Magical gamers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Magical gamers

A forum for games, stories and much more!

2 posters

Murder Drones: A new Type of Witchhunt

Nothost
    Nothost
    Super Friend
    Super Friend
    Three years
    You've been a member for three whole years!

Murder Drones: A new Type of Witchhunt Empty Murder Drones: A new Type of Witchhunt

Post by Nothost Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:44 pm

You'd think that with a literal monster running around on a planet with an environment inhospitable to human life, one wouldn't go off on their own. Expecially if they needed a suit to make sure that the environment didn't destroy them. But that's exactly what Cloris Jade was doing. Right now the snow wasn't falling too heavily, and it was daylight outside.

That latter part was the most important element. It had been established that whatever creature was hunting them despised sunlight. And Cloris was able to make headway to places easier with her modified body. It was quicker to travel on her own then having to pace herself to make sure someone else kept up with her.

That wasn't to say she took no precautions at all. She had rigged up a distress beacon that Aegis would be able to pick up on and relay to the others. And of course she was going to make sure to say in semi-frequent communication. There was a chance that this mission wouldn't be very long: if there was nothing more she could find, then she was going to have to return to the colony as quickly as she could.

The spire of Cloris's destination came into view. The last time she was there, she had Karasu with her. Now it was just up to her to explore the library.

Murder Drones: A new Type of Witchhunt DsUmcnQ

Fortunately Cloris knew exactly how to get inside this time around. And assuming nothing got in the way, she would make her way back to the room within the dome.

The first thing Cloris did was look around for any sign that Type 99 had received her coded message. She was hoping that there would be something there for her to decode left by the disassembly drone. If there wasn't, then she was simply going to have to take a closer look at all the other clues in this room.

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    Murder Drones: A new Type of Witchhunt 2pq8T3s
    Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years
    You've been a pillar for an entire decade!

Murder Drones: A new Type of Witchhunt Empty Re: Murder Drones: A new Type of Witchhunt

Post by Raymu Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:44 pm

Thankfully just as Cloris had suspected, the daylight brought a certain safety. She was not only able to enter the building, but make her way into the spire's hidden room all without any attacks. Curiously, the hidden room looked...Almost untouched. Save for one thing. A single snowy footprint next to the table that had held the device Cloris picked up the night before. The walls were barren just as they had been before, but once again, any sort of black light would reveal a different truth - And the truth had been changed from their last visit. New markings lined the walls, indicating that Type-99 had returned. This time a highly detailed mural lined the wall above the table, it was displayed prominently and with purpose. It contained drawings of the White Aberrant, The drone mass Cloris and Karasu had fought on the ship, the strange shadow beings Karasu and Cloris ran from, and then a fourth entity that hadn't been encountered by anyone so far...White Aberrant and the Drone Mass each had an X drawn over them, clearly indicating that Type-99 was aware of their destruction. The shadow beings themselves had several jagged question marks surrounding them. It seems even 99 was still trying to figure them out.

This fourth target however...It had no such markings to be found. It was a highly stylized drawing that almost resembled the stone gargoyle statues that would often line the walls of gothic structures, but...No that wasn't entirely correct either. One hand was skeletal, while the other resembled a human hand. In it's human hand a spear with electric sparks coming off of the tip, while its skeletal hand held chains that went off of the mural. Its head sported four glowing eyes that closely resembled the optic censors Disassembly Drones had on their heads. It's feet were skeletal in nature with massive spiked claws jutting out from them.

All four of the beings listed here were gazing up towards the top center of the mural with hands desperately reaching upwards. The target of their seeming worship? The Absolute Solver symbol. From the symbol were several dark tendrils that shot off towards planets, piercing their surface and going straight through to the other side. Eight planets in all. Among them were two Cloris would recognize immediately:

Earth.

Proxima.

As if it couldn't get any more concerning however, several smaller tendrils shot off from the larger ones, each seeming to pierce beings that looked like the disassembly drones themselves. Words were written above these disassembly drones.

"The Witch fears Heaven's golden light.
    So too do angels.
    I must know the truth.
    Are we connected?"

Aside from the mural there was one other drawing that was new:

A single set of words that went up the side of the wall towards the dome above Cloris.

