Magical gamers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Magical gamers

A forum for games, stories and much more!

4 posters

Murder Drones: Disassembly Required

CivilProtection
    CivilProtection
    Ten years
    You've been a pillar for an entire decade!

Murder Drones: Disassembly Required - Page 12 Empty Re: Murder Drones: Disassembly Required

Post by CivilProtection Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:54 pm

I sigh in disappointment. "I cant make the ship my perma home, dont think the company would like that. My only options now is to either buy an expensive house on Vow or be homeless. I dont got much options."

As we walk back to the bunker, J began to tease me. "S...saw what??" she gave me a quick reply. "I... I..." I start to blush "Y...yknew I looked...?"

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    Murder Drones: Disassembly Required - Page 12 Firmablackrockshooter-1-1
    Murder Drones: Disassembly Required - Page 12 CpmariokartlicenseMurder Drones: Disassembly Required - Page 12 Uwhm8

Click Me!

*Loves Alice Margatroid, but dresses up as Nue Houjuu* *Seems Legit*
    Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years

Murder Drones: Disassembly Required - Page 12 Empty Re: Murder Drones: Disassembly Required

Post by Raymu Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:11 pm

As the pair progressed, the very next floor clearly had more snow added to it than had originally drifted into the building. It was though someone had purposefully shoveled in hundreds of pounds of snow by hand just to hide the floor...There were likely several theories as to why, but the real reason revealed itself right away. In between the whipping of the wind the two humans would be able to pick up faint beeping sounds that sounded as though they were covered up by something - As if they were covered by snow. Thankfully for them paint had been once again traced across the floor, visible only to Karasu and clearly marking a safe path through to avoid setting off whatever sat beneath the white powder. on the wall was a message drawn with that very same paint:

"The heavens alone know the truth, the eight-sided eye holds onto it dearly, and man conceals it. NW"

The following floors were each much of the same as the previous ones, paint marked a trail to continue forward, traps were concealed with only the slightest hint that they existed at all, however it was clear that no matter how much this mysterious messenger was allowing them safe passage; they knew exactly how to kill someone without even needing to be there. If Karasu and Cloris weren't meant to find what was being pointed out to them, they wouldn't be able to come here at all without dying.

Ray could only shrug when Uzi insisted their ship better be an awesome place to live if it was going to make up for a lack of a planet to go back to.

"I don't know if 'awesome' is the word I'd use to describe it, but once we get it fully operational again I can promise you it has everything we need to live. It's even kinda comfortable, although I wouldn't compare it to something like one of those fancy cruise ships."

The engineer glanced over at Chaos, tilting his head.

"The ship belongs to Karasu, as long as he wants you there nobody else can tell you not to be there. Besides, I hear Vow is one of the worst Colony worlds to live on. Something about...Hostile Wildlife or something?"

Ray shrugged after that, though he grinned when Uzi asked what a non-disclosure agreement was.

"Don't worry about it."

Was all he had to say about that. When Uzi answered the hypothetical scenario that had been aimed at V, Ray barked at the little purple drone.

"Okay, okay! Say hypothetically I did that in a place where I wouldn't die! I-... Hey this isn't even something for you to answer anyway!!"

... Of course, Ray was going to say something else about that right up until V so bluntly answered his question with a simple "I dunno. Let's get the Life Support working and find out." After that...Well, he fell silent. But one could almost swear there was steam emitting from his helmet as he quietly carried their things back to life support...His screen was somehow blushing, too.

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    Murder Drones: Disassembly Required - Page 12 TowersignatureBorderSmaller
    More Things:
    Nothost
    Nothost
    Super Friend
    Super Friend
    Three years
    You've been a member for three whole years!

Post by Nothost Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:25 am

”Yes, it gods appear that the drones value things we can provide them. Let's hope that things don't turn out that way.”

Cloris let out a little chuckle at what Karadu said. ”The enemy expects us to prepare, so we should just go in unprepared? Captain, I think you might be overthinking things. Either that or you're overestimating the element of surprise. Assuming the creatures haven't considered the possibility of us rushing in.”

Later, Cloris gave her captain a nod, climbing to her feet. She looked at him, then around at the room.

”Paint that only a human can see? I was right: that message was meant for human eyes. It's a good thing we stuck together: I wouldn't be able to progress on my own.”

Cloris said, a slight tinge of bitterness in her tone. She didn't linger on it for too long: she followed Karasu, copying each of his motions to avoid the traps. Eventually they came across the snow that was shoveled into the building.

”This snow had to be placed here recently. Otherwise it would be more disturbed then it is right now.”

When Karasu Inevitably relayed the message on the wall to her, Cloris scoured her brain for the answer.

”The heavens are obvious. I think they're being litterall with the reference to men: this message is meant for human eyes. But then what do we conceal? And what is the eight-sided eye?”

Cloris muttered, pondering it as she followed Karasu through the facility. After awhile she sighed.

”We don't have all the clues yet. The answers will probably be visible from our destination.”

Uzi looked over at J, her sadness and worry still on her face. ”Yeah, they’re a touch bunch. They didn't seem that way when I first met you guys, but they are.”

Uzi glanced at the two humans before looking back at J. She gestured with her hand at the bunker.

”Sure, if you want them to stay in a room that hasn't been maintenanced in forever. There's less rooms then you think that would work as living quarters for humans.”

Uzi looked at Ray incredulously, pointing at the human.

”Hey, no making it lame and boring. A spaceship needs to be awesome as hell. It doesn't have to be a luxury cruise, but it needs to have style!”

Uzi had probably seen too many anime for her own good. In her mind ships had to be super awesome.

Then Chaos complained about being homeless. She looked over at the human. Her worry was clear on her face. She then looked over at J.

”But I can help set up something for them. I'll go look around and see what rooms are suitable. And If there isn't one, I'll make something that will work. Your boyfriend shouldn't have to live on a wildlife infested colony.”

Uzi wasn't trying to hide how she felt here: there wasn't much point. The whole group knew that she cared about the well-being of the two humans at this point.

Uzi looked at Ray as he told her not to worry about it. The Droid shrugged her shoulders and moved on. What she didn't move on from was the hypothetical situation that Ray was focused on. She barked back at the human.

”I don't have to tell you how that feels because it's never going to happen! You're not a super weirdo pervert! So just drop the subject already!”

There was a bit of embarrassment to her tone. Then V spoke to her, and her ire became directed at the disassembly drone.

”Good! Cause I never want to see that!”

Uzi huffed, grumbling to herself as she carried things inside. She tried to tune out as much stuff as possible. She definitely wasn't bothered by the attention Chaos And Ray were getting from their girlfriends, not one bit!

Doll looked at her girlfriend, her curiosity written across her face. ”Ne mogu dozhdat'sya, chtoby uvidet', chto ty pridumayesh', Lizzi. YA dolzhen prepodnesti tebe syurprizy sam.”

[“I can't wait to see what you come up with Lizzy. I should give you surprises of my own.”]

And with that, their plane for the future were set in motion. A life together with Lizzy was around the corner for Doll. It was a little nerve wracking, but she couldn't wait to explore it with her girlfriend.

Doll snuggled closer to her girlfriend. At the mention of the things keeping her parents occupied, she looked at her girlfriend curiously.

”Govorya ob etikh gostyakh, chto vy dumayete o lyudyakh? YA vstretil tol'ko odnogo. On byl ochen' lyubopytnym.”

[“Speaking of those guests, what do you think of the humans? I only met one. He was very nosy.”]

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    Murder Drones: Disassembly Required - Page 12 2pq8T3s
    Amord
    Amord
    Remilia's Husband
    Remilia's Husband
    Ten years

Post by Amord Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:33 pm

Karasu calmly shrugs at Cloris's chuckle and refutation of his approach.

"Think about it logically. They're far more familiar with the Disassembly Drones, who have been here longer than we have. They also know that Humans tend to rely on the superior firepower of those or Sentinels."

With that, he glances over to Cloris.
    "So would they be expecting me to show up ahead of schedule? Plus, these things still run on logic. Think back to Aegis trying to solve these riddles. It's going to prepare for the more likely scenarios that it can calculate."

The Captain finishes his explanation. Considering all the context clues that he had, one could see why he was willing to arrive to that conclusion -- and it probably also meant that he had a plan and contingencies based on how it could possibly go.

Of course, their current situation was just as important to focus on. Navigating the traps wasn't TOO bad right now, especially with Karasu making sure to keep to a pace that Cloris can easily follow. But they certainly got more elaborate as things went on.

Such as the snow that was recently piled up to cover... Yeah, he heard that beeping.

"Landmines. Should be fine as long as you don't step in the middle of them. We'll keep following the path."

Eventually they came across a message scrawled on the wall in that same paint. He relayed the contents to Cloris, who soon gave her thoughts.

"It sounds like we might be receiving landmark cues."

Karasu replies, following with;
    "I'm guessing 'NW' would be 'Northwest'. So that's where we should try to look."

Still carefully navigating the safe path in-between barely visible traps, they should be arriving at their vantage point soon... And then it was time to see if his hunch was right. Either way, they had another hint.

J calmly shrugs at Uzi's description of the other rooms.

"Sounds like it'd be less work to fix one of those up than it is trying to do a full repair on their ship on short notice. Especially if they need to evacuate it."

Still... Chaos seemed pretty sure that he needed to find something or be homeless. He talked about getting a place on Vow -- and yeah, J already knew THAT was a bad idea. Ray did too.

"You're not going to Vow, are you nuts? That Company somehow hasn't gone under and it's even more of a miracle than JCJensen pulling through Proxima."

Still... Their conversations always seemed to breakdown in the most unusual ways... Right now, Uzi and Ray were arguing about a hypothetical, with both of them insisting it wasn't relevant anyway. At least up until V made her own point on the subject.

That caused Ray to clam up and fluster nicely. Though as much as she appreciated seeing that, Uzi also made another remark... Which, of course, prompted V to go:

"What, you think you're too good for him or something?!"

... So yeah, that was happening. Then on J's end... Well, she giggled as Chaos asked that.

"Of course I knew. You landed in the perfect spot to see up there. And I calculated the trajectory of your eyes. At first I figured it happened out of reflex, but..."

... Yeah, then he started checking her out after that.

"Then you looked at my... 'Big vents.'"

She smirks again.

Doll was already looking forward to the surprises later. That was good! And even better, she wanted to give Lizzy some surprises too... Both of them seemed to be acclimating to the idea of living together rather nicely. As the two of them were mulling that over for a little while, Doll then asks a question about those new guests -- the Humans. What did Lizzy think about them?

The blonde's mischievous grin returns as Doll remarks upon the 'nosy one'.

"Oh, him? Yeah. He's fun to tease."

Honestly, both of them were. But one seemed like a real pushover in that regard. But, she needed to fully answer Doll's question;

"I think they're very intriguing. Certainly a big change of pace for this place. Also more pleasant than whatever that monster was."

She explains, and then thinks it over a little bit more, tapping a finger against her own chin.

"They bring opportunity with them. Potential. Things can change. That's the feeling I get."

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    Aut viam ivenium aut faciam | I shall either find a way or make one
    CivilProtection
    CivilProtection
    Ten years

Post by CivilProtection Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:40 pm

Ray mentioned that Karasu owned the ship. "Well I want to own my own RV Ship thing. I want to own land like a true Earthican! Also Vow has the cheapest apartments for some reason, thats why it was my first choice."

"Thanks Uzi, we can work things out. I'll help making things work in order for the both of us. Shouldnt be too hard to fix up one of these rooms, compared to fending off dangerous wildlife."

