Magical gamers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Magical gamers

A forum for games, stories and much more!

Abyssal Nest

Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years
    You've been a pillar for an entire decade!

Abyssal Nest Empty Abyssal Nest

Post by Raymu Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:28 pm

It keeps playing in my mind, like a record on repeat. Every time I close my eyes I go back to that place. ... That...Mission. It was supposed to be something so straight forward. Retrieving a rumored weapon from a paramilitary group known as "Chernobog". It was supposed to be. But somewhere...Things went wrong. Somewhere I made a mistake.

A black airship flies over a dense forest below, a map in the cockpit marks the location as Southwestern Mistral. A region that's relatively untouched. The destination? A ruined ancient palace that rises above the treeline, a majestic fortress of sand-colored stones threatening to collapse under its own weight. The cabin of the airship is full of people all geared up and looking as though they were ready for a decisive battle...A woman with long black hair stands up, looking among the passengers.

Abyssal Nest Futureblake2

Blake Belladonna, the leader of the Black Ribbon mercenaries. She looked far more mature than she did during her time in RWBY, she looked more sure of herself, more confident. She had learned who she really was years ago. She spoke up calmly, detailing the plan that was to follow.

"This is it everyone. The mission we've been preparing for. As I'm sure you're all already aware, a year ago we received information that Chernobog had acquired an experimental weapon called an "Emotion Bomb". We still don't know what it really is, we never saw a single one back then...But we've finally caught up to them and their weapon. I don't think I need to tell anyone here that if they're bringing it out into the open then they probably plan to use it. That's why we've brought along the best bomb difusal expert in our ranks. There's no one I trust more with disabling experimental weapons than Marcus Alloy."

Abyssal Nest Engineer

Blake points to a man wearing a helmet with a black tinted front. The man gives her a simple nod of acknowledgement before allowing her to resume her speech. The rest of the passengers look to him for only a moment before returning their focus on Blake.

"But that's exactly why I want Marcus to stay onboard the ship. There's no telling what we're up against, and if something happens to him before we can reach this..."Emotion bomb" then we run the risk of being in a no-win scenario. Jasper Braun, you're staying with him and the pilot to guard the ship. I need you to stay focused and alert in case Chernobog tries to take out our only means of escape. I can't afford to lose any of you. And...That's why I'm counting on you."

Abyssal Nest Gorou_Portrait

Jasper gives the woman an ever-confident smile, standing up and saluting her. Of course...That is moments before brief turbulence almost causes him to face plant the wall behind the passengers sitting across from him.

"W-Whoa! Hah! You can count on me ma'am! I won't let a single bullet near the ship! Marcus won't even know when the fighting starts if I have a say in it!"

Blake gives him a small smile, motioning for him to sit back down, a request he quickly complies with, lounging in his seat as he sits. From there Blake looks to two other passengers, a bulky man hidden beneath armor, and a timid-looking faunus girl who almost looks like she doesn't belong here.

"Brick, Cherry, you're joining me in the field. I want Brick to be our vanguard, and Cherry, I'm counting on you to use your staff to provide assistance to him. With his guard and your boosting power, we should be able to rush straight through their defenses and take the shortest possible route to that bomb. We know it's in the middle of those ruins...We just have to reach it. Brick, you and I know both know Cherry is a rookie."

Abyssal Nest Brick

The man known as Brick speaks up, cutting her off before she can voice her concern. His own voice is calm and undisturbed. It displays a tone of confidence without being cocky.

"I won't let any harm come to her. I've been doing this since you were a teenager, you can trust me."

He places a reassuring hand on Cherry's shoulder, it was the firm grip of an experienced veteran, one that the poor girl likely needed as she was shaking sitting in her seat. She practically jumps as soon as his hand grips her shoulder.

Abyssal Nest Electro

"Eep-! Um...Sorry Brick, I trust you! I guess I just wasn't expecting to be brought along on such an important mission so soon! I just started a month ago...Misses Belladonna, do you really think I'm the right pick for this?"

Blake smiled at her, giving her a reassuring nod. The woman spoke up with a tone that wasn't so different from Brick's.

"I chose you because I believe you have exactly what we need to do this without suffering any serious harm. Your semblance and weapon are perfect for protecting us in the field. You won't have to do any fighting, so all I need from you is that you focus on keeping your aura going as long as you can. Cherry, you've got this. This whole mission's success is something we're all going to reach as a team."

With that, there was only one passenger left. Blake's son, Nero Belladonna. She turned to him, speaking up calmly. She addressed him like a leader addressing a member of their team, not like a mother speaking to her son. To some it might have seemed cold, but to the Belladonnas it was business. They could speak as a family off the job after all.