"GAZE UPON HEAVEN'S EMBRACE.
    THE ARCHANGEL HAS HEARD YOUR PRAYERS."

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    Murder Drones: A new Type of Witchhunt TowersignatureBorderSmaller
    More Things:
    Nothost
    Nothost
    Super Friend
    Super Friend
    Three years

Murder Drones: A new Type of Witchhunt Empty Re: Murder Drones: A new Type of Witchhunt

Post by Nothost Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:12 am

The first thing Cloris noticed was the footprint. 99 had probably dropped in from the top of the drone. That clued her in to really examine the room. Fortunately her eyes had several different modes, being mechanical in nature. It didn’t take her long to find the mural. She looked at it in awe.

“You're quite the artist 99. I wonder what you could do if you had a paintbrush and a canvas. Now then…”

Cloris had a habit of talking to herself when she was alone. She peered at the drawing more closely, studying the description. She then looked up at the solver symbol.

”So 99 suspects that it's also infected the disassembly drones. I couldn't find a trace of it when I did a diagnostic on J. Then again, it is a sentient program. It's possible that it concealed itself from me. But then why not have the disassembly drones completely turn on us?”

N had weirdly frozen during the fight on the ship. But that was a far cry from the solver directly controlling her. Another thing that stood out to her was the markings around each of their foes. She leaned forward, looking at them closely.

“So 99 somehow knows that we've taken down two of these things. I wonder how she's kept track without being noticed. I'll have to be more vigilant in case the solver tries something similar to spy in on us.”

Then she noticed the final message. She looked up, and zoomed in her vision using a function of her eyes. She locked in on something taped to the dome. She let out a chuckle.

”You're lucky I'm now a normal human. This is where my jump boots will come in handy.”

Cloris didn't have a way to fly like the murder drones. Not only would that have taken a considerable amount of power to pull off, but learning to fly as a human would have taken a long time. Fortunately she had other methods she developed.

Cloris bent her knees, a faint green glow lighting up at the bottom of her feet. Then she leaped 30 feet into the air. She landed halfway up to the dome, pressed her feet against the wall, and used that to jump again. She snatched the tapped thing from the top of the dome, and landed on her feet on the ground with a resounding THUD. It was enough to slightly crack the floor where she landed. But Cloris wasn't hurt.

She took a closer look at the device. It was a thumb drive device of some kind. she examined it, she realized what it was for.

”The machine you left behind for us. Good thing I had the foresight to bring it along.”

It didn't take long for her to set it up. Inserted into the intended slot and it was up and running. A message flashed on the screen.

“Warning, this device will delete itself if it interfaces with anything other then the intended device. Remove within 10 seconds if you do not have it.”

Fortunately Cloris didn't have to worry about that. And after 10 seconds passed, she would get to see what Type 99 left her on the device.

Raymu likes this post

Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years

Post by Raymu Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:27 am

The device booted up exactly as it was intended to. Suddenly it opened up and a holographic feed appeared. But something was off. The feed...Was completely blank. It remained that way for a full minute...And it seemed as if nothing was going to happen. Perhaps Type-99 had made a mistake? Perhaps there was something wrong with the drive? Just when those thoughts might have seemed true, a message appeared:

Opening Transmission.

An image appeared in the feed, filling up the blank static that made up the holographic projection. It was a pair of glowing digital eyes staring back at Cloris.

"You came back sooner than I was expecting. For a moment I thought the proximity alarms were being set off by something else."

Wait a minute. This wasn't a recording like the last time...Those eyes weren't staring through Cloris. They were staring AT her. Just when reality might have started to sink in, Type-99 confirmed it.

"You're not imagining things. After I read your message to me I realized that you have an incredible mind...You're exactly the kind of person I've been hoping for. I created a simple program that I can use to contact you directly using an encrypted transmission feed. Of course...The connection is unstable so you can't see me clearly at all...But it will have to do for now. I'm afraid I can't reveal myself yet. Especially not while the sun is out."

The drone paused in silence as she seemed to be thinking of what to say next...But eventually she would speak up once more.