J kept teasing me. While she cant see it, I am blushing heavily now. "Well, I... I.... Damnit J, jeez!" I said, too flustered to say anything meaningful right now. I look around, trying to find a way out of this embarrassing conversation. Uzi isnt doing anything right now. "How about those..." I cut myself off not knowing what to say. "Doorime."

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    Murder Drones: Disassembly Required - Page 12 CpmariokartlicenseMurder Drones: Disassembly Required - Page 12 Uwhm8

Click Me!

Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years

Post by Raymu Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:21 pm

The rest of the climb followed exactly as it had previously, with each floor showing increasingly complicated traps set up, though each floor was as before; set up specifically to guide a human through safely. When they finally reached the top floor they would be greeted by a staircase with a sign clearly stating that it was the path for roof access. Taking the steps up to the top, and inevitably pushing open the heavy steel door separating them from the open roof, the pair would find...

Murder Drones: Disassembly Required - Page 12 Overlook

... A bird's eye view of the ruined city once inhabited by thousands of humans that were just like them. As the wind whipped across the rooftop, threatening to chill them down to their bones, they would quickly be able to see that from this high up the city was far more visible than it had been from the ground, and especially once they looked in the NorthWestern quadrant of the city. The snowdrifts and fallen debris made ground-level navigating so much more difficult, especially without the aid of sunlight. But from here? Even in the darkened abyss of this endless snow storm they would be able to see more; They could see things the city's many skyscrapers had been hiding in plain sight...And perhaps if they recalled all of the hints they had been given while climbing this tower, maybe they could discern what to do next.

Sadly if they had expected to meet their informant here they would find themselves disappointed. There was not a soul up here. Instead one final message written in the "Anti-drone" paint...Scrawled across the floor of the rooftop:

"Ask not the folly of machine so easily twisted, instead consult the font of justice that came before you, words etched permanently unchanging until it is torn away. walls lined with knowledge, a fortress of quiet. The watchful eye must be met face-to-face before it will trust you with the truth."

Ray shrugged when Uzi insisted the only empty apartments were in no condition to be comfortable for a human.

"I can work on improving that. I just want to get this place in a livable state first."

He backed up slightly in surprise when Uzi pointed at him. Her demands that he "Not make the ship lame" were met with a little bit of confusion.

"Well...I think it's pretty cool myself. We have an onboard AI. Maybe we can show you it sometime? Uh...probably best to wait until it's in better shape though. Right now you'd probably think it sucks."

The engineer huffed when Uzi swore that the hypothetical didn't matter because he "Wasn't a super weirdo pervert". She wasn't wrong but...

"Okay, okay sheesh! No more hypotheticals for now!"

And with Uzi insisting she really didn't want to see that...Well, Ray found himself agreeing with that, really.

"Yeah it's good for me too 'cause I'd die from embarrassment!!"

Of course, V seemed to get quite agitated by Uzi's choice of words, and Ray quickly realized he would have to diffuse this before she got any angrier...

"Uh V? I don't think that's what she meant. Wait- Why do you think that's what she meant?!"

... And then just like that, Chaos had somehow managed to shut him up again, although for an entirely different reason from the reason V had managed it a moment ago. The engineer stared silently at his crewmate from behind the concealing helmet, not saying a word... ... And then he got to work as soon as they made it back to life support, Ray was not about to question Chaos's mindset right now, nor was he going to ask what a "Doorime" was.

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    More Things:
    Nothost
    Nothost
    Super Friend
    Super Friend
    Three years

Post by Nothost Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:12 pm

Cloris listened to Karasu's logic. There was a lot of sound points with his tactics. Which Cloris voiced.

”I don't disagree with all of that. Although I wonder if that thing is as logical as we think it is.”

Cloris let that thought hang in the air. At least until they made their way into the building. She heard the beeping of the landmines and was able to avoid them. As they made their way through the building. She nodded her head.

”Then we'll look in that direction when we get there.”

And then they reached the top. Karasu relayed the message written on the wall. She looked out, then pointed at one structure in particular.

”Doesn't that look like an eight-sided eye to you?”

Murder Drones: Disassembly Required - Page 12 BB8YWZ0

”Okay, but you're totally not living on that cheap planet. You're going to stay under a warm roof while we're here.”

Uzi looked between J, Ray, and Chaos She then put a hand on her hip.

”Point taken. Let's find you guys a place in the bunker when we restore the life support.”

Uzi looked at Ray, peering at him. ”Okay, having a ship AI is a pretty cool style. But does your ship fire lasers?”

The whole situation with Ray and V was embarrassing. She looked over at the disassembly drone, rolling her eyes.

No, I just don't want a guy exposing himself to me when he has a girlfriend, that's all. Look, you got a good boyfriend. Even if I did like him like that, I'm not a homewrecker, okay? Or a bunker wrecker I guess.”

”Sweet robo-jesus, I want this conversation to end already.”

Doll listened to her girlfriend. She pressed her index finger against her own cheek.

”Oni izmenili nas, eto tochno. I vozmozhnosti budut. No yavlyayetsya li ikh prikhod priznakom znachimykh peremen? Ili eto predznamenovaniye gryadushchikh sobytiy?”

[“They've changed us, that's for sure. And there will be opportunties. But is their coming a signing of meaningful change? Or is it an omen of things to come?”
    Amord
    Amord
    Remilia's Husband
    Remilia's Husband
    Ten years

Post by Amord Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:03 pm

"If it wasn't, then I think our mysterious messenger is already in danger... Or dead."

Finally, they reached their destination and vantage point. Yet another clue awaited them -- and from it's contents he was able to tell that they were supposed to piece them together now that they were here. Karasu relays the next hint to Cloris.

Once at the top, they looked to the northwest, and the height offered them a nice overlook on exactly where they needed to go. Even despite the weather conditions, they could make out their next goal.

"Sounds like the Library is our next stop from most of that, and..."

Cloris then pointed out the roof of a particular building. The centerpiece certainly looked like an eight-sided eye. Especially with this kind of view on it.

"I think you might be right. So meeting it face-to-face... I guess that's either looking through the windows, or climbing on top of it."

Karasu then looks over to Cloris.

"We should probably assume that there will be more traps."

Now that the two knew where they were going, they had to get out of the building via retracing their steps carefully. The paint still gave them a clear path on where to go, but it was no less tense to navigate something so precarious. Karasu didn't like the idea of something else wandering into this mess either...

That was more why he still had his gun ready at the moment. If it came down to it, he'd have to take the shot and ensure none of the traps were set off. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

If their exit was uneventful, the pair can orient themselves and start heading towards the building -- presumably a Library. Or perhaps containing one.

Chaos seemed pretty insistent about having his own place... And seemed to value the affordability above everything else. J is quick to point out the problem here though.

"It's the cheapest because there's three forms of wildlife on the surface alone that eat Humans! And they're all hostile! You don't want to know what they have lurking underground."

After having said that, Ray mentioned that he could fix the place up as needed, and Uzi insisted that they at least have a warm roof to stay under. So, the agreement was more or less made here. Get the Life Support back up, and move into the Bunker!

Oh, and Uzi also wanted to know if the ship could fire lasers. Since neither J or V knew that for themselves, they'd let the crew talk about that part.

Besides, J was more curious about what Chaos said to try and get the conversation into something a little more... Controllable, maybe? But 'doorime' raised so many questions.

J arches a brow at him as she looks at him in confusion. Then the eyes on her optic visor are replaced with text:

[color=orange]Playing://
    AmenoDorime.mp3
    [color]

The song began to faintly play, as J then asked;

"That... Dorime?"

And on the other end of the group...

V was still glaring at Uzi. But her argument WAS getting her out of the hole she recently found herself in. Well, that and Ray was trying to calm her down too.

"... Fine. I do agree with your assessment, he IS a good boyfriend."

She then crosses her arms.

"... If you're nicer to him, my previous statement about relationships stand."

Well, in any case... They're back in the Bunker, with their prizes in hand. V is the first to suggest...

"I'll help Ray with the Life Support! You all can do whatever."

Should have seen that one coming.

Doll expressed her own thoughts about the Humans. She was more skeptical, obviously. Though Lizzy did have a bit of a counter for that. One which she made very plain in her reply:

"Well. Not as much of an omen as the thing with multiple sets of eyes and all the creepy soundalike voices. I think we can at least agree on that."

And it was hard to argue with. Between the two, the Humans were DEFINITELY more preferable to be around.

"Between the two, I'll go with the Humans. And you should probably go with them too. That thing did NOT look happy to find you. Not in a good way."

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    CivilProtection
    CivilProtection
    Ten years

Post by CivilProtection Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:37 pm

"Well when I did looked up living on Vow, there was a lot of job posting about some kind of scrap gathering crew. I sent an application a while back so I guess I should throw that away. Besides I bet JCJenson pays better, especially since I only planned on working at that company until I get enough funds for a better place."

"Y...yeah, Dorime!" I replied to J, her mistakingly thought I said dorime not me combining the words door and anime. "Isnt it so good?" I tried to add on, still being flustered. The thought of losing my lip virginity scares me and thankfully she is confused enough not to try anything naughty on me. But I didnt got Uzi's attention but thankfully J doesnt seem to be flirty anymore.

Once we are inside the bunker, I set down all the boxes outside of the life support bay. "The sooner we work on the life support the better. Im tired of breathing in cold air, and we havent ate in a good while." I glance over at Uzi, sighing. "I just wish more people be nice to Uzi, she is a hero to drone kind" I said silently to myself, making sure no one hears me.

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯

Click Me!

Raymu likes this post

Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years

Post by Raymu Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:01 pm

As if to confirm their suspicions about the eight-sided eye, a dim blue light could be seen shining through one of the dome's windows, the window specifically facing the skyscraper they were currently standing on top of. This was a detail even Cloris could see. It seems this mysterious person was confident the wrong people wouldn't be able to ever find this light, and...They certainly weren't wrong to assume so. The light was so faint the only way you COULD see it would be from above...It was quite clear that this person had put a lot of careful consideration into hiding these clues in plain sight, so easy to find yet even easier to miss if you weren't the intended-recipient.

Thankfully for them heading down the building was simply a matter of following that very same trail of paint backwards. There was nothing else to really see. The one leading them on a path to information they had seemed to have already divulged everything worth seeing in this building at least. If they wanted more breadcrumbs to follow they would have to head for the next building. Although once at the bottom it was probably a good idea for Cloris to grab those power regulators that had been requested first, seeing as the pair of humans WERE right next to that very same corpse spire...

Regardless there are no further clues to be found on the road leading to that old domed building. IN fact it isn't until they arrive at its front entrance that they find the next detail...Namely that the front door has been sealed shut with several padlocks. Five in total. They were thick and a careful eye would notice that they were electrified by being tied to several live power-lines. Anything trying to be cheeky and simply brute force their way through was likely going to be instantly fried. Still, the humans weren't being left in the dark either. Another message written in the anti-drone paint lined the wall next to the front door...

"Ascend from Tartarus to the next layer. Do not seek the wrath of Zeus, instead follow in the footsteps of Icarus.

SvvrmvyaolzbuhuktvvulajolkpuaoldhssAoldpukvdhivclaopzpzfvbyayblluayhujl

Seven is the key to truth."

More cryptic poetry followed by...Gibberish? Perhaps it would take some thinking before they could decipher this one...

Uzi seemed to approve of the ship's AI. Although...Then she asked a question about whether or not it could fire some impressive lasers. Ray raised a finger to answer that quickly! ... And then lowered it, hesitating to speak before giving her an honest answer.

"... You know? I actually don't know. As long as I've been a crew member of that ship we've never gotten into any interplanetary skirmishes."

