Magical gamers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Magical gamers

A forum for games, stories and much more!

Phantom Memory

Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years
    You've been a pillar for an entire decade!

Phantom Memory Empty Phantom Memory

Post by Raymu Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:23 pm

Remnant's present is but one story to be told, one that is still unfolding even as we speak...

But perhaps a different story then. One that was told long ago, one that exists only as a shadow of what was, forever unchanging. An image formed from memories that have become unsealed. A time and place almost alien to the face of Remnant as it exists now.

A story of a boy, an empire, and a group of friends who will laugh, cry, triumph, and ultimately suffer together.

A story of two princesses whose kingdom is born of a terrible price that must be paid, and a people who regret paying it.

A story of an Emperor, racked with painful decisions and facing a future he cannot avert.

These people have little in common, and yet their destinies are intertwined in a way that cannot be broken. Just as the sun rises in the morning so too must their paths inevitably cross.

You should know that nothing you are about to witness can be changed, but that you shouldn't let this discourage you from carrying out your own destiny. Because no matter how much darkness seeps in and tries to corrupt you, you will carry a light that cannot be extinguished. You are not alone...You hold within you a power that brings great freedom

And unimaginable calamity.

Remember that you are the one who will carry this story into the future...

So wake up.

Wake up.

It's time to wake up...

"Wake up boy! Get out of bed already! You've been sleeping all morning!"

A man poked and prodded at his son, eventually gripping the blankets on his bed tightly and yanking them away, causing the boy to roll out of bed in surprise.

"Whoa-! Oof!"

The boy rubbed his head, slowly standing up and brushing himself off. He yawned lazily as he stretched his arms over his head for a moment, looking up at his father.

Phantom Memory Young_alba_solo

"Ahaha...I guess I lost track of time...?"

The man crossed his arms, giving his son a stern look and shaking his head.

"Honestly...Kairos you've become lazy lately! You've been showing little initiative unlike your younger sister! Worst of all whenever you're not sleeping in I find you taking naps under the trees, or staring off into the sky daydreaming! You're going to be the man of this family one day...I know you're still young but just humor your dad for once, alright? I want to go over our training again. You're bound to unlock your semblance if we keep working together every day."

Kairos rubbed the back of his head for a moment, nodding his head.

"Well, okay dad...But it's so tough! And you're so strong! You always end up just knocking me off of my feet before I even have a chance to do anything!"

The man grinned brightly, shaking his head as he walked out of their home and into the front yard where training dummies had been hastily set up. As Kairos stepped through the door he felt the warm sun shine on on his skin, he shielded his eyes as they adjusted to the bright morning light and he felt the gentle breeze blow against him, making each breath he took refresh both his body and soul. All around their home was an abundance of nature.

Their house sat in a clearing surrounded by trees on all sides, but rather than the fear brought on by grimm the forest gave an aura of peace no matter where you looked. The closest village could be seen standing just above the treeline, ensuring that any trips there would be safe and without risk of becoming lost. The area was quiet, only the sound of the gentle wind and birdsong filled their ears, and Kairos was keenly aware of the nature that existed all around them. As they finally made it to their training spot the father spoke up cheerfully, responding to what his son had just told him.

"That's why this training is so important! I might be harsh on you in combat, but I obviously won't ever go too far. Kairos...You have to understand that there are a lot of people out there who want to hurt you. A lot of people who want to hurt your mother, or your sister. They won't stop once they've knocked you off your feet. You're going to be ten years old soon, that's the first big step towards adulthood. Why, my grandfather gave me my first weapon when I was ten! It's a tradition in our family. ten years old marks the first great milestone, one worth celebrating more than usual! You're just ten years away from true adulthood by that point...And just like you, I had big shoes to fill.

Now then, are you ready? Just like we've been practicing!"

The father tossed a wooden practice sword to Kairos, it was as heavy as the real thing, the young boy struggled to heft it before, but with some time he had found that he was slowly adjusting to the weight of it. Although...Familiarity did little to help him against his much more experienced father when it came to actually fighting. Kairos gave him a nod and a smile, and the pair took up mirrored fighting stances.

"Begin!"

... And it was over in a flash. With one swift strike Kairos' father had won and Kairos himself was laying on his back staring up at the sky, wondering what had happened. As he wondered however a familiar face came into view, staring down at him with a smile.

Phantom Memory Mnemosyne_Younger

"Morning Kairos! Whatcha doin' on the ground?"

Kairos groaned in pain, trying his best to smile back at his younger sister.

"Hi Mnems...Y'know...Dad's training as usual. Ouch...Ahaha..."

Mnemosyne who was just three years younger than her brother held out a hand, offering to help him to his feet which the boy accepted without hesitation, finally getting up off of his back. He rubbed his back as he watched his dad who was quick to speak up.

"Don't look so discouraged boy! You'll get the hang of it yet. Remember, we've only been training for a year now, and just look at you! In that short amount of time you've already learned our family's blade stance, how to properly hold a sword, and how to brace yourself when taking a hit. The basics are just as important as anything else, never forget that. Behind every great warrior is a beginning. Just think...By the time you're a proper adult I'll have imparted on you everything you need to become as skilled as I am!"

Kairos grinned at his father, he was a little discouraged...But all the same he took those words to heart, if that were really true then maybe he was cut out for this kind of thing...Although the pain from being knocked over certainly made him wonder if that was true or not.

"Maybe you're right dad...I just dunno if I can really handle that kind of responsibility. I mean are there really that many people out there that wanna cause trouble for us? I've never seen 'em!"

The father's smile faded quickly as he stepped forward, putting a firm hand on Kairos's shoulder. it was clear just how serious he was, and what he had to say cemented that fact even further.

"That's the one thing I need you to trust me on above all else. There are people out there that don't just want to hurt us, they want to use us for their own ends. You see there's something we have that they want. Something not everyone can just get their hands on freely. And the worst thing is? They'll do anything they can to get it. I'm making you learn these things so that you can protect yourself when I can't, and maybe when the day comes you can protect everyone important to you, no matter who they are. I...Don't expect you to understand any of this right now. Not completely, but you will when you're older. That much I can be sure of."

The man took up a fighting stance again, his smile soon returning.

"Now then...Let's continue! Pick up your sword and let's keep going till we make progress!"