"So your name is Cloris Jade...I'm glad you appreciate a clever puzzle. I thought it was the best way to hide my messages. Humans are far better at logical deduction in that area than machines could ever hope to be. I'm certain the witch can only think in the most literal ways. I wish I could exchange more small talk...But I have to know why you've come back so soon. Has something changed? Better yet...That captain of yours. Where is he now? Where are the rest of your crew? And if you don't mind, I'd like a run down on your entire crew. Names, Occupations, and perhaps their most critical skills.

I'm aware I'm asking a lot from you for someone who can't even show their face to you...But I can only ask you to trust that I have a reason for asking these questions."

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    More Things:
    Nothost
    Nothost
    Super Friend
    Super Friend
    Three years

Post by Nothost Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:36 am

It took awhile, but the device booted up. The reason for that became apparent when someone on the screen addressed her directly. She looked at the screen in surprise, although her face didn't show it.

”That makes two of us. I expected another message from you at best. But this is much better.”

Cloris smiled slightly at the compliment given to her. She didn't like to think herself as vain. In fact, due to experiences when she was younger, she came to hate getting constant praise. But 99's was truly sincere.

”I'm the one who should be singing your praises. On a planet full of sentient drones, you stand out as especially intelligent. Your knowledge is deep, and you used it to put together creative puzzles and traps. Honestly I wouldn't have been able to figure it all out on my own. That anti-drone paint of yours was an especially nice touch.”

Cloris pulled down her goggles to reveal her glowing green eyes. If 99 started at them closely enough they would be able to see lines of code and some symbols running within them, constantly shifting.

”You made my upgrades work against me. I'm sure that wasn't your intent, but your methods to make sure only humans solved your puzzles were clever.”

She nodded when she mentioned she couldn't come out in the sun. ”That's why I came now. I intended to leave another message if you had replied. But this is preferable.”

Cloris listened to 99's reasoning on her puzzles. It was a method that made sense to her. ”The solver was never interested in human things like that. You made the right call.”

99 then asked her a bunch of questions. Cloris didn't seem bothered by it though.

”Well the circumstances are unique. I haven't been fully honest with the rest of the crew. There are some things they have to experience for themselves before they'll believe me. I'm the reason why we're here in the first place.”

Cloris took a seat at the table in the room, putting the communication device on top of it.

”I put an extra line of code into the navigation. I expected a bumpy landing, but we ended up colliding with something that threw things off course. That's where the others are: they're working with some drones to get the ship operational by sundown. We want to be ready for the next attack. My skills are ill suited for repairing a ship, so I decided it would be more productive to find out more about you.”

She let all that sink in for 99. “This was my home once. Ever since escaping here I've been planning on returning. I made additional modifications to my body. I worked hard to get everything just right. All for the sake of stopping the witch. I hate deceiving the rest of the crew, but I have little choice in the matter.”

She paused, looking into the screen at 99. ”That's why I came back alone. You understand the nature of the witch. I can be honest with you in a way I can't be with them.”

Cloris then started answering 99's questions. ”First there’s our captain, Karasu Reiuji. He has a sharp mind and is excellent at strategy. He fought on Proxima during the drone uprising. Chaos and Ray Rights are both engineers with their own skillsets. I specialize in programming and systems.”

She paused, letting that sink in. ”I don't know  them well enough to tell you their weaknesses.

Now it was Cloris’s turn to ask questions. ”I want to make sure we're both on the same page. How much do you know about the solver?”

Raymu likes this post

Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years

Post by Raymu Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:46 pm

Cloris sang the disassembly drone's praises. Though 99 didn't really see it that way. To her it wasn't that she was a genius...

"I wouldn't call myself more intelligent. I just have a particular skill set that makes flying under the radar natural to me. I've spent many years working and learning intelligence operations in times of war. It's simply second nature to me when it comes to trying to think like my enemy. I suppose the puzzles, the hidden artwork, the devices and programs I've made...They're a matter of adaptability. I did what I had to do to hide from the Witch. And I believe I've succeeded so far. With any luck our mutual enemy thinks I've been decommissioned."

Cloris admitting that her upgrades worked against her with the things 99 had set up was followed up with the woman clarifying what she meant by that; showing off her cybernetic eyes. Type-99 fell silent for a moment as she considered it...But eventually she spoke up, seemingly pleased with her own efforts.