Uzi was getting pretty agitated about their hypothetical...And then V had to remind everyone that her earlier comment about being okay with harems still stood. Ray's walking pace picked up just a little...

"I'm gonna get busy with my tasks and pretend this conversation didn't happen."

His tone wasn't annoyed in the slightest, if anything...He was simply not used to having anyone of the opposite gender fawning over him. His lack of experience in that regard was making him feel awkward, no doubt pushed further by Uzi clearly not wanting to discuss any of that anyway. Ray grumbled as he crouched down in front of life support's machine-works. He mumbled something likely only V could have heard.

"it was a good friggin' hypothetical you damn purple gremlin..."

Regardless, his mood eased up a little as he got to work pulling out the old ruined parts. First he replaced the filter, it was a simple enough task. Next was the battery, he looked behind him, motioning for V to slide it into place for him. If and when she did he would tighten the bolts and connectors to the battery, ensuring there were no loose parts and nothing unnecessary touching the lines. With that there was only one last thing...

"... Gonna need that power regulator before I can finish this job...I might be able to rig something up but it would seriously risk overloading the battery, then we'll have a radiation leak on top of a non-functional life support. I just hope Cloris and the Captain get here soon...The air in this suit's starting to get real stale."

The engineer slid out from underneath the panel, dusting his hands off and looking up at V.

"I guess all we can really do now is wait."

Ray sat up, pausing in silence for a moment as he looked at the floor...He recalled that final battle against the monster from earlier...It felt like it had happened so long ago, but it had only been about three hours. Still, there was one pressing matter he couldn't get off of his mind. it was one thing that was pervasive like an infection...He looked back up at V, ensuring first that no one else was able to hear their conversation as he briefly glanced around for the other three.

"... Who's Cyn?"

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    More Things:
    Nothost
    Nothost
    Super Friend
    Super Friend
    Three years

Post by Nothost Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:03 pm

Cloris frowned behind her helmet at that implication. ”I hope not. Then all of this trek would be for nothing.

Cloris peered at the building, leaning forward and staring at it. ”There's most certainly traps there. And that building appears to be in good condition. If it's been rigged it won't be easy getting in.”

Cloris followed Karasu down. On the way she started a conversation with him.

”Captain, how familiar are you with poker?”

What they found when they got to the building made Cloris stare in wonder at it. From the trap to the engraving on the door. Of course, if it was written in the same painting, Karasu would have had to relay it to her.

”Astounding. Not only did they rig an electric lock, but they made
    wreference to the God of lighting. Seven is the key… seven…”

Cloris walked up as close as she could, bending forward and peering at the message.

”Oh, I like the way you think.”

Cloris stood up straight, looking back at Karasu.

“It’s a Cipher. Seven is the key. That message on there is either Roman or Greek in nature. Give me a few minutes to code this together.”

She took out the notebook and pen she brought with her, then started writing something down. She then scribbled it out.

”So you went with the roman route then. You’re very well read, whoever you are…”

Cloris then wrote out something else, then held it up to Karasu.

Look for the sun and moon etched in the wall. The window above this is your true entrance.

Uzi stared at Chaos in confusion as he elaborated on it. “I was hoping I heard that wrong, but you really did just combine “doorman” with “anime” didn’t you?”

Uzi let out a little laugh, shaking her head. ”Geez you’re a dork Chaos.”

Uzi stared at Ray incredulously. ”You… don’t know if your ship has weapons or not? Did you buy it from JC Jenson and didn’t read the manual or something?”

Uzi stared at V, rolling her eyes. ”Okay, I’ll try and be polite. Just stop bringing up that open relationship thing you’ve got going.”

Uzi did her part getting things ready. Of course they were missing an all important piece. ”They better not take too long. I don’t like the idea of you being in a damaged suit Ray.”

And then he went and talked to V about something. And it looked like J was talking with Chaos. Sighing, Uzi walked over to a corner by herself, folding her arms.

”Guess I’ll just stand here until things get ready.”

She muttered, leaning against the wall.

Doll couldn’t exactly argue with Lizzy on any of that. She paused, Looking into Lizzy’s eyes. ”Net, eto ne tak.”

[“No, it didn’t.”]

Doll frowned at the memory of that thing. If she hadn’t been there with Lizzy, then she would have lost someone else close to her. She stroked Lizzy’s hair again.

”Khorosho, davayte poprobuyem uznat' lyudey poluchshe. No davayte budem ostorozhny, ladno?”

[“Okay, lets try and get to know the humans better. But let's be careful, okay?”]

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯

Raymu likes this post

Amord
    Amord
    Remilia's Husband
    Remilia's Husband
    Ten years

Post by Amord Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:36 pm

"It would be. Which means that no matter how much it has changed, it is still a machine, and bound by the logic that entails."

Karasu then replies. Still, things were up in the air right now...
    "I suppose we'll find out when we find whoever this is, though. But whoever it is seems pretty confident that this would both stall those things -- and probably even kill them, if they came investigating instead of us."

While they were on the way down and out the building, Cloris also struck up a conversation, asking how familiar the Captain was with poker.

"Hmm. I can't exactly say I'm an expert. But I know the game and I've played it before. In that game it's important to be able to bluff -- when you have good cards and you have bad cards."
    He responds, then glancing over at her briefly.
    "Why do you ask?"

While on the way to their destination, they briefly detoured to pick up the power regulators.

When they eventually arrived at the Library, he spots more of that paint. He also holds out a hand to keep Cloris from getting too close to the doors. After relaying the hint and taking in their surroundings, it became clear as to why.

What was not quite so clear was this riddle. The only thing Karasu knew for sure is that the door was not the way to go here. So obviously, one needed to go in another way -- and he could probably find one. But he couldn't guarantee that it would be the right way inside.

Given the traps from before, picking any entrance at random would be ill-advised. Fortunately, Cloris is quick to start her work on solving this conundrum.

"The sun and the moon etched into the wall, huh... I guess we'll have to go around until we find something like that, then."

There WAS another option, but he'd rather not chance that one either. Best to keep playing the game for now. In light of that, Karasu starts the search for this sun and moon.

Chaos continued to detail why he had settled on Vow for a place to live. Unfortunately this was one of the downsides of that bloody Company... Everything was cheap and affordable! And all the fine print tried to absolve them of the very obvious issues that they so conveniently forget to mention every time.

"Yeah. JCJensen is the way to go if you want a job."

Plus... J could always get Chaos to work under her! Now that would be pretty fun... But that thought was briefly interrupted as she heard the distinct sounds of JCJensen being slandered!

"Not possible. If they bought it from JCJensen, then each of our products are clearly outlined and detailed in our advertising for the convenience of the consumer. Such as the JCJensen Roamer that they used to get here."

With her defense of her parent company now up... Ray then remarks that he's going to pretend that this whole conversation didn't happen, along with Uzi saying that she'll be more polite -- so long as V stops bringing up the open relationship.

The Disassembly Drone shrugs at that.

"Very well, your terms are agreeable."

And then V leans in towards Ray to ask quietly...
    "You seem a little uncomfortable. Are you alright?"

Shortly after V's question, Uzi then comments her hopes that the others won't take too long, thanks to Ray's damaged suit. Although J seemed to patch it up pretty well, V mirrors the sentiment.

"Yeah. I'm at least not detecting any leaks. But it would be better to have the Life Support back up so we can do a thorough check."

Finally, Chaos confirmed that is the 'doorime' that he meant. At least up until Uzi finished processing what she just heard, and asked about it.

'Door' and 'Anime'. Oooh. J stops the MP3 that she was playing, and blinks.

"Oh. You're just shy, then."

And the flirting is back on... And she also spies an opportunity to mess with Uzi too. For a moment, she mulls that over in her head. Did she want to see them both flustered? Maybe. Plus it WAS true that Chaos liked her, so... Yeah, she's gonna do it.

"By the way, Uzi. I think Chaos likes you."

She casually drops with a smile, just as Uzi was leaning against the wall.

In any case, Ray and V are off on their own in the Life Support Bay. Unfortunately it seemed like without the part, they weren't going to get anywhere. So they just had to sit and wait... Ray was already starting to make himself comfortable in that regard as he looked towards V.

Then he asks a pretty loaded question, just as V was sitting down. She finishes the motion, still thinking over how to best answer him.

"... Cyn is..."

She trails off. Still clearly trying to work things out in her head. Ray wasn't like N -- and Humans were pretty resilient, too... But it was still going to be really dangerous for him. She preferred her habits of hunting these things alone. But she could tell that right now, Ray wouldn't accept anything but the truth.

He wanted answers, and even though she felt conflicted about it, she knew that he was owed them. She lets out a small sigh, finally opening up.

"Cyn is the one that... Seems to be behind all of the corruptions and mutations you've seen. I don't remember everything clearly, but I do remember that much."

V explains. Once again she falls silent for awhile, as if trying to figure out how much she should reveal to him right now... But, considering that this barely told him anything, she already knew that he would want to know more... Slowly nodding to herself in acceptance of that, she keeps going.

"She's been around for awhile. I don't know how she got to Copper-9, but I'm pretty sure this is all her handiwork, too. I've been trying to put a stop to her for awhile now."

With that, she then looks into Ray's eyes.

"N doesn't know any of this. Or, she can't remember, anyway. And that's probably for the best. J thinks that I also don't remember, but I do. But she's probably coming to the same conclusions that I am."

She still felt uncomfortable opening up about this. But she knew it was necessary -- just as it was for her to tell him how dangerous she is.

"Cyn is on a whole other level compared to either of those monsters. But you won't be able to tell when you first see her. Her whole thing is trying to look small and harmless -- 'adorable'."

With another sigh, she then finishes her explanation with;
    "But if you run into her. She's going to be more curious than anything, I think. So don't try to confront her. Satisfy her curiosity, and leave her alone."

Lizzy already felt more at ease over the fact that Doll agreed with her regarding that... Thing. She might not have known the first thing about it, but she knew it was nothing but bad news. Even for someone as capable as Doll.

"Yeah. And if anything like that is still around, I think you're going to need some reliable backup..."

Which led to the Humans. Doll was agreeing to getting to know them, but also wanted to exercise caution, and that was fine. Just as long as they were making plans, she could work with that. Rushing into any of this blindly seemed like a terrible idea.

"We'll be careful. And we've got this! You saw how he got flustered, right? I think he's a big ol' softie."

Lizzy replies with a small grin, clearly referring to Chaos.

"The other one doesn't seem bad either..."
    Her grin does fade however, so she can address something that has probably been eating at Doll.

"I know you still want your revenge. So... I'm going to lay it out nice and simple for you."

With that, she moves her hand in order to move her pinky finger around Doll's -- a gesture for a promise.

"If I ever try to stop you from getting it, it's because I'm trying to save you. Okay? Not because I'm turning against you. I promise."

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    CivilProtection
    CivilProtection
    Ten years

Post by CivilProtection Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:19 pm

"It... it wasnt on purpose Uzi!" I said, replying to her. "I... I just wanted your attention since you... you looked a little lonely, yeah!" I said, trying to make up an excuse. Then Uzi called me a dork. "No, your a nerd...!"

"You know J, joining JCJenson isnt a bad idea. I'll think about it"

Out of seemingly nowhere, J says that I like Uzi. "L...like her? I mean, uhh... jeez, yeah, Uzi is cool yeah! I like her! She killed that solver beast!" I said, thinking J meant I like her in a certain way. However, upon looking at J I think she meant as in like liking her. I blush again. "I mean..." I whisper to myself. "Y...yeah, she is cute..." "...Anways...!" I said in a normal tone

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯

Click Me!

Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years

Post by Raymu Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:24 pm

A quick search around the building would reveal a small statue hanging over the corner at the second floor level. Indeed below this statue were carvings in the wall. A stylized sun and moon with faces on them. If the two humans were to look above the statue...? A window was lined up almost perfectly with it. Now it was just a matter of climbing up to the second floor. When they did they would find this window was not only unlocked, but safe to open.

A quick check of the other windows would reveal that Karasu's suspicions were correct - Every other window in sight was armed with high powered explosives that were hooked to tripwires that had been pulled taut against the closed windows. If any of the other entrances had been taken then not only would that mine explode - The explosive traps were all placed close enough together that one going off would cause a chain reaction. It didn't take a genius to figure out that whoever this was created a set up that would collapse the entire building if someone got in when they weren't the intended party. Thankfully for the two humans however, due to this set up, the rest of the interior was actually free of traps. Some signs marked the way to the building's library, and from there they would be one step closer to finding the "truth"...Whatever it consisted of.

Murder Drones: Disassembly Required - Page 12 Library

The library itself was incredible even despite it being run down from years of neglect. It consisted of several floors all within a large circle at the center of the building. Up above in the ceiling was the dome - The "eight-sided eye" they had been pointed towards. The amount of books here were almost uncountable by two people alone. It's likely that when humans lived here, this place was probably considered the biggest collection of books in all of Copper-9. However, despite being abandoned, one might notice that this room had some strange inconsistencies with that clear nature. Despite being abandoned all of the books were placed neatly within their shelves; They were even organized by alphabet and contents. The floor were free of debris even despite having clearly been host to fallen ceiling tiles and snowdrifts at some point in time given the wear and tear that was clearly present even in the dark. Chairs had been moved into placements that seemed like they belonged in someone's home rather than in a public library, and the most odd detail of all is that this room was...Warm. Yes in spite of the harsh cold outside, this room seemed to have had its insulation upgraded.

Regardless of the state of this library... Careful observation would reveal railing barely peaking out from above, indicating there was even a floor up inside of the dome itself. Chances are high that there was a way up there from within the library itself, but all the obviously visible doors seemed to only lead between the five accessible floors, not the Dome room...Perhaps with a library full of an extensive collection of literary works, one might find an answer if they recalled the hints they had been given earlier?

V asked Ray if he was okay since he clearly seemed uncomfortable...Although he wasn't exactly sure how to answer that without giving away what he was thinking, so he opted instead to give V a thumbs up. Thankfully he didn't have to dwell on it long before Uzi shifted the conversation towards the ship and how it was baffling he didn't know what it was equipped with. J seemed insistent that it wasn't the fault of J.C. Jensen...But the engineer had a more obvious answer for Uzi.

"It's because the ship's not mine. The captain put out a contract for anybody with specific skill sets and I took it without asking questions. This was my first trip in of the Stormborder."

V and Uzi both seemed worried about his suit, but Ray simply shrugged. Despite everything it seems he was the least worried about this part of it. At least compared to everything else.

"I've dealt with a lot worse than a hole. besides this sealant tape is made to be long-lasting. Considering it's made to patch holes on ships it's gotta be able to stay on for months at a time, and to resist the heat of re-entry on top of that. It would probably take a Disassembly drone to tear this hole open again."

...Ray thought back to the kind of parts that monster had earlier and realized he was probably tempting fate with that declaration.

"... uh, let's just try to avoid sharp objects for now."

Regardless...V and himself had a moment to discuss some of the drone's past. Or at least, some kind of past she was aware of. Cyn...The one who seemed to be behind all of the horrible things that had attacked them since their arrival.

".. Then the zombie drones...? That huge monster we fought...? All of it? It's...One person..."

The engineer grabbed the side of his helmet, seemingly trying to process all of that. That something this horrible could be caused by one determined individual...He shakes his head and takes note of something specific that V had said.

"But you don't remember everything. So some of your memory is missing? I don't suppose you have an idea of just how long it's been like that...Do you?"

N and J seemed to be in the dark on different levels when it came to this "Cyn" person...N didn't know at all, and J knew a lot but didn't think the other two knew. For now maybe it was best that things stayed that way, just as V suggested.

And yet...He couldn't help but want to know more when V swore that Cyn was on a level far above anything they had seen tonight.

"So this Cyn...She's a drone like you right?"

Ray paused for only a moment, clarifying why he asked that question.

"I can't imagine a human doing something on this level, so she's gotta be mechanical..."

At least it seemed Cyn wasn't the type to simply attack on sight...If her curiosity was satisfied the engineer could still save himself should he find that scenario happening. It did relieve him somewhat, but at the same time he found himself growing even more concerned that he essentially had to act like a plaything to avoid dying.

"Much as I don't want to be a curiosity for something that makes monsters...I guess I'll just have to play along."

He looked at the floor for a moment before looking at the seated disassembly drone.

"... It's probably for the best if I just never run into her at all though."

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    More Things:
    Nothost
    Nothost
    Super Friend
    Super Friend
    Three years

Post by Nothost Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:16 pm

”You saw how the hints threw off Aegis. While the creature we’re dealing with is a more advanced AI, it’s still not going to be able to view things from a human perspective. Add in some traps and its going to make things hard for that creature to track down this person.

Cloris walked alongside him, conversing with the captain. ”Generally speaking, poker strategies fall into two broad categories. The first is exploitative, which involves reading your opponent and trying to dissect their play. The second is Game theory optimal, which is more about focusing on yourself so that others can’t exploit you. You don’t think of what your opponents do.”

Cloris looked over at the Captain. ” Which do you think is more optimal strategy Captain?”

It didn't take that long for them to find the window once they knew what to look for. And when they got in, they could see the full extent of the traps that were set up. Cloris whistled.

”Remind me to never cheat against this person if I play them in poker. They really want us to play by the rules. Wait a minute…”

After they had both gotten in, Cloris closed the window behind them. ”Captain, the Inside of this place is completely insulated.”

The whole place was off. Like the Cataclysm outside had never happened. Cloris reached up with both hands and took off her helmet. She looked around the room in awe.

”The Copper 9 Central Library. It's like time never passed here. Wonderful.”

Cloris took a deep breath. She was taking it all in. There was a smile on her face. It was the look someone had wheb eaten their favorite meal after being deprived of It for so long. Something that they savored after experiencing it again.

She then paused, looking up at the ceiling. ”As much as I want to take this all in, we’very got somewhere we’ve got to go. Lets follow in Icarus’s footsteps and find the path up there.”

Cloris tucked her helmet under her arm and started looking around. With her eyes she could quickly read the titles of books, even ones that were further up and out of reach.

”Look for anything that stands out captain. Something that's out of place.”

In the end there were some books that were in places that there weren't supposed to be. They managed to collect 6 of them. The titles of which were as follows:

"Informational Sorting for Beginners”
    "Cooking by the Book (And other recipes)"
    "Amadeus Mozart's Greatest Works"
    "Russian Poetry"
    "Urban Birdwatching Guide"

When they gathered them all, she paused, then pointed At the first letter of each book.

“I. C. A. R. U. So the last book should start with an S.”

And indeed, the final out of place book was titled ”Solaris” She pulled it out, then stared at the space where the book was.

=Hello, what do we have here?”

She reached inside, stretching her arm out.

”Aha! There's a lever here!”

She pulled it, then stepped back a couple of paces. The bookshelf swung outward, revealing A staircase behind the bookshelf. She held a hand back at her captain.

”Let me take the lead. I don't think there are any traps up this way, but we can't be too careful.”

She carefully made her way up the staircase, looking around for traps. And so Incarus inched ever closer to the sun.

”Wow, so you took the Stormboarder as your first job and it went south on you? Your luck is pretty terrible. Don’t play card games with the defense force.”

She rolled her eyes at J as she defended the company. She raised her hands in exasperation. “Okay miss corporate. Guess I can’t make jokes about JC Jenson around you.

And thank robo jesus, they managed to move on from that conversation about the open relationship. Now they were focused on something more important: the condition of Ray’s suit.

”I don’t think a patch job is going to last forever with that type of suit, even if it is a good one. Say, you shouldn’t dive headfirst into the radioactive blizzard anytime soon. Especially if there are more zombie drones out there.”

And of course there were worst things that were possibly out there. But Uzi didn’t really want to focus on that possibility. One abomination was scary enough to deal with. She put her hands on her hips as she looked at Ray.

”And that means no reckless stunts Ray. Or you’ll end up tearing up that suit more. Besides that’s my schtick.”

Meanwhile with Chaos, she let out a little laugh, shaking her head and smiling at Chaos. ”Hey, I’m used to be a loner. But thanks, dork.”

Uzi stared over at J when she said that Chaos liked her. She then glanced at Chaos. If he wasn’t wearing a helmet, she would have taken that in a completely different way. As it was, she couldn’t see the blush. She then looked at J, nodding at him.

”Yeah, I like him too. I wouldn’t watch anime with someone I didn’t like.”

Uzi didn’t even consider that it was the other kind of like. Who would like an anti-social moody teen like her?

”kak lyudi”

[“Like the humans.”]

Doll said simply. She thought back to how that human had reacted. A thoughtful look spread across her face.

”YA ne mog videt' yego litsa i ne znakom s lyud'mi. Dumayete, on prosto stesnyalsya razgovarivat' s dronami? Ili vy dumayete, chto on nami interesovalsya?”

[“I couldn't see his face, and I'm not familiar with humans. Do you think he was just embarassed with talking with drones? Or do you think he was interested in us?”]

The other human didn’t seem too bad either. But the only way to confirm that for herself was to actually talk to the guy. Which was something that they were going to have to do anyway. She watched as Lizzy extended her pinky and wrapped it around hers. Doll returned the gesture, looking into Lizzy’s eyes.

”YA znayu, chto ty ne vosstanesh' protiv menya. No spasibo, Lizzy. YA obeshchayu vsegda zashchishchat' tebya.”

[“I know you won't turn against me. But thank you Lizzy. I promise to always protect you.”]

Doll the sealed it with a soft kiss on the lips, tightening her pinky around Lizzys.

Raymu likes this post

Amord
    Amord
    Remilia's Husband
    Remilia's Husband
    Ten years

Post by Amord Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:14 pm

Cloris put together her thoughts on the AIs that they were dealing with, and whoever this person was seemed to know how to work around those limitations. That led to her point involving Poker -- and a question for the Captain as well.

Karasu replies with zero hesitation:

"Both would be more optimal."

And then he elaborates on his reasoning;

"The ideal form of this would be to dissect your opponent's form of play and then focusing on your own moves so you cannot be exploited. In this case, that monster is probably hanging back and letting us solve these puzzles and lead them to what they're after."

He pauses briefly, and then continues.
    "That is the optimal move it has at it's disposal. If we succeed, we lead it right to what it wants. If we fail, then the ship has less people to guard it. No matter the outcome, it obtains a favorable result."

It was certainly hard to argue with the logical conclusion that he had made...

"It is avoiding confrontation, and simply waiting and watching for a more favorable opportunity. Don't let your guard down, even if this messenger is still alive."

Still... Seeing all of the explosions lined up at every entrance... This place would be reduced to a crater. Not that it mattered at this point if the monster saw the correct way inside. It could just trace their steps.

Still, this Library was unusual even despite the traps that lined up every conceivable entrance. It was like a giant time capsule. Everything else was in ruins, but this place was as well cared for as when society was still up and running. Cloris said it was time to get back to the task at hand, and the Captain nods in agreement.

"Given the earlier riddles, it would appear that we're going to find the answers on the ground floor. Going up higher is a red herring."