The day passed by quickly with the two sparring for hours on end, all with Mnemosyne watching on in excitement. Of course...Most of the fights merely ended in seconds with Kairos being knocked off his feet, but at the very least he managed to hang on longer and longer each time, even if he never got a chance to strike back against his father. But eventually time marched on, and the sun began to set, painting the sky hues of orange and red. The father and his two children heard a familiar voice call out to them.

"It's time to come back in you three! Dinner's ready!"

That familiar voice belonged to none other than the mother of this small family. She watched the trio with a smile on her face as they all turned to look in her direction.

"Okay mom!"
    "Okay mom!"

The day slowly came to a close on the peaceful life of this small family of four, daylight gave way to night as they sat down to a freshly cooked meal, wholly unaware of what time would bring to their doorstep.

"So Kyrios dear...What about the Minoan guard? Have you spoken with them yet about relocating? I know you had mentioned running into them the last time you went into the village for restocking our food. I really think it would be for the best...The children need a more stable place to grow in."

The father stopped eating for a moment to look at her, his expression was one of inner conflict.

"Well...No, I haven't seen them since then. I think their patrols don't take them out this far very often. But I also don't really know if that's such a good idea. I mean the city is a much different place from what Mnemosyne and Kairos are used to. It's such a fast pace, and the people there think differently. Their values are different. Not to mention it would be much harder to train the boy in a bustling place like that."

The mother frowned, sighing as she looked at both of her children, and then back at him.

"Yes, I know that. I know Minoa has it's own difficulties, but...It would be so much safer, wouldn't it? I mean what if those...People come to visit you again?"

Kairos perked up as he watched his mom, wondering who exactly "those people" were. He looked between both of his parents, speaking up between mouthfuls of food.

"Huh? What people? Dad, what people is mom talking about?"

Both Kairos and his sister looked at their father expectantly as he wiped his mouth before speaking up.

"It's nothing you need to worry about boy, just some strange people who spoke to me once at the village. It's nothing I can't handle. Eat your food."

"But dad-"

"I said eat!"

The two children silently ate their food as they averted their gaze, something clearly had him on edge...Something that would be made even worse when a distant sound was heard. It was...A scream.

"Someone get help! Oh sisters above! Someone please!"

The family looked between each other as the frantic screaming drew closer. Their stomachs sank as concern and fear gripped them tightly like a growing miasma. What was going on outside? The father stood up, staring at his family with a stern expression on his face. He swallowed his fear and spoke up calmly.

"I'm going to go check, if someone needs help then I need to offer them what I can. You three stay here, and don't come outside until I give the word. Son, I'm counting on you to keep your mother and sister safe if something happens."

Kairos swallowed hard as he felt his throat tighten...But he put on his bravest face, giving his father a nod. His father smiled at him, giving him an understanding nod before stepping outside and grabbing his sword on the way out.

The night air carried a slight chill, but more than that it carried a heavy feeling. Something wasn't right, and it wasn't just the cries for help. A man from the village scrambled onto their land from the treeline, breathing heavily and practically crawling towards the father.

"Oh thank the sisters! Kyrios! You have to come quickly! The village! It-"

As if waiting for the poor man to explain the situation, a burst of flame shot into the air above the treeline. More screaming soon followed in its wake. The man plead with Kyrios. Both of them could feel a chill run down their spines as the animals of the forest started to run wild, soon followed by a series of horrible shouting and laughter. Before Kyrios could even draw his blade the source was made clear; a squad of bandits being led by a woman who carried a commanding presence exited the treeline, slowly walking towards the house. The bandits were running wild even as the woman leading them kept her composure.

"Ahaha! We've come to collect!"

"Show us a good time! Woopwoop!"

"Gonna make you regret turning us down bastard!"

The woman raised her hand to silence the group, that poor villager who had fled from his fate was now being picked up off of the ground by two of the bandits.

"Gotcha you little bugger! Gonna rip you up and make stew outta you!"

"No! Please let me go! I...I'll give you everything I own! Just let me live!"

The woman walked right up to Kyrios, a cruel smile on her face.

"Kyrios my dearest friend! It's been far too long! You know...It really was quite rude of you to ignore us. I think we made quite a wonderful offer for you, don't you think? I tried to be reasonable...I know you have a family. I was once a mother myself! I do understand these things...But unfortunately you had to keep making the choices you did. It really, truly hurt me..."

The man scowled as he stared the woman down. He did everything he could to put on a brave face, but to be honest, this woman...This horrible, terrible woman...He felt every fiber of his being screaming at him to run away, to just grab his family and run as quickly as his legs could carry him. But rather than make his fear clear, he closed his eyes for a moment, taking a deep breath...

His scowl soon turned into a grin.

"And why exactly do you think I'd ever work with the fell witch herself? If you think I was gonna say yes to your offer you're either batshit insane... Or you're turning senile already."

One would have expected the woman to grow angry at his remarks. Even the bandits who surrounded her, awaiting her every command looked shocked and offended.

"Hey who do you think you are?!"

"C'mon let us kill him! Let us rip 'em to shreds!!!"

But rather than get angry, the woman gestured for her followers to be quiet yet again. Her smile never left her face. That cold, damnable smile...

"I don't think you heard me my dearest friend. You hurt me. And when my friends hurt me? Well...Someone has to be hurt in return. It's only fair don't you think?"

The woman glanced back at the captive villager and gave a nod.

"N...No! No please!!! Please don't-!"

One of the bandits grabbed his hand and twisted it until a sickening crack was heard, the man roared in pain.

"GAAHHHhhhhGHhh!!!"

"Ahaha! Look at em scream!"

The woman just continued to smile even as the villager screamed bloody murder, unable to even act on his instincts to clutch the affected area as the bandits held him in place.

"There now, you see? The poor man hurt himself because you didn't take the offer Kyrios! But no need to worry...I'm going to give you a chance to help him. All you have to do is accept my offer...Use your semblance to help me unite our world under a single banner. With your help we can make it a reality! A true utopia can be achieved...And all it takes is your agreement. it starts with you Kyrios."

The man was understandably left silent...He couldn't let that villager continue to be harmed, and chances are the fell witch would make sure his life came to an end the next time she was refused. He grabbed the hilt of his sword, ready to strike at a moment's notice. But that was when the woman began to laugh.