"Good. That means it was totally imperceptible to the Witch's minions. Most of them are incapable of perceiving the world in a full range of colors. I simply had to choose one that fell outside their spectrum. Though it's fortunate for you that you weren't working alone that time."

A digital eyebrow on 99's visor raised up a little as Cloris admitted both to hiding things from her crew -- And having been the reason they crashed here in the first place.

"And you fear that if they didn't fully believe you, they might consider you a traitor?"

Type-99 went silent for several moments as she considered whether she should tell Cloris her own truth as well...it was difficult but ultimately she chose what she felt was right here.

"I've...Had to make that same choice. I abandoned what was left of my squad and went into hiding. Serial Designation U. The Squad Leader. An expert in operating on the fly, and an even greater expert in explosives. He is missing in action.

Serial Designation E. She is...Naive. Perhaps a little lacking in strategic capabilities. But she makes up for it in being highly efficient and always having an answer for the most difficult questions. I believe she is alive and well, even if Serial Designation U isn't. I've had to wonder several times if leaving them to fend for themselves was the right call or not. But I believe what I'm searching for could put their lives in danger. Ultimately it's the truth that might destroy them, not simply the environment.

Serial Designation U may very well be dead by now. I haven't seen physical evidence of his presence since that encounter. But if any of your crew should happen to find him somehow...Please let me know as soon as possible. I feel a certain...Sense of responsibility to those two."

It seems the two of them were a lot alike when it came to hunting the witch. They had both taken great measures and an even greater amount of personal sacrifice to push towards the truth. Type-99's eyes hollowed with a digital click as she came to that realization. And of course, the fact that these two could confide in each other over what they knew because of that only made sense.

"You've been hunting the witch even longer than I have..."

The eyes visible on the display changed back to a neutral expression.

"They're right to prepare for an attack. Once the witch sees your ship taking flight it will do everything in its power to take that ship for itself. But...That's why I also fear it may not be enough. If the witch really intends to send everything at you, I don't think even an army could stop that onslaught."

The disassembly drone stopped for a moment, blinking as she remembered something.

"On the other hand...Your message mentioned Serial Designations J, V, and N were helping you...I'm not sure how well I can trust that they'll be able to stop the Witch's minions. But maybe if you had her on your side..."

Type-99 fell silent for a moment as her eyes closed. Eventually she opened them, speaking up.

"I can't help you directly, but I believe I have something in mind that can help you turn the tides of battle. Just trust that I have something I will prepare for you."

it was Cloris' home once...That much matched the message that had been left here. Type-99 answered in her stoic voice.

"Yes...And you mentioned that this building in particular was special to you. I suppose I had no real reason to choose it above others. Admittedly I think I chose it just out of some strange interest...But all the same, if you appreciate the effort, then I can say I'm glad for you."

Cloris listed off her crew, and 99 seemed to take note of each.

"Karasu Reiuji. Captain, leader. A soldier with training to match...Ray Rights. Engineer. Should be sufficient in repairing anything a drone is incapable of. Chaos..."

Type-99 stopped short, blinking.

"Is 'Chaos' really his name? Strange...It invokes a mythological sort of image. Though I very much doubt he's the self-same father god of ancient Greece."

Cloris had questions of her own...Type-99 answered without hesitation.

"That name is a new element in my memories, for starters. I've only been able to trace the title of "Witch" to this unknown enemy of ours so far."

Type-99 continued after making that observation clear.

"But let's start with the basics for now. The Witch..."Solver", is the mastermind behind Copper-9's destruction. I believe that much is undeniable. It was why we were drawn here. It was why you came here too. Solver is capable of infecting and mutating all manner of sapient machines in a way humanity couldn't possibly achieve even if they dedicated a thousand years to research. For some drones, this infection manifests in a one-track mind. A singular goal above all else. They are to be thrown at an enemy and ultimate destroyed until they can succeed. For others...

I believe the Witch chooses special beings to act as "Leaders". Those who retain their intelligence and can freely think and act as they choose. When a mindless mob of puppets isn't enough, that is when these hosts arrive. They take all manner of forms, but I believe they are capable of incredible adaptation. I've witnessed one deflecting bullets. - No, not just deflecting them. - It warped the bullets around itself as if it had some control over gravity. I can't confirm this for certain, but I theorize all Hosts are capable of this to some degree. This would mean that not only can Solver manipulate reality itself...It can bestow this ability to others as well."

