Magical gamers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Magical gamers

A forum for games, stories and much more!

FPS and Controllers:

Amord
    Amord
    Remilia's Husband
    Remilia's Husband
    Ten years
    You've been a pillar for an entire decade!

FPS and Controllers: Empty FPS and Controllers:

Post by Amord Thu May 14, 2015 6:14 pm

Skip to about 17:55. FPS and Controllers: 962864578

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    Aut viam ivenium aut faciam | I shall either find a way or make one
    Amord
    Amord
    Remilia's Husband
    Remilia's Husband
    Ten years
    You've been a pillar for an entire decade!

FPS and Controllers: Empty Re: FPS and Controllers:

Post by Amord Thu May 14, 2015 6:28 pm

"The Port I'm using allows full mouse control like you'd expect from a modern game.

For first-person shooters, I need this.

In the early days, your options for aiming in an FPS were usually the keyboard, and it sucked.

Sometimes you have a wonky joystick or mouse solution, but they usually sucked, too.

A lot of games had some level of auto-aiming because the Developers knew it was always a partial disaster to aim with the friggin' keyboard.

I'd say it wasn't until about '98 where mouse aiming as we know it today became mainstream for first-person shooters.

Before that happened, I used to think I didn't really like first-person shooters, because it doesn't matter how good a game is, if the controls feel like you're steering with your elbows, it can ruin almost any game.

In fact I never beat Strife until years afterwards, once I was able to finally aim with a mouse.

For people out there who play first-person shooters with a gamepad, I don't know how you do it. For me, that's almost as bad as keyboard aiming.

First-person shooters originated on the PC, but they later got ported and even developed for consoles that only had a gamepad to use. And gamepads were designed for platformers or 2D games first and foremost.

I used to think that really sucked for console players, because their options were to play a first-person shooter with a crappy control scheme, or don't play the game at all. What kind of choice is that? It felt like a step backwards.

I thought as the popularity of first-person shooters increased, consoles would come up with a better control scheme for these types of games, but, besides some debatable exceptions, that just hasn't happened.

If you had told me fifteen years ago that not only would gamepad aiming be dominating first-person shooters, but many of them would be DESIGNED for the gamepad (Borderlands) and not even CONSIDER a mouse until after the fact (Bulletstorm), I would say that's insane, but here we are!"

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    Aut viam ivenium aut faciam | I shall either find a way or make one

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:07 am