"Hahaha...Ahahaha! Aaahahahaha!!! My dearest friend! I see even now the life of this man isn't enough to sway you! Then maybe we need to provide greater incentive hm?"

Kyrio's face contorted into a look of horror, it took no time at all for him to understand exactly what she was insinuating, and soon enough it was made clear. Two bandits walked out of the house pushing Kyrios' family in front of them. His eyes went wide as he stared on in silent shock.

"Kyrios! These men! They're going to hurt the children!"

"Dad...!"

Kairos was shocked into utter silence, just like his father. He was entirely unarmed, unable to grab a weapon before the three of them had been ambushed. Kyrios finally broke his own silence.

"If you want my power so badly Fell Witch...THEN COME AND TAKE IT!"

The woman raised a hand calmly to signal the bandits to kill everyone, but it was too late. Within the blink of an eye Kyrios had closed the gap between himself and the two holding his family hostage. His movements were so fast as to be untraceable, and everyone watched as the pair of bandits practically fell apart from being sliced.

"Gh..!"

"Boss...No..."

The woman in charge paused for a moment...But soon raised her hand again, only to watch as Kyrios instantly closed the gap and killed the bandits holding the villager hostage. with everyone free Kyrios turned to his wife and children, shouting at them.

"Take the kids and run! Run as far away as you can!! Don't look back for even a second, I'll draw their attention! ... And Kairos."

The boy's father gave him a smile, staring him in the eyes.

"No matter how tough things get...A hero always smiles."

Kyrios leapt into action, and dashed left and right, seemingly faster than the very eyes of the bandits watching him, even though they did their best to fight back he cut them down one by one. Few managed to actually trade blade-strikes with him before themselves being cut down where they stood. As they fought, his family ran away with the injured villager not far behind them. The fell witch didn't seem phased...in fact even as her group faced heavy losses she just kept smiling.

"Kyrios, really. This behavior isn't becoming of you! I thought we were friends...Such a shame!"

"Shut up! I'll cut you down right here and now! Hraaagh!"

Shink! The sound of blade meeting flesh rang out in the yard of their home as Kyrios met his mark without even a second of delay. But rather than a dead leader at his hands...The fell witch simply stood there with his blade embedded deep inside of her, that cruel smile contorting into an unnatural, sickly cheshire grin as her mouth moved far wider than any human's could ever hope to.

"You can't kill me Kyrios! Come and try if you believe otherwise! I want to watch your bravado sink into the depths of despair!"

Meanwhile as the other four ran away from the chaos they could only hear the sounds of fighting following them...And they looked back in horror to see their home go up in flames. Not long after the silhouettes of bandits appeared in front of the flames, soon giving chance to them.

"K...Keep running! I'll...I'll hold them off! I'll buy you time!"

The villager turned to face his certain doom, and as the other three ran the sound of a man screaming out as he's overrun and slaughtered rang out behind them. It wasn't long before the bandits began chasing them down once more. As they ran Mnemosyne tripped on a branch, falling down onto her stomach and crying out to the other two. Their mother looked back at the approaching bandits with a look of fear on her face...But then she sighed, a look of resolve on her face as she helped Mnemosyne up.

"Kairos...Take your sister and hide. When you don't hear them anymore run okay?  I'm trusting you to take care of your sister Kairos. ... I love you both very much."

"... I won't let you down."

Kairos gave his mother a reassuring, determined nod of acceptance...He helped his sister onto his back, giving her a piggyback ride as he ducked into nearby bushes. Their mother gave them one last smile before hurrying away, leading the bandits after her rather than her children. The terrifying men rushed past the bushes unaware of what happened.

"This way! We're closing in on them!"

"They can't run far, we'll rip em to shreds! Ahaha!!!"

The sounds and voices soon grew into a distant whisper...And then the forest fell silent. Kairos and Mnemosyne were alone.

"Are mom and dad gonna be okay?"

Kairos looked down at his feet in silent contemplation for a moment...But he put on a brave smile, not once showing his fear to his younger sister.

"Aw c'mon! Dad's the strongest guy in the world! You know they're gonna be fine. You and me have gotta worry about ourselves first...So we won't worry mom."

Mnemosyne gave her brother a smile right back, she was terrified, just like he was, but the two of them kept each other going, even as things got tough.

"Now let's get going. We've gotta find someone to help. Dad's counting on us!"

Kairos made sure his sister was secure as he carried her, and he exited the bushes hurrying off. He wasn't really sure where to go...He had never been beyond his home and the village, but he knew that eventually he'd find help. Someone somewhere had to be out there waiting to help them.

"There they are! I see them!"

"So the lost little kiddies got separated huh?! Ahaha! They're runnin' scared!"

Kairos looked back and scowled at the bandits who were once more giving chase. He wasn't going to give up! He ran as fast as his legs would carry him. But unfortunately being much smaller than his pursuers, and carrying the weight of another person on his back slowed him down...The bandits soon caught up, circling the siblings.

"Aww, ya scared?! Aha!"

"Don't worry, we'll make it quick!"

"Really? I was gonna shove them on a pike!"

"Ya don't know how to deal with kids. See you gotta be all genteeeel like with em!"

Kairos gently sat his sister down behind him...Glaring daggers at the bandits. He raced for the nearest tree branch he could find and hefted it up, swinging it wildly at one of the bandits! Unfortunately the improvised weapon snapped as it struck against his opponent...And said opponent responded by grabbed the young boy by the neck and lifting him up off of the ground.

"Gh...Ghhh...Ghk!-"

"How about this? is this gentle enough?"

"Yeah, now gently strangle the life outta this little bastard!"

The bandit had Kairos' neck between his hands...And he slowly, sadistically began to squeeze down...Mnemosyne screamed out in anger.

"Stop!! Put him down!!!"

"Put him down you say...? I'll put him down alright. Permanently."

The bandit suddenly squeezed tightly, restricting Kairos' ability to breathe! It was all over...Up until an arrow suddenly went straight through the bandit's head. A massive, primitively constructed arrow.

"Guh-"

"What the hell?! We're under attack!"

"You're gonna pay for killing my buddy!"