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    More Things:
    Nothost
    Nothost
    Super Friend
    Super Friend
    Three years

Post by Nothost Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:38 am

Type 99 was being humble about the praise she was getting from Cloris. The green haired scientist couldn't have that. When she complimented someone, she wanted it to stick.

”Even if some elements were there from the start, you still survived battles. Others similar to you can't say the same. Hopefully all this will be enough for you to do your work undetected.”

Cloris slipped her hand into her pocket. “I didn't expect that particular scenario, but that's part of why I didn't come alone. There are certain obstacles only flesh and blood humans can overcome.”

Cloris paused, frowning behind her mask. ”Worse then that. They might see me as an enemy if they knew how I plan to solve things.”

Cloris paused, listening to the drone talk about having to leave their squad behind. Cloris paused, then spoke.

”I'll keep an eye out for them. You might have diverted the thing's attention by splitting up. In that sense you made the right call. But the truth is that everyone on Copper 9 is in danger. Although some are in more immediate danger than others.”

Cloris shook her head in response to 99. ”I've been preparing to hunt the witches for a long time. But I haven't actually done it yet. There are some tools I need that are on this planet. Then my hunt will truly begin.”

Cloris paused, folding her hands together. ”There are a few things that I can do. That’s the other reason why I came here. There's another stop that I need to make. One that will make our battle easier.”

Cloris smiled at 99 behind her mask. ”Of course, any and all help is most welcome.”

Cloris looked up, smiling up at the dome. “I used to come here all the time as a kid. I kept thinking back to coming here with my parents, especially when I started getting my mods.”

There was a hint of sadness in her voice. But the regret of what was lost was overtaken by the joy of seeing everything again.

Cloris let out a laugh at 99's confusion. ”I was a little confused too. But he just really didn't like the name his parents gave him. He's actually a very down to Earth guy. Not Chaotic in the slightest.”

Cloris listened to 99s analysis of the thing. It was a very sound and detailed analysis.

”You have a very good grasp of the situation. But I was involved with the incident of Copper 9's destruction. I know it's true nature.”

Cloris folded her hands, putting them on the table. ”I don't know if Absolute Solver chooses what hosts become leaders, or if certain traits allow that to take place. I do not know entirely how its powers work. I know how it came to be. But for what it's is… it depends on what you believe in I suppose.”

She paused, letting that set in before continuing. ”There are two ways a solver hos can be born. The solver finds a suitable host that can keep its sentience. Or naturally developing within an improperly disposed of drone. There's a .01% chance of zombification of such a drone. And out of that small percentage, only .7% are born with the absolute solver.”

Cloris paused, leaning forward. ”How the program is capable of doing is beyond understanding. Some scientists believed that it’s a test from god. Or a force meant to punish humanity for their mistreatment of drones.”

Cloris turned the device so that the camera was facing away from her. It was now pointed at the mural that 99 had drawn.

”Witch is an apt name for a solver host. In lore they get their power from the devil. There is one personally that is as such: the main personality that drives them all. The only way to exorcise it is to go to the source: descend into hell.”

Cloris turned the camera to face herself again, looking at 99. ”There’s a secret facility deep underground. But I need a special key to access the deepest parts. And the anti-drone security is likely still active. Once I have everything I need, I’ll lead the others there and descend into hell.”

Raymu likes this post

Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years

Post by Raymu Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:02 pm

She had survived battles. That much was undeniable.

"If only you knew the depths of that statement."

So, Cloris was risking her entire crew seeing her as an enemy...

"You have a great burden."

99 acknowledged Cloris's attempts at absolving her of her burdens. But the drone shook her head.

"I'm all too aware of that. It's why I've gone to the lengths that I have. To your crew my methods might seem extreme. But if the enemy breaks down my door I want to ensure they won't live to do anything about it. It's the least I can do."

Cloris needed tools...99 spoke up calmly in response to that.

"And what might those tools be? They wouldn't happen to be something our mutual enemy is also seeking, would they?"