Eventually, Cloris finds some books that were out of place, along with their titles spelling out... Yes, Icarus. With the last one revealing a lever. Cloris reaches in and pulls it, and then the bookcase swings outward to reveal a hidden staircase. After that, the woman holds a hand out and suggests that she takes the lead.

Karasu shakes his head at that, however.

"If there are more traps -- or any riddles or hints, you won't be able to see them. I'll take point."

Cloris might not like the idea of having to stay in the back again, but... He both had a gun, and the means to see any of the hidden messages. It was for the best that he takes the lead, and that was exactly what he started to do, pistol readied, but not aimed.

He scanned the steps, the walls, and the ceiling carefully. And he intended to check the blind spots once they had gotten to their destination, too.

J simply nods in agreement with Uzi's assessment.
    "JCJensen is no joking matter."

Still... Watching her and Chaos go at it, it was easy to tell that they got along with each other. Now, normally J would get jealous about this sort of thing... But she knew that she could get attention from Chaos whenever she wanted. He was FAR more recipient to such things than Tessa ever was. Only becoming clearer as Chaos mentions that he wouldn't mind joining up with JCJensen.

"It DOES sound pretty nice. You could be my assistant!"

J then replies, such an idea putting her into a good mood. The ease of getting attention from him is exactly why she was playing this little game now, as Chaos got flustered over her bluntly stating that he likes Uzi -- and the Worker Drone seems to not quite understand what J was getting at here.

She smirks as she begins to elaborate.[/i]

"No, I mean he likes you. You know. Finds you attractive?"

V nods at Ray's words regarding Cyn... Although she did correct one thing;

"She's definitely responsible for it. But I don't think she directly controls them all, all the time. They're like toys to her, but she also gives them some autonomy... Probably when she gets bored of them."

Still... The other concerning aspect was the state of her memories. Ray was wondering how long they'd been damaged like that. She calmly shrugs at that.

"There's a haze, and I know that some things aren't accessible right now, for one reason or another. It's been like that for awhile, but I didn't forget everything, at least."

V then explains -- and it also meant that when he asked his next question, she was able to answer it for him.

"Yes. She was a Worker Drone. She's become much more than that, however."

In any case, Ray seemed to accept that trying to fight her was a bad idea; it was far better to just... Not run into her at all. V smiles lightly at that.

"I agree. If she shows up, I'll make sure that you're safe, too."

She was at least glad that he wasn't going to be reckless against Cyn... He put himself into some serious danger earlier.

Doll seemed to catch on pretty quick on what kind of backup Lizzy was talking about. The blonde gives a nod at that.
    "Yes. And the Disassembly Drones they have with them. They've done some horrible things, you won't see me excusing any of it... But they ARE effective in a fight. More than any Worker Drone has a chance of being."

Still, Doll grew thoughtful; and she wondered aloud about Chaos. Whether he was just embarrassed while talking to Drones, or if there was something more. Lizzy grins at that question.

"Oh trust me. The fact that we're Drones didn't even cross his mind, he saw us as cute girls -- and he didn't know how to handle the idea of us flirting with him."

Lizzy's judge of character.... It certainly had some biases every now and then. But it was rarely inaccurate. Sometimes it was a little frightening just how much she could predict from simple observation and interaction.

But... Even more important than that, Doll was accepting the gesture and the promise. As she tightened her pinky around Lizzy's, the blonde does the same.

"Good. As long as we stick together, we're an unstoppable team."

Just like that, Lizzy's grin was brimming with confidence, instead of the usual mischievousness.

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯

Raymu likes this post

CivilProtection
    CivilProtection
    Ten years

Post by CivilProtection Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:25 pm

"Your welcome, Geek!" I said, jokingly.

I smile at J. "Your assistant? Y'know, that doesnt sound half bad. Once we are done with all this, I think Im going to find someone and get a job at JCJenson"

"Cant wait to watch anime with Uzi sometime though, I havent watched something with someone in months." I replied to Uzi about the topic of me liking her. Then J claims that I find her attractive, which isnt far from the truth. Uzi is indeed very cute and I would want to have a relationship with her. But I feel we might ruin our friendship if we become more than just friends. I blush again. "I... I..." Trying to cut off the topic, I try to patch in. "We... we should fix one of the apartments, j...just so Ray and V can have a nice... a nice place to live in! No use waiting around for Cloris to give us that power regulator!" After saying that, I run over to the closest abandoned apartment, trying to hide my embarrassment.

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯

Click Me!

Raymu likes this post

Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years

Post by Raymu Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:05 pm

The bookcase opened up to a winding staircase that went upwards in a spiral...Lucky for them there were no traps at all; a fact that was confirmed by one more painted message for Karasu to read. "No traps no fear". It was uneventful as an eerie quiet fell over the trip upwards. The usual howl of the wind raging outside didn't even breech this hidden staircase as a whisper. For perhaps the first time since they arrived, the two humans could hear the ringing in their ears that marked total silence...

And then they reached the top of the staircase. Upon entering the room at the top which hid within the dome. "The eight-sided eye"...Several black lights turned on in response to their presence. The walls which had been bare only seconds before were now covered in strange symbols and drawings, all done in paint that only appeared under a black light.

Murder Drones: Disassembly Required - Page 12 Image

Murder Drones: Disassembly Required - Page 12 Solver_symbol

Below that final image that seemed to be composed of perfect geometric shapes was a single message:

"Mark of the Witch"

Indeed it looked as though someone had been gathering quite a lot of information here...But the humans hadn't come here only to receive some drawings on the wall. A desk sat at the wall opposite from the staircase. Once they approached it a holographic display would appear:

"Scanning for biological signatures:

Biological signatures match database. Welcome Humans."

A blue light appeared and began to run over the pair as the messages read on the screen. Eventually it disappeared alongside the message welcoming them...And the display soon opened up much larger than it had before, there were several holographic screens that appeared above the desk, each with information of a different sort. The central display began to fill up with words...

"If you're reading this then that means I was right to entrust you with this information. I'm sorry we couldn't meet in person, but it's too dangerous. I knew there was a risk of those who belong to the enemy following you to this place. Though I am ashamed to admit it, if that had come to pass this information would have deleted itself, and you would have been left to fend for yourselves.

I hope you understand however. What I am discovering cannot fall into the hands of those who align themselves under the mark of the witch. I am starting to understand that this concerns all of humanity - Perhaps even all of the civilized universe as a whole. I'm afraid you're already part of something much bigger than you could have ever anticipated, and it's too late to back out of this. Take a look to the display on your left if you wish to know more about me."

Right on cue the left holographic display started to play a video. It was security camera footage of a currently unknown location. On the display was a timer for how long the footage had been playing, and a date display. The date listed here marked this event in the recording as having happened four months ago...It was watching and recording a squad of Disassembly Drones just like the three the human crew had come to know in their short time on this planet.

A drone wearing a concealing hooded cloak.

A drone with a tophat and a strangely cheery disposition.

A drone which carried itself as though it was naturally created to be a leader.

A drone with long black hair.

And finally a drone wearing a military officer's hat.

These five stood stalwart in an entrenched position, each of them effortlessly dispatching zombie drones which mindlessly shambled towards them. despite the howling of the wind in this footage, their voices could still be heard over the recording.

"Dealing with these half-weights is the easiest thing I've done all day! I told you this would be a simple mission! Now if Serial Designation E doesn't find some way to screw the pooch maybe we can go home in the next five minutes!"

The one in the military cap scoffed at him.

"Please, asking E to not screw up is like asking the snow on this shithole of a planet to not fall!"

Instead of humoring his response, the leader drone barks back in an enthusiastic tone as he fires his smg hands into the crowd of zombie drones.

"Serial Designation M! You just volunteered for an extra patrol route! If you want another then I suggest you KEEP RUNNING YOUR DAMN HOLE!!"

As the squad kept unloading their weapons into the slowly advancing hoard, they and the camera both bore witness to something strange. Their movement became slower and slower until they just...Stopped. The army of mindless zombie drones were now simply standing in place staring at the DD Squad, even as the disassemblers kept destroying them...It inevitably caused the squad to stop attacking after the cloaked drone pointed it out.

"Wait! Hold your fire! Something's not right..."

Each drone briefly lowered their weapons as they watched...

"You're right. Squad, keep on your guard. This job's about to get real interesting."

All five drones backed up to huddle together, their backs facing each other so as to leave no openings. The sound of heavy mechanical footsteps began to be audible over the camera. The DD squad were visibly scanning every inch of their surroundings as their digital eyes bounced back and forth slowly...

"We're surrounded...I can't nail down the direction of that sound!"

The cloaked drone placed a hand on M's shoulder briefly.

"Easy M...Getting worked up is how you die in this line of work. Just keep watching."

And then it became visible: The source of those heavy footsteps. The crowd of zombie drones could be seen stepping aside; practically parting like a wave...The very same mechanical abomination that was fought and killed inside of Outpost 3 was calmly walking right towards the squad of Disassembly drones. The drone in long black hair was the first to spot it, but considering how impossible it was NOT to see this going on, the others quickly took notice too.

"W-What is that...?"

The leader of the group smirked, seemingly unphased by this development.

"It's just another target."

The leader stepped forward out of formation.

"Alright you scum sucking maggots! This just turned into a hunt! If you've got a deathwish then follow my lead! If you wanna turn tail and run then you be sure to tell J.C. Jensen that Serial Designation U bagged the big one!"

All five of them trained their weapons on the hulking monster and opened fire.

The solver beast began to sprint right at them as they fired off a blinding volley of bullets. Each round seemed to warp and go around their target, almost as if the bullets were avoiding it...It didn't take long for the beast to close the gap. It ran right towards the drone with long black hair.

"Come on then! COME TAKE IT!!"

She turned both of her hands into swords and began to swipe at the solver beast. Massive punches were narrowly dodged as it swung at her. As she dived out of the way, the disassembly drone dug her feet in and lunged forward, aiming to plant both blades square in the beast's chest, however before she could connect the beast raised its leg and grabbed hold of her head with a clawed foot.

"Mmph?!"

The disassembly drone started to aim its stinger at the leg that had grabbed her only for the solver beast to suddenly swing its leg outwards, slamming her directly into a steel wall and leaving a massive dent where she struck. It then kept spinning before slamming its foot down into the snow-covered ground. The drone pinned below its foot was desperately clawing at it with bladed hands. As the rest of the squad fired with no effect, the monster lifted her up, and with a simple squeeze, the black haired DD's head was crushed like it was a melon.

"No! Damn you!!"

M switched to a rocket launcher and fired off a missile. With seemingly no emotional reaction on the part of the solver beast, it tossed the drone corpse it had just created right into the missile, causing the explosion to fall short of its intended target. M's digital eyes went hollow as he watched the body absolutely decimated by his own attack.

"... Aghhhhhh!!!"

The drone's wings unfolded and he swooped around the beast at high speeds. He flew in zig zags around the beast until it was confused by the assault. Once it was open, M jumped onto its back and latched on. He began clawing at its back. The solver beast tried to reach back at him as it swiped both hands at him, but the nimble drone was able to shift left and right to dodge it.

"M, stop! We don't know what this thing is capable of!"

"Shut it 99! I'm gonna kill this thing all on my own!!!"

U and 99 ran forward to attack the beast from the front, but before they could close the distance, a pair of monstrous...Almost organic-looking wings sprouted from its back, nearly pushing M off.

"Shit-!"

With a blast of air the beast took off into the sky with the disassembly drone still hanging onto it.

"Serial Designation M! Nice job! That distraction plan of yours will let me take a clear shot on this sucker!"

U and 99 drew out their wings, flying up and giving chase to the beast. Though they had flown out of sight of the security camera, the screen went static for only a moment as it came back in from the perspective of 99's vision. It seems this drone had taken her own memory recordings and spliced them in to give the humans a view of this part.