"Nero, you're coming out into the field too, but I want you to split off from the group. Find an ideal vantage point without letting anyone see you, somewhere that gives you the clearest view of the ruins. I need you to act both as a lookout to communicate what's ahead of us, and as a sniper that can take out anyone that could ambush us. This isn't anything new for you, so I know you can handle it just fine. It's going to be routine as always."

Nero gave his mother a calm, quiet nod. Nothing else needed to be said. He was going to do the job he most often did, staying at a distance and picking off any troublesome enemies. He was in the least risky position in this entire mission after all. Not in the ship flying in the air, nor rushing through the ruins on the front lines. Ironically some might have seen his job as unfair considering how much safer it was than anyone else's roles here. But he was the only one that could really reach an ideal vantage point without being seen. From a far enough distance his chameleon genetics would render him completely invisible to almost anyone.

Abyssal Nest Ruined_Palace

Within a few short moments the ruins came into view amidst the deep forest that surrounded it. The ship flew in above a clearing that was a mile away from the palace ruins. No one on board doubted that the ones guarding those ruins saw and heard their vehicle arriving. - Everyone was prepared for a fight. Blake stepped over to the hatch, motioning for Brick, Cherry, and Nero to join her. She glanced back at the pilot and gave him one last instruction.

"I want you to get a safe distance away, but don't land. Keep the ship running, we're going to be making a hot retreat from this place. Don't worry about fuel; we only need ten minutes."

A bold claim...But one the pilot acknowledged with a thumbs up. It seems that despite the difficulty of something like that, he not only believed her but was confident there was no chance of them failing to meet that time. The ship hovered five feet off of the ground within the nearby clearing as all four mercenaries took their positions at the exit. With a hiss the hatch slowly lowered open, revealing the forest floor ahead of them. As Nero approached the exit behind the other three, he was stopped by Jasper who placed a calm hand on his shoulder, turning around to meet the dog faunus.

"Hey, Nero...You better make it out of this in one piece, got it? I'll have a lot of choice words for you if you don't!"

He smiled, pulling Nero into a close embrace. Nero hesitated for a moment, surprised to be hugged so quickly, but finally moved his arms behind Jasper's back, smiling. He stood in silence for only a second before speaking a single word.

"...Yeah."

The caracal faunus placed his forehead against Jasper's, smiling at him before letting go and turning back to the exit of the ship... Blake raised a hand, motioning for them to wait a short second...And then she waved her hand forward, and the team hopped out, each one landing in their own way. With the bomb extraction team safely landed the ship quickly lifted off and flew out of sight beyond the sea of trees.

"You know the plan everyone, let's move! We have ten minutes!"

The Extraction team made their way through the clearing until they arrived at a wall of vegetation, Brick led the way, using his shield to push through brush and vines until they arrived at the second clearing - The one which the ruins rested in. However, the four of them waited behind trees before they stepped out into the field. The moment they did they would be under attack, that much was never in doubt. Blake raised a hand, slowly counting down her fingers from five to one...And then with the last finger counted the cat faunus gave the team a nod. Blake, Brick, and Cherry raced out into the open with the shielded mercenary leading the way. His towering shield was raised as bolts of energy began to fire from several points on the ruins. Dirt was kicked up around them as they raced towards the fallen palace, several struck Brick's shield, some even struck him directly...But thanks to Cherry's semblance, his aura held strong against the energy blasts, never once threatening to knock him down.

Cherry was visibly panicked as they raced, practically clinging to the large man's back as they ran for the nearest cover several yards away. Underneath the hail of gunfire she could be heard shouting.

"Happy thoughts! Happy thoughts!! Have to keep thinking happy thoughts!!! Aaaahhhh!!!!"

... And then the second half of this plan was initiated. With Chernobog's focus entirely on the advancing squad, a cloaked, almost invisible faunus stepped out from behind the underbrush. Nero had been forgotten by the enemy, exactly as the team planned. He quickly made his way over to the palace's eastern tower, completely uncontested by the many soldiers that were hiding inside. With his chameleon cloaking working flawless, he slipped into the tower unnoticed by the few guards stationed there and climbed up until he reached the tower's top. The faunus squinted as he observed the palace from the highest room in the tower...

... And realized he could get an even better vantage point if he applied himself a little. Without hesitation Nero climbed out of the tower window and onto its slightly sloped roof. With just a few moments of preparation he was able to dig himself into the roof tiles safely and set up his bow. Rhizophora was now trained on the palace's outer walls as he watched the enemy mercenaries stationed on it firing at his team. Nero reached up and activated a communication device fitted to his ear, speaking with Blake on the other end.

"I'm in place, you can continue now."