Type-99 silently acknowledged Cloris's memories as she recounted them. The drone...Wasn't sure what to say in response. She didn't feel nostalgia. She didn't long for the past. Her memories were simply images stored in her drives to be recalled for the sake of important information.

And in that same regard she didn't understand why Chaos disliked his name.

"Why would one be averse to their designation? I have carried Type-99 since my first boot up. It does not hinder my ability to complete the missions given to me."

Still, she didn't only carry confusion, she at least acknowledged his nature.

"His grounded nature makes him a reliable asset. Morale hinges on some sense of normalcy. At least for humans."

Cloris admitted something surprising...She was involved in the planet's core collapse. Type-99 fell completely silent, only the sounds of subtle clicks and beeps registering over their communication. Eventually 99 broke her silence.

"Findings updated."

Cloris didn't entirely know what to say in regards to what Solver was. Only that it "depended on what one believed in" Type-99 didn't know about beliefs. She was only capable of understanding either absolutes or theories based in gathered information. It wasn't that she mocked beliefs of any kind. Whether they were religious or occult-like in nature, it was something that she was simply incapable of understanding as she was now.

"What do you believe is the true nature of Absolute Solver?"

She asked for Cloris' views on this. From the way she spoke it seemed as though 99 was simply waiting for a consensus before forming theories on the Absolute Solver. Still, regardless of Cloris' answer, the information she gave about hosts was all something Type-99 was noting down.

"So, you mean that the roaming zombie drones aren't a naturally occurring phenomenon? They've been infected in a very specific way by something...Do you believe the Solver's hosts are capable of doing that?"

So, 99's theories were all lining up concerningly well...There was one driving force behind all of them. The mastermind that the hosts answered to.

"Like a weed...If the roots aren't destroyed it will simply regrow. That is...Concerning."

The secret lab, it was something the disassembly drone couldn't confirm with the information she had on hand, but it was something that only served her theories well.

"If there is a place drones can't reach, then I suspect Solver is trying to reach that area just as you are. I've been stalking the Solver's abominations from afar for months now. White Aberrant has been systematically breaching bunkers and wiping out the inhabitants. I suspected this whole time that it wasn't done for the sole purpose of destruction. It acted as though it was...Seeking something. Perhaps now I can theorize that it was looking for a way into these hidden labs beneath the planet's surface. And with your ship's arrival I was able to add to that theory even further. - The frantic nature of Solver being drawn to that operational ship is because it needs something off-planet. With the revelation of these hidden labs I'm convinced whatever it is that lies beyond the atmosphere is key to penetrating those labs to their very core."

Type-99 gave a sigh.

"If you really intend on going down there, ensure that no matter what nothing else follows you."

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    More Things:
    Nothost
    Nothost
    Super Friend
    Super Friend
    Three years

Post by Nothost Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:29 pm

Type 99 had seen her share of battles. Perhaps more than she could ever understand. Cloris didn't see herself getting involved in a fight the way the disassembly drone clearly did. Both of them had their own burdens to bear.

”Yes, but it's a weight I've learned to bear. And one day I'll be free of it.”

Cloris nodded her head at 99'd explanation for the traps. Although there was one thing that was on her mind.

”Things like the paint trick and traps that prevent access to your data are effective. Although I can't imagine they would be enough to fatally injure one of those monsters.”

Cloris considered that, tapping a finger against her chin. ”I suppose they'd use them if they could. But this countermeasure was deliberately designed to be crude. Good enough to function, but not complex enough to infect. Of course they could have already destroyed them by now… we'll see when I get to that facility.”

Cloris leaned back a little as 99 inquired more about Chaos. ”There are a few reasons why. But if you want to know why he did it, you'll have to ask him yourself someday.”

Cloris nodded in agreement. ”Mood is just as important as everything else. In that regard, I've done less then I expected I would have to do.”

And then 99 asked her what she thought what the solver was. Cloris hesitated for a minute, trying to figure it out in a way that 99 would understand it.

”I think it is a force, an entity. One that seeks to spread everywhere. And in its wake destruction followe. It can be the greatest salvation or eternal damnation. It is the apocalypse, and it will test us all.”