Kairos was dropped by the now lifeless bandit corpse, and he quickly scrambled away, crawling back over to his sister and gripping her tightly in a hug in an effort to protect her. The bandits attention was now turned to the forest ahead of them as several more arrows flew in, striking more of them dead on the spot. The responsible party would soon reveal themselves...Towering men and women with blue skin, each of them carrying primitive but powerful weapons. There were two at the front of the pack who clearly commanded the others. A towering man, and a smaller, older looking female. They were none other than Oni...The mythical race that lived in the forests.

The leader of the group called out to the others.

"Looks like we made it just in time...Don't let a single one of them escape! Protect those children and don't let the stragglers harm them!"

The oni rushed in with a resounding yell of war, it was enough to make the forest itself shake from their power. Their leader led the group, striking each bandit with powerful swings of his weapon. The older woman rushed over to the two children, putting up a barrier of pure magic as one of the bandits attempted to fire an arrow at the children. Kairos closed his eyes tightly as he saw the arrow coming for him...Only for the painful impact to never arrive. He looked up at his savior, his eyes going wide as the young boy realized he and his sister were safe.

"Y-You're..."

Kairos was exhausted...He could hardly even finish speaking. The old woman smiled down at him.

"You're safe now. Just rest..."

The bandits watched on in horror as their group was quickly routed. Before they were totally wiped out however, that spine chilling woman arrived, a smile on her face as always.

"You pathetic cretins can't leave my sight for five seconds without dying in droves, can you? No matter...The oni have been a thorn in my side for longer than I care to admit."

"B...But we're being slaughtered!"

"That certainly isn't my problem, is it?"

The oni quickly picked up the two children and carried them back behind their front line, it took little time for their leader to spot the fell witch arriving on the battlefield, and he knew better than to risk going up against her right now.

"We've won! It's time to leave! Mother, use the illusionary field spell so that we can retreat!"

The old woman nodded with a smile, raising her hands as the forest soon became enveloped in fog. The bandits hesitated as they watched their enemy retreat into the trees.

"Should we follow them?!"

The fell witch shook her head, simply watching as her prey escaped into the fog they had created. It was clear from the look on her face that this meant nothing to her, it wasn't even the most minor of set backs. Perhaps it wasn't even an inconvenience...

"No, let them flee. It won't be much longer until there's no place left for them to hide...Besides, those children will be invaluable to me soon enough, I only have to wait until they're malleable...Let us depart this place and leave behind the ashes of those who defied us."

Kairos watched the bandits who had attacked him and his sister fade into the fog behind him as he was carried away by the oni. His adrenaline had finally run dry as his body gave in to its exhaustion, and he felt his eyes grow heavy until he soon fell into a deep sleep...He wouldn't wake up again until he and his sister were brought to the oni's village. The place they would learn to call home for some time...

And that was but a single moment in this story...There is so much more. So many memories left to be seen. Sleep comes with the rising of the moon.

And then when the sun arrives...
    it's time once more to wake up.

Wake up...

[End of part one]

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    Phantom Memory TowersignatureBorderSmaller
    More Things:
    Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years

Phantom Memory Empty Re: Phantom Memory

Post by Raymu Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:06 pm

Kairos jolted awake, sitting up in his bed in a panic. A cold sweat dripped from his face as he worked to slow his breathing, looking around the room in a panic he realized this...Wasn't his bedroom. The night before had felt like a terrible nightmare, but the fact that he had woken up in an unfamiliar bed, in a room he didn't recognize, surrounded by things that weren't familiar to him revealed the unfortunate truth; what happened last night was real. But...Where was he now? The room was quiet, nobody else was around. Well, what about the decor of the room? It was...Really unlike anything he had seen before, unfortunately that too left no clues as to where he was now.

With only one real avenue for figuring this out left to him, the young boy climbed out of bed and started to make his way to the only door in the room. As soon as his feet hit the floor he became keenly aware of the injuries he had sustained the night before. His left leg shot signals to his brain giving him a sharp pain that traveled all the way up...It must have been a sprain from when that bandit dropped him. Kairos grabbed his leg tightly.

"Ouch..."

His throat ached with a dull pain as well, the markings from the man who tried to choke him to death still present. But the boy was determined to figure things out first and foremost. He slowly walked towards the doorway, ignoring the pain he felt in his whole body. The door was covered by a heavy cloth curtain that blocked most of the light coming in. Rays of morning sunlight shone through the edges that the curtain failed to conceal, giving away the fact that this door most certainly led outside. Kairos placed a hand against the curtain and pushed it above him as he walked through, the light of the outdoors filling his vision for only a moment until his eyes had a chance to adjust to the scene in front of him...

Phantom Memory Oni_VIllage

A primitive looking village that was integrated naturally with the forest around it was what he witnessed once his eyes finally adjusted. To say the boy was shocked would be an understatement. Everywhere he looked he saw people of great stature walking from place to place. Men, women...Even children that looked around his age were a little bit taller than he was.

Kairos stared on wide eyed, almost too surprised to even move or speak up. His father had told him stories of a race of people who lived in the forests, but all this time he believed it to be nothing more than a fairy tail...The oni were real after all, and it looked as though he was now standing in the middle of their village. Eventually one of the oni spotted him standing there and called out to him.

"Oi! I see you finally got out of bed! We were starting to think you might not wake up at all. The chieftain wants to speak with you! He's in the Gathering Hall. - That's the great big tree in the middle of the village."

Kairos stared at the towering man in silence, giving him a slow, confused nod, acknowledging that he heard him clearly. The oni went right back to the work he was doing afterwards, seemingly unconcerned now that he had relayed the message he was tasked with giving. In all this confusion Kairos had almost forgotten about his sister. His first thought was that she might be there with the village's chieftain too. That thought and the concern he had for his sister caused the boy to race down the path straight for the great tree that towered over the rest of the village.

The Gathering Hall was impressive. The people living here had carved the base of this towering tree into a building, a place for the village to congregate. It seems these oni shared a lot of things in a communal manner - Their meals, their song and dance, their hobbies and interests. It was odd for a boy like Kairos who had lived a relatively secluded life up until now. He only ever went to the village with his father, and spent most of his days on the land that belonged to his family. As Kairos entered the open-air hall he saw his sister sitting at a table with the older woman who had protected them last night, the pair were chatting with each other happily while Mnemosyne ate a freshly prepared meal. In between bites she looked up from her meal and spotted Kairos, waving at him with a bright smile on her face.