"M, don't let go! I don't think you can deploy your wings with this amount of turbulence!"

As the solver beast slowed its climb into the sky they had all passed the cloud layer, M looked over at 99, shouting back at her.

"Are you crazy?! You think I'm just gonna-"

A spindly arm with a blade on the end suddenly sprouted from the beast's back, stabbing M directly in the head and interrupting him. The disassembly drone let go of the beast's back...Most would have let the body fall. But this creature was clearly of a level of cruelty beyond necessity. As he fell, the solver beast grabbed hold of M...And then it dived down back towards the surface of the planet, keeping the disassembly drone's body outstretched.

"M no!!"

The footage changed back to the security camera just in time to witness the solver beast slamming the body straight into the ground, the impact so hard that it created a crater where they landed. When the dust settled only the solver beast was still standing. A mangled drone corpse lay below it...99, U, and E were all now surrounding this monster as it turned its sights on 99. 99 began to slowly back away from it while firing off shots from the sniper rifle extending out of her right arm. She continued like this until suddenly a glitch appeared on the footage...it was just like the glitch Cloris had seen before. It appeared around 99 and then in the next instant her left arm had been ripped off.

"Aghhh!!"

The arm flew off towards the solver beast and hovered in front of it...In the next moment U leapt in from the side, charging a laser shot aimed right at the monster.

"Ashes to ashes motherfucker!!"

The solver beast's many heads turned to look at U, screeching at him as the concentrated light from his laser cannon blinded it, and then it threw 99's severed arm at him as the arm was switched to blade form. It was aimed so precisely as to be inhuman; lodging itself in the laser attachment of U's arm and causing the pierced spot to glow brightly until it blew up in his face, throwing him back and out of view.

99 fell motionless for a moment, her right hand gripping the spot where her left arm once was. She seemed to be contemplating something...She drew her sniper rifle back out again and aimed it straight at the solver beast. It laughed while walking towards her slowly...And then it spoke with M's voice.

"You and I both know that's not going to work."

99 nodded her head slowly in agreement with that assessment...And then she immediately aimed it at the snow below her feet and fired, the impact of a high caliber round in the snowdrifts caused a cloud of blinding white dust to be kicked up, completely concealing her within. The solver beast perked up in surprise.

"CLEVER SLAVE-!"

The solver beast raced towards the spot where she was standing only to be met with a laser cannon that had been detached from her hand now glowing as it was forced to overload. The solver beast attempted to halt its approached but as it slid to a stop right above the cannon a loud boom and blinding flash was followed by the inhuman roar of several creatures all at once. The last thing that was heard before the recording cut to static was 99's voice calling out.

"E! RETREAT NOW!!"

The recording fell silent as static replaced the action that occurred moments ago. Eventually the footage came back in from the same camera. The run time indicated that five hours had passed since the last piece of footage. U's body lay unconscious in the snow. Something out of view dragged him away before it cut to static again...It came back one last time, now three additional hours after the last piece of footage. 99 walked into view...Stopping and crouching down to check the snow covered ground. She then stood up before slowly turning to look at the camera. And that...Is when the footage shut off entirely. The left-hand display closed and the other displays paused to allow the humans time to process what they were seeing.

Ray shook his head at Uzi's statement.

"Not my first job. Just the latest one."

He grinned from behind his helmet, nodding at Uzi's advice.

"Yeah I don't plan on doing that any time soon."

He did however sigh, rubbing the side of his helmet in embarrassment as Uzi insisted he drop the reckless behavior.

"I know I should! I just...I sometimes act without thinking."

Still...V was sharing more and more info about this "Cyn" person...And yet all of that information only gave him more questions.

"She gives them free will? Why? Doesn't that bring a risk of them turning on her? Sure if she's as strong as you're saying she can probably handle it, but...Why even take that risk?"

The engineer lowered his head for a moment, taking it all in as V clarified that yes, some of her memories were simply inaccessible as a whole. Unfortunately that gap in her memory also kept her from identifying how long it's been like this, and who or what may have locked those memories away. Though V's clarification that those memories were simply inaccessible rather than gone entirely gave Ray an idea as he perked up.

"You said they aren't accessible...I have a full drone diagnostic system back on the ship. There's a chance that I might be able to open up your files and pull them out...Uh, if you'd allow me to, anyway."

He rubbed the back of his neck, looking away.

"I realize doing that's kinda like reading a human's thoughts. It's a HUGE invasion of privacy and I wouldn't do it unless you gave the okay on it."

He hesitated a little more, almost seeming embarrassed to say this next part, but he did eventually get it out, even if he was very quiet in saying it.

"Besides there's also a risk of you getting damaged and I um...Don't wanna see you hurt..."

The engineer blushed, looking everywhere but directly at V. When she mentioned that Cyn had once been a drone, but was now something more, that caused him to perk up and let go of some of his bashfulness for a moment.

"Huh? Something more? You mean like a Disassembly Drone?"

It was clear he didn't quite get what V meant by that...Still, he smiled at her when she promised to protect him if they ever ran into Cyn.

"Thanks V."

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    More Things:

Nothost likes this post

Nothost
    Nothost
    Super Friend
    Super Friend
    Three years

Post by Nothost Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:14 pm

Cloris listened to Karasu's full reasoning before responding.

“That's the heart of the matter. There are as many answers as there are people. It's a matter of preference as to what approach someone, or something takes. You can use a algorithm or theory to put probability into your favor. But if you can't read your opponent, then you won't get very far.”

Cloris thought of the full implications the captain told her. ”Which means either that thing is either unsure if it could take on two humans, or it wants that messenger bad enough that its will to let us walk around if it means finding this individual.”

When the captain had told her to take point, she frowned, but did as she was told. Once the captain had led Her all the way up the staircase, she gasped at what they found. Her eyes picked up all the art before the captain can look at it. Cloris started it all in wonder.

”The symbol of the witch… is that what that creature is called? And what do these other pictures depict? Fascinating.”

Cloris moved over to the desk. She raised her hand as the blue light scanned her. She lowered it when the voice started talking. She took it all in, her green eyes studying the displays as she listened to the message.

”So we were left a message. So we have no idea what condition they're actually in.”

Which made Cloris feel a little sad. The person who preserved the library, who was helping them from the shadows, could be in danger, or was already dead. And then things got truly grim. The person explained that there was so much at stake. She stared in disbelief.

What have we gotten ourselves into?”

Perhaps the answer was within the next part of information that was provided to them. Cloris pointed at the date on the tape.

”If this is accurate, then this occurred 8 months after the footage I obtained from the zombie drone. The creatures had more than half a year to prepare.”

Cloris watched in silent for a bit after that. At first it was just them slaughtering zombie drones. Then their quarry started behaving weirdly. Like something was telling them to stop. Sure enough, something lumbered into view. Cloris's breath left her mouth when she saw it.

”It's one of those things.”

Cloris pointed to the screen as the bullets curved around the creature. ”There’s some type of force field around it. Magnetic perhaps? It's impossible to tell with just video.”

It seemed like a horribly one sided affair. Even as coordinated as they were, they couldn't really hurt it. Fortunately She the footage was good. Cloris nodded in approval as the image changed.

”They managed to interwoven their own vision with the security cameras. Almost completely seamlessly. I’m more impressed with them by the minute.”

Cloris raised her free hand over her mouth as the creature stabbed M. The sound of 99's anguish reververated within her. This creature was displaying a level of brutality that seemed very human. A lot of what it was doing was completely unnecessary.

”This creature… it's more like a twisted human then a Rouge AI.”

Cloris lowered her hand from her face, peering intently at the screen. She jolted forward as the screen did that weird glitch, putting her finger right up to the image of 99.

”That happened on the other footage too. That thing is doing something that I can't make out.”

Cloris noticed that the laser hit its mark. But it wasn't enough to put the creature down. She felt a chill down her spine when it spoke in M's voice.

”These things… they're enjoying it. They're taking pleasure in inflicting suffering.”

She watched the rest of the fight play out. She looked at the figure on the screen, bending forward. ”Type 99… so you're our mysterious messenger.”

When the tape cut off, she stared at it for a few seconds. Then she took out her notebook and a pen.

”I’ve got it all recorded. We’ll be able to show the others later.”

She started writing something down. She talked to Karasu as she worked.

”I find it hard to believe that J knew nothing about the other squads. Yet she didn’t mention any fatalities when she brought up her mission. Do you think she’s keeping information away from us on purpose?” Or do you think she didn’t think it was relevant?”

A couple minutes later, she finished writing and tore out the page from the notebook. She carefully put it onto the desk. ”With how well preserved this building is, there’s a chance that type 99 will come back here. If she’s still alive, then we can communicate with her discretely.”

She then put her helmet back on, looking back at Karasu. “We need to find some power converters at the tower and then make our way to the others. There’s no time to waste.”

If they were done, then Cloris would follow Karasu out. If he stopped to look at the letter, he would see this:

from the heavenS Came thY Gods. and aThena proclaimed“i shall bestow the gift of knowledge to you mortAls! here within this scrolL are the sEcrets of the universe!”

”Gyacrdtan ersw 99. uo tpdd yr ndadeh sdla. f'o rue ooroeaelt rmuooda oetrff oue mIohIyYlsecf. s osad nkte mfec Co essetWf, wnieni. itf Saau no Odhetiosson shi tmp hcfu ae ohtt aJwgCeco. eta eyrg sne hhsVt slterha vso ca elete sahToerme. ie furi cynh ren ey rca brnmorenrc cesm dmp ihbo eK yrcwsea ohqbN es noawactohta mueulD, M, J, iar i. ro hma tten layo?

I'a ot esn se kli adlmi rro mpuecig twa'oa rti or.ytmi s vctmAhong ltokryoiena ehip nend ypMmee, tfc ansnvld. mdR hly edtaiuw deieetseoo afam hlcleptct. bherm lca syaea aouuahuel fadet a tnsrrfz pletr vu ns ihchI. Tu stzFpy aiel ma ne ho d hsphl. r ewmds Gysmrilie ioee orea d wrt pyrlo dsnkt. sms rzlee he hedgft pe ryapeiereo ceaIy ao at.

I't noga ungn oIlf'n mhnm ytutlpee gotlou, oet soefh lov tfd myntrtuuun oei netri ahleehs rrtrgbC. r oond uy sh ieobpr 9, rot s mtemf Cuntrur a'a phe ma mao emghiten rpoe yc enrrasigt sdyeua ctfaa. tn tsih ec Irgn haegf athwn arega, hy igea eih a aan vnrnttl. aliwnetsl kite dIhdi fnml nhn iynrwI dihn uiiy tu.

Tsta aoecwyve aevgifri nbeg ohmfi. nsi sh pAvgu io ioea naea nuad iy sersoenk eniin ennfrl ud. t'd pri gsve pm If'k hmIteehss ds ediglraul oy niie. Iuipr eo eto rmuc eiotite Wbrran essnlt lmu orwntods. rrstmits nhu oessf-tagac ailmdet rpot te ts ecIa eiluEesfi lvratcl ar. dsie ooiah et fmur clnl re etseo neief ot ocnrdn tieyin tahede. be cTo nuao ndonhfkiIe gusmpe oo tittcamt hftnlt. g freehe ntlorls eltm e sshtst iiosds hvomw, lidga iteito dsa dwce reovsnt io eoo ehas. ha lghdgof aut ahuc idbetdo n mritri slib. sh eehh mrrit yr rcweaho ts ascawct imuotr.