She paused, letting that sink in. ”Not exactly the most scientific of answers. But science cannot fully penetrate The Solver.”

She folded her hands, leaning forward slightly. ”Naturally occurring zombification of drones is very rare. The hosts could be capable of spreading it. I saw the monster do something through the eyes of a zombie drone.”

Cloris listened to what 99 had to say about the solvers movements. She nodded as 99 said to make sure nothing followed her down there.

”Believe me, I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure nothing follows us. Although that might be difficult considering the circumstances. Once the key is in play, anything can happen.”

Cloris paused, considering something. ”99, I’d like you to make a list. I need to know what locations this thing has managed to breech. Be it bunkers, facilities, or anything else. And the coordinates of those locations. I want to see exactly how it moved.”

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯

Raymu likes this post

Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years

Post by Raymu Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:54 pm

99 thought it over silently as Cloris stated that she would be free of her fate one day. Eventually the drone shook her head.

"I may never be free of my own burdens. My purpose is war, it is what I was constructed for. And it is likely how I will perish. I should hope you won't share the same fate."

Cloris seemed a little confused by Type-99's countermeasures. Her traps would only be effective at killing organic beings. PERHAPS worker drones. But the solver's forces were endless, and they were durable. Toppling a building or running them into mines wouldn't stop them forever. That was where the disassembly drone closed her digital eyes for a moment, soon reopening them.

"In war information is everything. It's not about destroying their forces, it's about cutting off access to information. I have no doubt if Solver found what I had learned it would find a way to patch holes in its proverbial armor. If the information I've gathered can't end up in the right hands then it should be lost to time."

Type-99 listened quietly as Cloris gave her own opinion on what she believed the absolute solver to be. The drone registered those thoughts and eventually gave a response.

"An entity...You believe it to be an embodiment of the apocalypse? In essence a being of pure chaos, totally unfettered by the restraints of logic and reason. And yet...You find that there is some salvation in its existence. I'm afraid I do not understand that last part. Although your theories on Absolute Solver have been noted."

Type-99's expression looked troubled as Cloris confirmed that White Aberrant was capable of zombifying drones.

"It is what I expected then...This will complicate my efforts. Even if White Aberrant is dead, there is no reason to believe the other leaders of the Witch's minions cannot do the same."

Still, Cloris agreed to do everything in her power to keep Solver from taking what she was after. To that end Type-99 nodded.

"I will do everything I can to protect this key of yours from the witch. From Absolute Solver. I shall make it one of my priority one missions."

Cloris moved on, wanting information on all the places White Aberrant had struck. Type-99's digital eyes moved in such a way as to display curiosity...Although after a moment her eyes returned to a neutral emotion.

"Understood. I will work on compiling a list from my personal database as soon as our communication ends. I will have it to you before the next sunrise. Will you require any other information?"

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    More Things:
    Nothost
    Nothost
    Super Friend
    Super Friend
    Three years

Post by Nothost Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:44 am

Cloris let out a a sigh, pressing ber palm against the side of her head. ”You certainly won't if you keep thinking of yourself as disposable. It’s high time you realize that they way most humans want to think about you is wrong. Admittedly I used to think of you all as machines too, but now…”

Now there was no denying it: there were drones that had their own personalities. It was contrary to what she had been taught growing up. Before coming here she had simply planned on using them. Without a shred of hesitation. But that was no longer possible. If worse came to worse, then she could end up hurting a lot of people.

Cloris nodded in understanding as she explained the purpose of the traps. “At the very least it would fix those imperfections faster. There’s a possibility that all these entities are communicating with each other. I'm not taking any chances in that regard: I'm going forward assuming it's going to fix the most obvious of its weaknesses with each future encounter.”

Cloris let out a bitter laugh. ”I learned a long time ago to expect the worst. It would be nice if things were easy for once, but that's not how things have gone.”

Cloris leaned back, looking up at the mural. ”Because in the end only the worthy are left standing. Those who get their hands on the patch can hope to control it.”

She looked back down at Type 99. ”There is a patch that was created to give control of the solver to its host. But only one was ever made. If the solver manages to destroy it, then all will be lost. But with that patch…”

Cloris trailed off. They both were on the same page about the zombie drones and the other entities. She smiled behind her mask at the drone.