The boy felt a wave of relief wash over him as he saw that despite everything that had happened to them, she was still okay...scanning the room Kairos saw the chieftain speaking with another oni, a gruff, older-looking man. He could overhear the man complaining to his leader...

"I'm telling you, bringing those human children here will cause nothing but trouble for us...What if someone comes looking for them? They'll certainly think that we've kidnapped them. It would bring disaster to our people if we were viewed as monsters who steal away children and eat them in the dead of night."

The mighty leader of the oni spotted Kairos and called him over with a cheerful tone in his voice. He looked to his fellow oni and sighed, motioning for him to go for now.

"I understand your concerns but...Listen, we'll talk about this later. I have something important to speak with the boy about. Ah, yes! It's good to see you boy! Kairos was it? Your sister told us your name. I hope this whole situation hasn't been too difficult for you considering the circumstances. Come closer! I want to speak with you. I promise I won't bite! Hahaha!"

Kairos gave the man a calm nod, stepping over to him.

"Have a seat. You don't have to be so formal around me you know? You're a guest in our home. I always treat my guests with the greatest respect."

The young human calmly sat down in a seat across from the village's leader, an emotionless look on his face as he did so. The chieftain cleared his throat, trying to find the right words to say. Something like this was never easy, even more so when it was a child.

"I suppose we should start with the difficult part...It's not easy to hear, but you have a right to hear it. We sent scouts at first light to search the area from yesterday. Your mother was nowhere to be found, but your father...I'm afraid he's dead. Your home and the village nearby had both been completely burned to the ground. We don't have any way of knowing if anyone from the village made it away safely, but many people have passed away. I'm sorry."

The man bit the metaphorical bullet and said the truth outright. It was a very difficult thing to say and there wasn't exactly a delicate way of saying it. But he was a fairly good judge of character, he felt confident Kairos could handle it, even if it took time to process it all. The boy gripped his legs tightly as his hands rested on them, his gaze locked on the table between them. He fought back tears, attempting to put on a brave face. Everything he had ever known, his home, most of his family, the people he knew...They were gone. All he had left was his little sister now. Despite his grief it cemented his desire to protect her even more now. Without their father he would have to be an adult she could rely on.

"...Thank you...For saving us."

The man did his best to smile, Kairos needed to see that more than anything right now.

"You don't have to thank me. I only did what was right. And you don't owe us anything, either. And naturally if you have any questions I would be glad to answer them of course."

The young boy looked up at him, giving him a nod. There was one question he had to know. Just one thing above all else weighed on his mind...It wasn't something he could shake off so easily.

"... Who was it that did all of this? That woman...Who was she?"

The chieftain's face quickly shifted as that question was asked. His entire tone changed and he closed his eyes...But he answered the question.

"That was an enemy to the world itself. A being that has existed perhaps even longer than the oni as a whole...She's known only as the Fell Witch. Though she may look human she is as far from that as possible. I tell you all of this only to warn you; Don't go after her. Don't seek her out, it's better that you try to forget about her entirely.

The Fell Witch wields incredible power and seeks to bring this world to its knees. If she ever succeeds all living things will perish...And then with the land barren, the sun will fall from the sky, ushering in eternal night. I don't know why she destroyed your home, or what she wanted with you...But you must never cross paths with her again."

The fell witch...The one who had defeated his father. The one who caused Kairo's entire world to shatter. He understood the warnings given to him, he even knew he was no match for the fell witch the way he was right now...But that didn't stop his desire to find her, even just one more time, all so he could ask her himself why...Why she did all of this. He only wanted to understand.

But with all of this aside, the chieftain stood up from his seat, his serious expression had faded into a calm stoicism. With the bad news out of the way it was now time for them to discuss the future. The immediate future.

"As things stand now...You're the head of your family. Your sister is counting on you now more than ever. Maybe you aren't an adult yet, but I think after everything you've been through you deserve this question; What do you want to do now? I don't like your chances trying to live on your own in the wilderness, the Empire's great wall of energy only extends so far, terrible creatures of evil known as the grimm will prey on you both. As you are now...I don't think you're capable of fighting back.

Your other choice...Is to stay with us here, in our village you'll be safe. Some of our people are distrustful of humans...We are different from your kind, we fear persecution. But I am their leader, they will accept it if it is your choice. Just know that you'll have to earn their respect. I can make them accept you, but I can't make them trust you.

This isn't something I can decide for you. I can only suggest what I think would be best...I can tell you care about your sister a great deal. I think she would be happy here, with you to watch over her."

Kairos once more found himself looking down at the table that separated the two of them. It was a difficult question to ask someone who was only nine years old, much less someone who had lived a longer life than him. As much as he wracked his brain to try and find an answer, there was a single knawing thought that ate away at his brain...There was one thing he wanted more than anything else. Kairos stared up at the towering blue-skinned man, a look of determination on his face.

"I...I want to get stronger, sir! I want to get stronger so that nothing like this ever happens again! I want to get stronger so I can protect my sister! I...I want her to be able to smile and never have to worry about anything! I wanna be stronger so I can live up to my dad's dream of seeing me surpass him! I want all of that no matter the cost! So...So if staying here means you'll help me...Then I want to stay here in your home, with my sister! At least until we can find a new home..."

There was a moment of tense silence between the two of them. Oni and Human...But the chieftain slowly smiled and placed a hand on the boy's shoulder, patting him gently.

"If that's what you really want...Then it will be done. You can call our village home for as long as you'd like. My people will find humans willing to accept you with open arms should you ever choose to return to your world. In the mean time I will teach you the skills handed down to me by countless generations before me, I will teach you true strength. Not just in combat but in life itself. Although...I hope you're prepared to work hard! The kind of strength you're seeking doesn't come without giving all of yourself in exchange."

For the first time since yesterday, Kairos finally smiled. He was able to return the man's smile with one of his own. A smile that could light a room. With a single nod he had sealed the deal. ... Their moment of understanding between each other was cut short as the young boy's stomach growled.

"Ah- Um...I guess all of this made me forget about food..."

The man stared at him in disbelief for a moment until he began to laugh. it was a soft laugh that grew into a loud, hearty laugh. Kairos smiled up at him as they exchanged a positive moment together.