Ii anb'li gfrtk nuioe, a artv yf vnallnho iteggouanle ee syeg se bptcnort. hnsvolalt ao'Ie mH eenu go shii ai pytyhf uwiu. oaros lna ef synt su weeranc pb sweiensta igii rapenfh el omd fo dhh stmonen lst oafenyoef rie dian. cdtattrs ut stn stepsisyE ee sn iomp lo oer uhp Ai rt, nsts teleaol moa epe al te hophpo. tlxtsyenms pbitu aete ielSacis weRitourhas nbcsr et lhoie tis orniot. ylei caaa 99.

Uzi stuck her tongue out at Chaos briefly before the conversation shifted over to Ray. She then turned her attention back to Ray.

”Doesn’t change the fact that your luck is terrible.”

She frowned, reaching up and poking his helmet with her finger a couple of times. ”Earth to Ray. You’re a scientist. Use your head and think instead of just charging in! Especially since we don’t have a doctor that can patch you up.”

”No, I mean he likes you. You know. Finds you attractive?”

Those words echoed in Uzi’s head. She stared at J, trying to process them. Finally she snorted.

”You’ve got to be kidding me. Hey Chaos, your girlfriend thinks that hey!

She saw Chaos start to bold away.

"Chaos, get back here and tell her she’s wrong! CHAOS!”

But he was gone in a flash. Leaving Uzi  standing there completely red faced. If J had set up to completely embarrass Uzi, then she accomplished that mission with flying colors.

Murder Drones: Disassembly Required - Page 12 Ms7Dep6

Doll gave her  girlfriend an apprehensive look. ”YA podumayu ob etom.”

["I’ll consider it.”]

In truth, it was very unlikely she would be able to fight with the murder drones side by side. But she wasn’t  going to tell LIzzy that right now. It was better that Lizzy learn certain things of her own violation. Then she’d see that they could only get so close.

Doll blinked, looking at Lizzy in surprise. Then she gave her girlfriend a little smile.

”Interesnyy. YA znayu, chto my stali boleye chelovechnymi, no ya ne dumal, chto oni nas takimi vidyat. S nim budet interesno obshchat'sya.”

[“Interesting. I know we made ourselves more human, but I didn't think they could see us that way. He'll be fun to interact with.”]

Doll smiled back, staring at her girlfriend for a few seconds. Then she  leaned in and giving her girlfriend a soft kiss on the lips. It was a gesture to seal their promises, and to continue forward together.

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    Amord
    Amord
    Remilia's Husband
    Remilia's Husband
    Ten years

Post by Amord Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:48 pm

Cloris listened to the full reasoning that the Captain had to give, before offering her own response on the matter. She had her theories about why this thing was being so secretive -- but Karasu could rule out one of them, when she had finished her explanation.

"Given the firepower that those things have, and their resilience, it could absolutely take out two Humans. The Disassembly Drones gave us an edge. If all it wanted was us dead, it could have struck at any point."

He replies, following with;
    "So it would want to find the one that's set all of this up. But it can settle for any number of things based on how this plays out."

After all, no matter if you got that one exact card in poker or not, you had to play the hand you were dealt. And something told him that this thing wasn't going to be folding... Regardless. As they were ascending the stairs, he spies another message.

"Looks like you were right though. No more traps. I'm still going to keep an eye out to be sure."

But... The rest of the trip was uneventful. When they reached the top, lights then turned on automatically, revealing scrawlings all around them on the walls. They looked twisted and nonsensical.  Save for one specific marking, and the words below it. Cloris wondered if it was related to the monster.

"Or related to something else. I certainly never saw that mark before now."

In any case, as they approached the only other thing in the room, the holographic display kicked in, scanning for biological life -- and satisfied that it had found that, it begins to reveal the secrets. Text on the central display leaving a message of apology and of their intentions with all of this.

And the fact that everything here would be deleted if they WERE followed.

"Great. Only mistake they made was not accounting for that thing holding back and watching from a distance."

He checks over his pistol again.

"Let's hope we don't run into it when we're done here."

In any case, it also directed them to look to the display on the left... And from there, a recording would begin playing....

The Drone in the top hat perks up slightly as the code name 'Serial Designation E' is delivered.

"Boss, there aren't any dogs on Copper-9!"
    She answered back with a smile.
    "Maybe there's some mechanical dogs, but I dunno if they have any screws that would need tightening."

... Yeah, she seemed like a real winner.
    It became more evident as the apparent leader of the squad signed up M for another patrol route.

"Aww! Lucky! Patrols are perfect for finding these things to play with!"

As if right on cue, one of those zombies shuffled into view -- and promptly got obliterated by a spiked ball and chain that E swung with alarming speed and accuracy.

Shortly thereafter, the atmosphere changes though. Everyone is put on edge, but E just looks around, confused. Then those mechanical footsteps are heard... Understandably, as the creature comes into view, most of them are shaken by the sight of it. Save for E, and U.

E lets out a whistle.

"That's a big toy."

Her flail is then retracted, and she produces a gun instead! Joining with the others in firing at it. But all of their rounds keep missing it, as if bending around their intended target. Before long, it closes in on one of them. It doesn't take long for things to start going that much more wrong...

One of the Drones was destroyed -- first the head was crushed, then the body was blown up by an explosion. E was caught in the draft of it, but undamaged. Her hat rattled from it, however. And as the thing takes flight and blasts even more air out from the action, it flies off of her head.

She blinks, and almost as if becoming a different person, she starts making her move -- not to join the others in the air, but instead using her arms to produce equipment that she needed. With her left hand, she's created something that resembles an antenna; maybe a signal booster?

In her right hand, she's created a computer, and then she crouches down, directing the signal booster at center mass of that beast, while staring at the computer in her right hand. In all of the chaos, she had a chance to do something unnoticed.

Text flew quickly across the screen, she was 'typing out' elaborate strings of code. Even Cloris would have difficulty keeping up with the rate of her work. But she could more than likely piece together exactly what it was for. The body of yet another squad mate crashes in front of her -- and the beast along with it. A crater is formed, but E only adjusts her aim and keeps working.

If she stops now, things are going to get a lot worse. U and 99 are buying her valuable time right now. But eventually, their squad is scattered, and 99 is trying to desperately fend it off... After using the rifle to cause huge snowdrifts, and then an impromptu trap, she calls out for E to retreat.

Right on cue, she finishes the last of the coding and confirms it. Both the signal booster and the computer then retract back into her arms, and she produces her hands again.

"That was for my squad. Let's see how you like being blinded."

Just as the beast comes into range of the cannon, it probably tried switching it's vision mode. But each attempt to do so was met with the same error:

Permissions revoked - Seek Administration

It was permanently stuck in night vision -- and as the cannon fired, releasing a blinding light, that thing gave out an anguished cry and thrashes wildly. E picks up her hat, and gives a nod to 99, soon fleeing the scene.

After this, and a little bit more footage later, it pauses and gives the Humans some time to process what they just saw.

"Whatever that thing was, it wasn't like the one that we fought on the ship. So... We should probably guess that each of these things are going to be a little bit different from each other."

Karasu comments, and then considers Cloris's following words.

"I think J might be under the impression that her squad is the only one left, after what we just saw."

The Captain then replies. And if that WAS the case, then she didn't want to bring it up because that would only cause further stress for the group. They had enough on their hands right now. Cloris, for her part, was already putting together a message for Type-99. But Karasu had a feeling this wasn't everything, just yet...

"I think they have more to show us."

Karasu remarks, and then waits to see if his suspicions are right.

Well, Chaos came around to the idea pretty fast! Already saying that he'd find someone after all this and try getting a job at JCJensen. J then smirks.

"No need, I'll hire you. But you're right, we'll take care of all that later."

... And her smirk only gets more smug as she watches him fumble over his words and fail to deny how he feels about Uzi. And the little Worker Drone had a pretty good reaction, too! She had frozen in place for a little bit trying to process it.

Then she tried to wave it off nonchalantly -- just as Chaos starts running off to... "Take care of the apartment", and nothing else. Of course. Which only makes Uzi flustered in turn. Oh yes, her mission to embarrass the two of them worked pretty well.

"Gotta say. Normally I do things more mean-spirited than this. But this is pretty fun too."

J then begins walking, stopping as she's next to Uzi.

"Told ya."

She gives a little wave, and continues on her way to the apartment to join Chaos. Soon enough, she's entered that same room.

"Okay! Let's get to work."

Ray wondered why Cyn would even bother taking the risk of giving them free will, and V calmly shakes her head.

"It's not a risk for her. She could take them apart whenever she wants. She lets them go free because then she doesn't have to direct them to do everything herself. Like I said. She gets bored of them."

Still... Ray did seem to get an idea, and he suggested that they could try running a full diagnostic to repair them back at the ship. As long as she was willing to do that, of course. V blinks at the offer. To be honest, she had never really thought about getting them back before...

He was concerned about the invasion of privacy, but V calmly waves that off with her hands.

"Oh, no. I think if it's just you seeing them, that's okay."

She replies, and falls silent as she thinks it over some more. Then she hears him manage to quietly whisper that he doesn't want to see her get hurt. Yet again the distinct sounds of her optics blinking echo out. And then she begins to blush, smiling at him.

"I'll... Be more careful too."

Still... Her mood goes back to something a little more neutral as he asks about Cyn. She looks down as she thinks about how to best describe her to him.

"No. She's a lot more than a Disassembly Drone now. I don't know how you would describe her, except for maybe 'Witch'."

V explains, and as Ray thanks her for the protection should they ever run into Cyn, she gives a nod.
    "Yeah. No problem."

Doll was understandably apprehensive... And Lizzy wasn't about to try and say that she should just discard all of her feelings or something. But right now, this might be a situation of 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'.

Regardless. There was no need to try and keep driving that point home. But they had something more fun to talk about! Namely, that Human who had a downright adorable reaction to them. Doll expresses her surprise over how he viewed them.

"Oh he absolutely will. I don't think we've teased a boy for awhile now, this time it'll be a Human!"

Lizzy already seemed to be cooking up shenanigans involving that...

"Imagine what it'll be like, showing him off. Ha, I think even my parents would get jealous!"

Still... One person that she didn't want to make jealous was Doll. So as she leans in for a kiss, Lizzy returns it. No matter how things played out with Chaos, she fully intended to stick with Doll, too.

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯

Raymu and Nothost like this post

CivilProtection
    CivilProtection
    Ten years

Post by CivilProtection Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:19 pm

I hear Uzi telling me to come back to her, but I ignored hers commands and entered the apartment. I catch my breath. "Jeez J, really had to put me on the spot..." I said to myself. I scan the apartment, taking notes of things that needs to be trashed or fixed. "Wow..." I said to myself. "I really know how to pick em" I said sarcastically, as the apartment is pretty trashed.

It mustve been a few months since the apartment had any tenants. Dust everywhere, bed unkept, and a few clothes on the floor. Whoever lived here mustve been really lazy or had a ton of work on their hands not to fix up their apartment.

Not long after, J enters the apartment. "Right J! It'll be a ton of work though. I dont even know where to start, J." I think for a sec. "Guess we gotta throw some things out then."

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯

Click Me!

Raymu likes this post

Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years

Post by Raymu Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:28 pm

After Karasu and Cloris had a moment to speak between each other the central display continued writing out a message.

"As you can see, we were accosted by a great beast and routed. I haven't seen the others in my squad since this incident. I have taken to calling this abomination "White Aberrant" because it is made from the parts of my fellow disassembly drones, but is created in a way that differs greatly from our construction. It is an aberration of ivory plasteel. I have reason to believe it is working for a higher power, however...

All because of this symbol with which it could manipulate physical objects without directly touching them."