”Thank you 99. It must not end up in the hands of the solver.”

Cloris paused, considering 99s question. ”If you can, also compile information on where Zombie drones have congregated. They are extensions of these creatures. So it's possible they might be using them to investigate areas before making a move themselves.”

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years

Post by Raymu Yesterday at 3:30 am

Type-99 stared at Cloris emotionlessly. The way the woman insisted that humanity was wrong about this drone caused 99 no end of confusion. The disassembly drone shook her head calmly.

"Why do you feel empathy for me? Humanity created me, and thus cannot be wrong about my circumstances."

Before any response could be given, Type-99 further elaborated.

"More specifically I was created by Doctor Morison Graymind. One of the foremost geniuses of his generation. I and my "siblings" succeeded the former Type-98 model as Earth's primary battle drone."

Type-99 frowned. Though she seemed to treat everything so matter-of-factly, there was a hint of sadness in her voice.

"I am the last of the Type-99 units. Or perhaps I was before my conversion into a Disassembly Drone. I suppose what I am now was something of a stroke of luck...The others did not get repurposed like I have been. Even the ones that survived wars ended up being repurposed for parts. But none of us resented humans. We exist as weapons."

Regardless, 99 was glad that Cloris seemed to understand her mindset about ensuring Solver couldn't get access to her findings and information.

"That's correct. Even the chosen "generals" of the Witch's forces have had glaring flaws. If it found out about these then it would take little time to fix them. We are outmatched without being able to exploit these weaknesses. That is what I believe."

Only one patch...Only one side could control it. What lay deep within the facilities beneath Copper-9 would decide who won this war. Cloris couldn't overstate just how important it was to keep the patch away from Solver. For Type-99's part she understood all too well.

"I don't want to calculate the scenario that would occur if our enemy was to destroy it. But I believe...It would involve total annihilation of all sentient beings."

And speaking of sentient beings...

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!..."

Type-99 seemed to stop talking entirely as she overheard that scream echoing through the streets.

"... Were my calculations that terrifying?"

After a moment of blinking in disbelief from the drone, she shook herself from her confusion. Acknowledging Cloris's request.

"Understood. I will be quiet for some time while I track pockets of zombie drones. Prior data may be outdated and unusable, so I'd like to gather new data to compile. I want to be as thorough as possible in the information I present to you. But trust in me to complete my mission successfully. I will contact you again when I've finished."

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    More Things:
    Nothost
    Nothost
    Super Friend
    Super Friend
    Three years

Post by Nothost Today at 1:18 pm

Cloris paused, staring back at the drone. She took off her goggles, revealing her green eyes. The intensity shining within them was matched only by the intensity of her voice.

Murder Drones: A new Type of Witchhunt 07uZ7ZU

”Because you’re a person! You aren't who you used to be! Just because someone created you doesn't mean they're always right!”

She paused, then looked down. ”My parents created me. And they were wrong about many things.”

If Type 99 pressed on the issue, Cloris wouldn't elaborate further. Just mentioning them was enough to make her ashamed. It was a vault that couldn't be cracked right now. She took a deep breath, and looked back up.

”Doctor Greymind Is a genius. I even used some of his designs as a baseline for some of my mechanical features. But that doesn't mean they're infallible, or that they know everything about what they create.”

Cloris looked at 99 with pity. She spoke back to the disassembly drone.

”How can you say that you're a weapon with sadness in your voice? You miss them. Weapons don't miss others.”

Cloris nodded in agreement with 99's analysis on preventing information from getting into the hands of the solver. Likewise she agreed with what would happen if the patch was destroyed. At the moment she was too worked up to do much else. But then a scream snapped her out of it.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!..."

She turned In shock, looking rather stunned. ”99, I came here alone. Ray is still with the others.”

Cloris nodded at Type 99's insistence of compiling new data. ”That would be a great help to me. It makes the data as accurate as possible. Excuse me a second 99.”

Cloris turned on her communicator, and talked to the group in the roamer.

”Karasu, is everything okay? I heard Ray screaming from all the way in the Library.”

[Yes she is talking in the main thread now]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 6:14 pm