And so Kairos and Mnemosyne began a new life in the village of the Oni. Mnemosyne came to learn of their culture while Kairos dedicated his time to helping them with the more physically inclined labor in between combat training sessions. Weeks passed as the boy slowly shaped his body into that of a budding young warrior, struggling with each step along the way. And within those weeks Kairos found himself training with the village's greatest warriors.

Weeks turned into months...Both Kairos and Mnemosyne bonded with the chieftain's family. His grandmother and his wife. The two of them taught the children practical wisdom. And with months came a full year that had finally elapsed. Kairos and Mnemosyne had slowly gained the trust of the people that called this forest home...No, more than that, the pair had become like family to these people who lived in an entirely different world.

Kairos had spent this day - Like most of his days, training with the elder warriors, and the chieftain.

"Just like I taught you. Focus your mind on your surroundings. If you put too much thought into holding a proper stance you'll lose focus."

The boy, now a year older, gave his teacher a nod...He took a deep breath as he raised his weapon into a basic stance. - This stance was almost alien to the one his father had taught him. it was relaxed, not tight, but where it lacked a serious image it made up for by allowing him snap movements. And as the village leader swung his training weapon wide Kairos was able to watch it and time a hop to go above it entirely. However though he had improved considerably in a year, Kairos was still not a warrior by any measure. The leader responded by stopping his movement and sending the blade right back towards the smaller combatant immediately, and though Kairos moved to block it...The difference in strength between the two, well...He was tossed quite roughly by the impact. He rolled to a stop.

"Whooaaa!- Oof!"

The chieftain shook his head, sighing...But he had a smile on his face as he walked over to the boy, reaching out his hand to help Kairos to his feet.

"You've come a long ways in such a short time. Just a year ago you wouldn't have been able to last a single strike from my blade. But now you're able to dodge once or twice. Take pride in your improvement boy! It's the small victories that mean the most. A word of advice to take to heart. If you can't match the raw strength of your opponent, use your advantages against them! You're a spry fighter, I've noticed how quick on your feet you seem to be. If they can't hit you then their strength means nothing."

Kairos gripped the man's hand, being lifted up onto his feet with ease. The boy rubbed the back of his head, smiling as he listened to the advice being given to him.

"Ahaha... I guess that would leave me knocked off me feet a lot less huh...?"

The oni gave him a nod.

"That it would. I suppose that's enough for today, boy. You've done well enough and there's no need to push yourself further."

Kairos gave his teacher a respectful bow before turning to leave. Although before he could get very far the oni man called out to him.

"Oh, Kairos. We have a surprise for you. Something I think you and your sister both will be excited to hear. But before that Grandmother wants to meet with you. It's something about your inner self...I suppose you could call it a rite of passage for my people, it would be an honor if you would participate."

The boy beamed a bright grin as he looked back at his teacher.

"Whatever it is I'll handle it no problem, just you wait and see!"

He rushed off to meet with the wise elder of the oni who was already speaking with Mnemosyne when he arrived.

"I see in your soul...Purity unlike anything I've ever seen before. A bright, blinding light that cannot be hidden away...Young lady I believe you are truly special. Never let that light inside you be extinguished."

The old woman held up a strange charm that reflected Mnemosyne's image back at her, it was what the oni referred to as a "Soul Charm." An object said to show the wearer their true essence. With it the elder could see into the soul of a child taking part in this tradition.

"Wow...Hey big bro! Look! I'm pure of heart!"

Kairos laughed, giving his sister a big grin.

"You sure are Mnems!"

"Now young lady, I want you to take this charm and keep it close to you always. It will forever be a reflection of who you are, it can help guide you towards what is right, and in your darkest moments, perhaps it can remind you of who you really are deep inside."

The young girl took hold of the charm, smiling at the kind old woman as she looked at the reflective trinket with amazement and wonder. Mnemosyne stood up from her seat and stood aside, showing the charm to her brother. Finally it was Kairos' turn, and the woman motioned for him to take a seat.

"Now, close your eyes and focus only on your inner self...I will use this charm to see into your very soul."

The woman held up a charm as Kairos shut his eyes tightly...He let his mind go blank until there was nothing but void.

"I see...Ah! The image is revealing itself!"

Miraculously, the same type of mirror charm that had been completely normal when held up to Mnemosyne was - When held up to her brother, beginning to cloud over. The cloudy mist within the mirror image began to dance and create imagery. The image of a spire formed as it reflected the boy back at him. Soon the spire fell into miasma, that formless cloud changed shape once more, this time becoming a nameless beast that bore its fangs before closing them tightly around the reflected image of Kairos.

"I see a troubled soul that is on the verge of great change...The great dark mother has her eyes on you...You should take care to stay on the path of righteousness, for I see a future of turmoil should you fail to heed these words..."

Finally the misty shape settled onto the image of a vague humanoid wielding a sword before the image was "frozen" onto the mirror...

"But walking the path of light will carry you into a bright tomorrow, of that you can be assured...You can open your eyes now young one. I have peered into your soul and seen the truth of who you are. Do not fear, and hold onto this charm always. It will keep you safe."

The boy gave her a nod, taking the charm carefully and inspecting the image that was seared into the mirror carefully...He was amazed at the mystics he had just participated in. He pocketed the charm and stood up from his seat, bowing to the woman.

"Thank you! I'll take good care of the charm, promise!"

"I should hope so boy, because the two of you have a long journey ahead of yourselves."

A familiar voice chimed in from behind them. The village's chieftain had returned to share the surprise waiting for the siblings, exactly as he had promised. Though Mnemosyne wasn't exactly aware of what he meant by that, Kairos knew well what he was getting at.

"Then, does that mean...?"

"Yes, a human family willing to take the both of you in came forward. Well...I suppose human isn't entirely accurate actually...I believe they are what the human world calls "Faunus". I'm sure the details don't matter to you all that much boy! It took us some time to find anyone willing to speak with our people...And even longer to find someone who was willing to raise children. Their home is within the heart of the Minoan Empire. It's a safe place...Even though we will be sad to say goodbye, this isn't our final goodbye."

The man knelt down to be eye level with both of the children, placing a hand on each of their shoulders.

"Even though we come from different worlds, and carry different lineages, you will always be a part of us. And I hope after all we've shared, that we will always be a part of you, too."

Mnemosyne and Kairos both gave him warm smiles.