That same symbol that was drawn on the wall appeared on the right-most holographic display. It spun around rapidly before slowing to a stop. The words continued on while the symbol danced on the other screen.

"I've taken to calling this...The Mark of the Witch. It fills my memory processors with horrible whispers whenever I witness it. Words that speak ill of "The witches". I believe...White Aberrant's main goal is seeking out these "witches". Though what a witch in this case could be escapes my limited knowledge. I've scoured this entire library's collection for answers in an effort to know more...A witch. A female practitioner of dark magic that allows her to perform rituals and feats impossible to normal humans. That is what these books have told me. But what does this mean for a world devoid of living humans? And why is White Aberrant seeking them?

I need more answers. That is why I will not be here when you receive this information. It's not just to protect myself...But to keep finding the truth. If you see my fellow squad mates...Please tell them I'm alive, but that I can't meet them right now.

I've delved into the deepest depths of my own memory...And I can feel a foreboding sense of familiarity when I look at the mark of the witch. And yet, it exists as a complete contradiction. Out of the millions of memory files logged inside of my data banks there is not one byte of information that contains a record of me ever having seen this symbol before. But why? Why then do I feel like I have a deeper connection to this mark? My attempts to search for matches bring up nothing. More concerning is that attempting to search for anything that has a geometric match is met with refusal to process due to an administrator privilege being revoked.

As for White Aberrant. If you have to face it, my advice is as follows:

1. Pray to the deity of your choice that you never have to.
    2. If you do, don't allow it to approach. It seems particularly skillful at close-range. However I have noted in my own experience that it hesitated when at a distance. It was constantly advancing on us rather than staying back. If it has access to any ranged attacks then I believe they are rudimentary and inefficient.
    3. Thanks to the efforts of my squad mate, Serial Designation E, White Aberrant is highly weak to bright lights. This weakness seems to not only stun it, but cause it pain as well. I doubt it will be the method of defeating the beast...But any advantage at all may save your life.
    4. Beware the mark of the witch.

This is where we have to part ways for now. But I will be keeping in touch with you humans. Please humans. Take the device I have placed on the desk. This message will self-update whenever I have gained more information to share with you."

The holographic screens all fell blank and silent as the message sat there motionless, allowing its contents to be observed by the humans...The device waited to be picked up by the ship's crew. It's knowledge and guidance would be kept safe by them. Once they picked it up the holographic displays would all blink out of existence, a panel on the device closing down and sealing itself up to hide the holographic projectors.

Ray listens calmly as V explains why Cyn is so confident about letting her creations run free. Despite the risk it would pose to anyone else, it seems to her they were nothing more than glorified toys. It made the engineer wonder just how cruel this 'Cyn' really was...He shook his head, sighing.

"Sheesh...What a winner. No wonder you were so hostile back there."

Still...It did make him wonder something. Something...Concerning.

"Seems like you and her have some history...Even if you don't remember it. That's the kind of familiarity you would only have if you knew someone personally."

He smiled when V mentioned being okay with digging into her memories - As long as it was just him. And yet...Somewhere in the back of his mind he couldn't help but wonder; what if those memories were something she was better off not having access to? Having memories of things you regret, people you wish you had never associated with, choices you wish you could go back and change...It was something he was intimately familiar with. He couldn't say for sure that's the kind of past V had, but there was a possibility. A concerningly high possibility. It made him hesitate in answering her for just a moment...Though when he did, Ray gave V a nod.

"Got it, I'll make sure everyone else leaves the room for that part then."

He grins at her, even despite not being visible from behind his helmet. He seemed amused by her promise to be more careful.

"I guess we'll both have to do that for each other seeing as we've already thrown ourselves right into danger several times."

Eventually the engineer stands up from the floor, brushing his suit off and closing up the life support panel.

"A witch huh...Sounds like she's found something that should have stayed buried."

Ray taps the chin of his helmet with an idle finger as his mind lingers on that line for a moment before he adds more to that:

"Kinda like whoever made this horrible life-support system."

He laughs a little at that, clearly joking.

"I guess we should go check on the other three and see how they're holding up. I need to update them on our situation anyway. Besides, maybe there's more I can be doing while we wait for those power regulators to come in."

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    More Things:
    Nothost
    Nothost
    Super Friend
    Super Friend
    Three years

Post by Nothost Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:13 pm

”Hopefully this thing doesn’t decide to ambush us after we leave the building. In which case we’ll have to get creative to survive with just the two of us here.”

Cloris stared at the mark for a good while. ”No, I don’t suppose any of us would have seen it before. I’ve certainly never seen a witch symbol like this before.”

Something that she had seen from a lifetime of reading things? Perhaps it was one of the many things she read growing up. Whatever the case, it didn’t seem that the absolute solver symbol was connected to anything she had seen before. At least in the realm of conventional supernatural.

She frowned as Karasu brought up the fact that each one was probably different. ”That begs the question, how many of these things are there? We’ve got at least 3 that are confirmed now. If there’s any more then that, and if they decide to attack us more than one at a time, then I don’t see how we’d prevail.”

Cloris cupped a hand under her cheek, considering that. ”Maybe. But then why hasn’t type 99 tried to contact the J and the others? We should at the very least gauge J’s reaction when we ask her about this.”

She paused when Karasu told her to stop, and walked back over when the recording continued. Sure enough, Type 99 had much more to say. She talked about the creatures and its known weaknesses, to the limited understanding of what a witch could be. There was a few strange things too, like being unable to meet up what remained of her squad. Of course the most important thing was getting a device that would allow for them to get updates from Type 99, assuming she was still alive. After it was done, she took the device and put it in a pocket of her suit.

”That’s a lot to take in. I want to review all this data with the others and see what they think. We should also keep a lookout for any disassembly drones that might still be alive.”

If there was nothing else there, Cloris would lead the way out of the room. If nothing was going on in the main part of the library, she would open the window and make her way out. Of course, with a monster following them, things could get very complicated very quickly.

She usually did things more mean spirited then that? Just what kind of person was J. Of course what really got to Uzi was the “Told ya.” She stared as she walked off, clenching her fists.

”Why do you sound so proud of that?! That’s not a good thing to be right about!”

Uzi huffed, crossing her arms and muttering under her breath. That’s how Ray would find her when he approached her.

Doll smiled at that. ”Proshlo mnogo vremeni, ne tak li? YA uzhe zabyl, naskol'ko eto mozhet byt' veselo.”

[“It has been awhile, hasn't it? I'd forgotten how much fun that can be.”]

Doll chuckled. ”Predstav'te vyrazheniye ikh lits, kogda vy vystavite napokaz i menya, i cheloveka.”

[“Imagine the look on their faces when you show off both me and a human.”]

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯

Raymu likes this post

Amord
    Amord
    Remilia's Husband
    Remilia's Husband
    Ten years

Post by Amord Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:40 pm

Karasu found himself nodding in agreement with Cloris, but chances were high that the beast would ambush them soon... Although there was always a chance it would just continue to observe them for now. Either way, he was certain that a confrontation with it would come soon. He only hoped that that it would be on favorable terms for them.

In any case, Type-99's message to them continues. Then the device is offered up to them, and Cloris took it with her. The holograms then powered down, and that left Karasu and Cloris with the chance to continue their conversation.

"It's possible that they aren't intended to work together, but are instead left to their own devices... More or less."

Karasu replies -- and more importantly there was the question about why Type-99 wouldn't try to contact J or any of the others. He shrugs at that.

"I think she already answered your question, Cloris. She's obsessed with finding this 'truth', to the point that she didn't even care about meeting us, or making sure that we're safe."

In any case, now that it seems their task here was finished, they began making their way outside, retracing their safe passage in the process. As they begin to exit, Karasu carefully scans their surroundings and keeps his pistol ready.

"Let's go pick up what the others needed and meet up with them. I don't like being in the open like this."

J simply chuckles at Uzi's response.

"It is a fantastic thing to be right about!"

In any case, the twin-tailed Disassembly Drone didn't expect such a huge mess when she stepped into the apartment. This place needed some SERIOUS cleaning and renovation.

"Yeah... I think we gotta get rid of the trash first."

She voiced her agreement with this thoughts on where to start, and she began collecting the clothes from the floor. She was pretty sure no one would be interested in wearing these, though with some deep-cleaning, they might be usable...

J mulls that thought over as she briefly examines each article of clothing that she snatches up.

"Hm. I don't know if any of these are even the right size for any of you..."

Well, they probably had plenty of clothes back at the ship, in any case...

Ray was pretty much right on the money with his assessment; given her feelings and what she was describing, it was clear that V had some previous history with Cyn and it did not end well. Even though she couldn't remember all the details herself, that seemed like a very accurate way to put it.

"Yeah. I feel like I've still known her for years, even though I can't call up all the specifics."

She could tell that he was worried about her, and while some part of her found that a little strange -- she also kind of liked it. She was so used to taking care of herself and handling every little thing that having someone that genuinely cared was something she wasn't to used to. Sure, N was always there. But she also kind of wanted to preserve the innocence that N still had.

"I appreciate that. But, you know. If anyone else is going to make it safer, that's okay."
    V replies, hoping to make this a little less stressful for him.

Shortly afterwards, he remarks about how they'd probably have to watch after each other, since both of them have made the frequent mistake of putting themselves in danger. She can't help but smile at that.

"I think you might be right about that. But that doesn't sound so bad, either."

V then stands up as well, and briefly dusts herself off in the same way that Ray did. He then begins to wonder aloud about this 'witch', and then cracked a joke about how it probably should have stayed buried like the horrible life support system.

V blinks, but then giggles softly.

"You goof."

She replies, and then walks alongside him as he decides to check up on the others and help them out. V reaches her hand towards his, though she does hesitate just a bit. Sure, she was plenty forward with him...

But she was also more free to be herself when they were alone like this. It felt like a big step for her to be openly like this in front of everyone else. At least, beyond the whole dominant 'I'm at the top' position she earlier gave in terms of relationships.

Lizzy couldn't help but find herself enjoying this idea more and more as Doll seemed to be finally giving herself over to having a bit of fun.

"Right? I still remember the time that geek went totally head over heels for you, and all you had to do was get a little close to him and put your hand on the wall."

Lizzy began to think back on that moment.
    "Oh jeez, which one was that again? They were a blushing mess the entire time, I could swear they basically ran home as soon as they could. Probably for something really personal."

The blonde tried to piece that together. Come to think of it, was it even a boy? Hmm. Emily kind of blushed a lot... And Doll clearly didn't mind getting with a girl, current situation serving as evidence.

Well, in typical Lizzy fashion, she shows how much it doesn't matter in the end.

"Well, either way it was hilarious. We barely have to do anything and they'll basically throw themselves at us!"

After having said that, Doll then replies with a very interesting idea... Yeah, walking into school with a lover on each arm -- a rare, exotic Human, and the hottest girl right up there with herself!

Lizzy can't help but giggle at that.

"Oh my gosh. I think some of them would be beyond jealous, Doll!"

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯

Raymu likes this post

CivilProtection
    CivilProtection
    Ten years

Post by CivilProtection Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:49 pm

I took a few glances at J's body as we cleaned. I couldnt help but admire hers body, but when she looks back at me I quickly focus on cleaning the room.

While helping J cleaning up the room, she mentions that most of the clothes wont fit me. "Yeah, probably not. Although with the amount of clothes, maybe this drone collected human clothing or something. Or perhaps was a salesman of some sorts. I have another set of clothes on the ship, if that helps" After a while, we can only find another set of clothes that would fit me. "Its not much, but it'll do. Thanks J for helping"

"I think whats left is repairs, but that shouldnt be that hard hopefully."

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯

Click Me!

Raymu likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:40 am