"We'll never ever let you out of our hearts! Even if big bro forgets stuff sometimes...I won't let him forget about you!"

"Yeah! No matter what, I won't-Hey!!!"

With a bright new future ahead of them the siblings gathered their things and headed to the village's exit. An envoy of Oni warriors was waiting for them, prepared to safely guide them to the forest's edge. From there it would be up to them to make their way to the place they would call home from now on. But it wasn't just the warriors who had gathered there. - The entire village was waiting for them, everyone waiting to say their goodbyes. The siblings were moved by the display before them. These people truly had become another family for them...And to that end the chieftain had a reminder for them both.

"You'll always be welcome here, both of you. Mnemosyne, your purity brought new perspectives to all of us. And Kairos...I haven't yet imparted all I wish to teach you. So, you have to make a promise with me. No matter how long it takes, promise me that you'll return to our village again some day so that I can finish teaching you how to become a warrior!"

Kairos gave him a nod, smiling at him brightly.

"It's a promise! I'll come back way stronger than I am now so we can finish training! No matter what I'm gonna become someone my dad would be proud of, just you wait and see!"

The siblings climbed onto a horse drawn carriage as the crowd of villagers waved and cheered. the both of them waved back, saying their last goodbyes as the carriage began to roll away, led by a group of the oni's strongest warriors.

Their adventure had begun...The future lay ahead of them as the great city of Minoa towered above the trees, growing closer with each passing moment. The cheers of the oni grew quieter and quieter until it faded away. Though only a year had passed, the two of them were a year older, a year stronger, and a year wiser. Their journey took several days, the empire visible in the distance serving as an ever present reminder of their destination, with each day it seemed to only grow larger and larger...Until they had finally arrived. The city of Serifos - A city that protected the bridge into the Empire's jewel; Minoa. Serifos was the city they had been directed to, and it was the place where the siblings would meet their destiny.

[END OF PROLOGUE]

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    More Things:
    Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years

Post by Raymu Wed May 31, 2023 10:21 pm

Six years passed in the blink of an eye. Civilization marched forward just as it always has, just as it always will. The boy who left the village of the oni returned to the world of the humans, determined to become stronger so that he might find the fell witch again one day. He and his sister became part of a new family, a family of faunus that took the pair under their roof as though they had always belonged. This was a family headed by one of the generals of the Minoan Empire. A powerful man who had swept the land of bandits and savages with his own two hands. Asteros, one of the trusted generals of Minoa. For his faithful service to the Empire he was gifted a large plot of land on the coast beyond Minoa where he chose to build it into a sustainable farm. This is the place where Kairos and Mnemosyne have lived since their return to the human world. A farm on the outskirts of the Minoan coastal city of Pythia.

But there is still so much to be seen. So many images of the past left to be recounted. It's time to wake up.

It's time to wake up now...

Wake up...

" ... Wake up!"

The boy opened his eyes slowly, the warm blue sky hanging above. The curtain of sleep fell away and he saw a familiar face standing over him, calling for him to wake up. His sister smiled at him, laughing playfully as she watched his eyes looking back up at her.

Phantom Memory Mnemosyne

"Finally got you to wake up lazy! Foros and that old man have been waiting for you for over an hour now!"

The boy was still a little lost in the realm of sleep, his mind taking in her words very slowly... ... until his eyes shot open wide in a split second. The true realization of what Mnemosyne was saying caught up to him and the boy sat up straight.

"That was today?! Crap crap crap! I'm gonna be late!"

Kairos stood up and dusted himself off, grabbing his training sword and rushing off back to the farm to meet up with the others. Mnemosyne called out to him but realized he was already gone before he could hear her.

"Wait! You're already...Late. Sigh...Kairos you dummy!"

Within a few minutes Kairos arrived where Foros and the advisor were waiting. He stopped abruptly, kicking up dirt and propping his upper body up by resting his hands on his knees, desperately trying to catch his breath.

"I'm here! Told ya I'd make it on time Foros! I....Phew...! I said I'd make it and I did! Heheh!"

The boy stood up straight, despite his clear failure to show up to an important meeting in any amount of reasonable time, he seemed confident in his tone of voice despite that. His stature carried him despite his clumsiness, and he gave the other two a grin.

Phantom Memory AlbaPast1

Kairos had grown a lot in the last six years. Though he was still short in stature, and to some looked meek, he had grown away from the reserved quiet boy he was so long ago. Now even in failure he was confident, and today was no different. An advisor from the Emperor himself had come to appraise Kairos and his adopted brother to see if they were worthy of being conscripted into the Empire's military. The old man stared silently at the boy as he seemed to be quietly observing...The old man suddenly broke his own silence.

Phantom Memory Old_man

"Hmmph...Careless! Tactless! Absolutely unbecoming of a man worthy of bearing the Empire's flag!"

Kairos stared at him in surprise as the advisor suddenly tore into him, heavily criticizing not just how late he was, but how he carried himself too. Before he could even really respond the old man swung his staff down and smacked Kairos directly on the head!

"Hah-? Ouch!!! Hey! What was that for-?!"

And then without missing a beat the old man's cane swept itself low and caught Kairos on the back of his leg, tripping him right onto the ground. Dirt kicked up from the impact and the boy was almost too shocked to sit up as he took a moment to register what happened to him.

"Eh? Eh? Eh? ... What?"

Foros sat nearby, sighing and shaking his head as he watched Kairos get tripped up rather quickly. The smaller boy sat up to look at his brother as Foros spoke up.

Phantom Memory E

"Honestly brother, you're as irresponsible as ever. Did you think because he was simply an advisor that he would be a pushover? Or even the slightest bit unprofessional? I can't believe you're an hour late on a day like today. Didn't we agree to join the Military together?"

Foros stood calmly, stepping over to the advisor and bowing respectfully. He spoke up, addressing the old man in an attempt to ease the harsh critique that was going on right now.

"I understand first impressions are important, but if it would please the Emperor, I implore you to give him an opportunity to show his capability. He's the son of our great general after all. I know him better than perhaps anyone short of our dear sister. I know what he's capable of because I've trained with him for years now."

The advisor sighed, it wasn't proper to simply accept someone after a display like that, but he couldn't argue with the faunus' statements, and the Emperor would be displeased if he lost a potentially useful soldier over a few minor mistakes. The old man grumbled, nodding hesitantly.

"... I may be making a mistake myself...But very well. We'll proceed with the demonstration, just as we planned earlier. I want to see what the two of you are capable of in combat. Hold nothing back!"

Kairos got up off of the ground, grinning brightly as he had been given another chance to prove his worth. He picked up his training sword and stood in front of Foros, brandishing the weapon excitedly. Even the normally stoic Foros couldn't help but smile in excitement. He stood strong in front of the smaller lad and pulled a wooden staff from his back, spinning it rapidly in one hand before grabbing it with both hands and pointing the end at Kairos.

"Just like we've been preparing for, Kairos. Show me everything you've learned."

"Here we go!!!"

Kairos' aura flared to life as he rushed forward, unleashing a flurry of blade strikes at the faunus, who raised his staff to block and deflect each one. Foros swung his staff wide and low, aiming for the human's feet, but Kairos leapt backwards, evading it and leaving the faunus wide open...

"Gotcha!"

Kairos rushed right back in, hitting Foros with left and right swings from his wooden blade, the faunus's aura shimmered in each place that was struck before the human dug his feet into the ground, swinging upwards and sending Foros airborne. The faunus looked like he was on the backfoot...Up until he smiled while flying through the air, suddenly spinning his body in a way that gave him control over his descent.

"Good...But you have to follow through!"

Foros went into a wild spin as he extended his staff on a collision course right for Kairos. The boy panicked for a moment as he remembered exactly how hard the coming attack was to counter...But then he slowed down, taking a deep breath as he recalled a memory...Kairos slide one leg behind himself, purposefully digging it into the dirt. His aura grew more apparent and he closed his eyes, focusing as hard as possible...Foros finally closed the distance...And Kairos opened his eyes.

"... There!"

The faunus thrust his staff down overhead, but Kairos had already shifted his blade in the perfect position to block it. What followed were a series of lightning fast strikes from completely random angles, the faunus seemed to sparkle underneath the sunlight as his speed reached inhuman levels...Anyone else would have been overwhelmed as he unleashed strikes so tightly aimed and so fast that there would be little time to truly react to them. And yet, for the first few strikes...Kairos' sword was already in place to block and deflect - Long before the strikes even came. He was managing to stand strong against Foros' strongest attack, even as the boy was literally digging a trench in the dirt from being pushed backwards. But eventually the faunus's attacks picked up pace even quicker, and Kairos found his movements not being able to match. his blocking became sloppier, his sword bounced away from attacks or pushed into awkward angles, and due to being dug into the dirt he had little options for movement.

Eventually one of the staff strikes knocked his training sword out of his hands...And with a smile Foros jabbed the end of his wooden staff right towards Kairos' chest. But at the last possible moment the human raised his arms in front of himself, his forearms taking the brunt of that final strike as he was knocked rather violently away. Rather than being knocked on his back, this time Kairos managed to orient himself to land on his knees as he slid backwards to a stop. The human began to stand up when he heard the advisor call out.

"Enough! I've seen all I need to."

Both of the combatants stopped in their tracks, their auras faltering and eventually fading as they both attempted to catch their breaths. Foros had to prop himself up with his staff while Kairos could only remain on the ground. A lot of thoughts ran through their minds...Had they done enough to make an impression? Were they deemed worthy or not? And yet...Despite the concerns on their minds. The brothers had smiles on their faces. That battle had been the culmination of six years of training and it felt like every bit of that training mattered today. The old man grumbled silently as he rubbed his beard.

"Sons of Asteros...You still have a long ways to go before you can live up to his name. But...You certainly seem to have promise given your match. Kairos, son of Asteros. Your movements are still too wild, there is too much wasted energy. But I can see you are able to operate under extreme pressure. That is a trait worthy of a warrior...Foros, the son of light, the one who carries the sun. Your talent in combat is everything I had been told of and perhaps a little bit more. You are truly gifted in acting not just quickly, but decisively. ... However...You still have a lot of refinement to achieve.

You allowed a decisive strike to fail on you which allowed Kairos to land several strikes on you. Admittedly I can't say one or the other won the match today...You seem to have both landed an equal number of hits on one another, but it was shameful to allow your opponent an opening that wide. Remember, in true combat an opening like that could spell your end. If you are going to go for a leg sweep you MUST ensure your enemy cannot anticipate it."

The advisor lowered his head, closing his eyes as he went deep into thought. His critique certainly cut deeply, but one could tell it wasn't a definitive answer on whether or not he would judge them worthy of the Empire's fighting force. He raised his head, stern eyes now staring back at the brothers.

"Yes...You're flawed, you lack discipline...But I see potential in both of you. I have a lot to discuss with the Emperor and my cohorts. Hmm...I can't give judgement today. No, there's no possible way I could come to a verdict today. I must return to the capital city immediately, I must return to Mu! I will meet with the both of you again soon. On the day I return I will deliver my judgement."

Kairos scratched his head in confusion...He gave the old man a strange look, was that really all he had to say about the effort they just put in?

"C'mon...You can't just leave us hanging like that! Are we soldiers or not?- oof."

Foros jabbed an elbow into his brother's side to quickly quiet him. Kairos rubbed the back of his head in embarrassment as he sighed, defeated.

"He promised to return. All we can do for now is continue preparing."

The old man bid them both good day and left, traveling back to the Empire's capital on foot. Whether or not they were to join the ranks of their father's army was something that would have to wait for now. As the advisor disappeared beyond the horizon, Foros grinned at his brother, patting him on the head.

"Don't relax just because it's over. You and I are going to be training even harder until he returns. We have to be ready, whether his result means we're in, or whether it means we have to try again next year."

Kairos grinned in return, giving his brother a confident nod.

"Hey don't think I'm gonna stop training just 'cause of one disappointment! You're the one who should worry about relaxing too much, I almost blocked your special attack, that means I'm about to surpass you!"

The faunus laughed, shaking his head.

"You got lucky, that's all! It won't happen again, that's for sure. Race you back to the house?"

"You're on! I definitely won't be beat when it comes to who's faster!"

The pair ran back to the family home as quickly as their legs could carry them, the sun began to set on the horizon as another day came to a close...Only tomorrow would tell what their fates would be.

[END OF PART ONE]

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    More Things:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:36 am