Meanwhile the advancing team had arrived at the closest wall to the palace, ducking behind it for cover as multiple rounds of energy impacted it, sending dust and debris flying everywhere. Blake held a hand to her ear, giving a nod as she received the message. It was time to enter the ruins for real...The faunus woman took a deep breath...And then gave the other two a thumbs up to signal the green light to move in. In a flash the trio were up and moving once more! The same plan as before was being used here to keep them from being struck by anything serious.

"Black Ribbon on us, look sharp!"

Abyssal Nest Chernorifle

Enemy Mercs in pure black armor...This was the lifeblood of Chernobog. Armor that put even the most average fighter on par with someone who had access to aura. Their gear was as impressive as their numbers, and with the infiltration team now in close range the Cherno soldiers began rushing in, clearly aware their gunfire was simply bouncing off of the shield in front of them. A soldier ran forward and rolled to the side in an attempt to flank Brick... Only for the towering man to swing his shield in a wide arc, striking the soldier directly in the head and knocking him out in a single hit. All the while Cherry's semblance kept him safe from the gunfire he had opened himself up to until he was able to safely bring the shield back to his front. Each time a soldier attempted to flank this process was repeated.

Up until the Chernobog operatives began to make a retreat, hoping to regroup and create a better defense...However, retreating was an even worse option, each merc that turned his back on Brick was met with a painful shield bash powered by aura. To anyone ahead of this warpath it looked like a steamroller blowing through as chernobog units were thrown wildly around them, knocked unconscious at best and heavily injured at worst.

"They're moving in too fast, we need heavier support here! Set up the shield division on the middle layer now!!"

Up ahead of the path the exact thing the soldiers had been calling for stepped into sight and was fully set up in seconds...

Abyssal Nest Chernoshield

The shield units had arrived, far more bulky than the regular mercenaries, these Chernobog operatives stood as tall as Brick, with shields of their own. Shields that could send out shockwaves of energy upon striking something. They were a formidable force that was only brought out when absolutely necessary. Even the mighty Brick would be challenged by them...And that is why Nero separated from the rest of the team for this mission: the very moment he had prepared for arrived. The caracal faunus stood tall on the tower roof, nocking a special blue arrow into Rhizophora...He pulled the string back and let it fly.

"These bastards don't stand a chance against our shield! Stand strong!"

A whistling sound was suddenly carried on the wind...And then the arrow struck the cracked stone floor beneath the feet of the Cherno Shielders. Before they could even react a tidal wave of water appeared from the unique arrow, forcing all of them off of their feet and sending them scattering; some fell over the sides of the palace, some struck walls and were instantly knocked out, others were knocked onto their backs. The two that managed to weather the ambush were now being pincered between an opposing shield and a distant unseen archer. One rushed at Brick, their shields colliding with a metallic clang. The shockwave burst forth from the enemy shield almost pushed him over, but with Cherry in support he was able to stand strong... The second hesitated for a moment as he tried to make sense of the combat before finally resolving to join his ally.

... Unfortunately for him a second arrow was carried on the wind, one with a bright yellow head. It struck the second shielder in the back, electrocuting him and incapacitating him.

"Yaarghhhhh...!"

The sound of his pained yell was enough to draw his ally's attention for only a split second - But a split second was long enough. As the Chernobog shielder turned his attention back to brick he was just in time to see the bottom of the towering man's shield meet his face with an echoing "thunk". It was over. He fell to the floor defeated. Blake let out a sigh of relief, glad that the expected resistance was being met with equal power so far...

"Let's double time it. They're going to go all out against us now that we've taken down their strongest line of defense. I just hope their countermeasure isn't detonating that bomb..."

Meanwhile back at the tower...Nero lowered his bow slowly, content with the damage he had done. Although the design of the palace meant his team was now moving out of his line of sight...If he was going to keep supporting them then he had to move to the west tower. The climb back down was uneventful. The foolish Cherno agents that were sent to guard it had no idea he was even ever there. The two arrows he had unleashed were completely silent, their effects on the front lines of battle assumed caused by the team that was rushing in. Nero managed to get safely away from the east tower...And then his ear twitched.

"Hm-?!"

The archer faunus narrowly managed to duck just as unseen force slashed out with a blade sharp enough to decapitate a beast with one strike. The tree that was behind him had been cleanly cut and fell down. Somehow, Nero's hidden ambush had been noticed by someone...And then another powerful blade slash struck out at him, the only warning being the sound of the air shifting as it moved. If not for his greater hearing it would have killed him the first time, to say nothing of the second attack and yet somehow his enemy wasn't there, as if he was being assaulted by a phantom. Thinking as quickly as he could, Nero rolled under a third attack, the faunus stopped on his knees and dipped his hands into a puddle of water.

"You can't hide from me."

The caracal threw his hands open, splashing the water everywhere in a fan pattern in front of him. Unsurprisingly to Nero, the water stopped in midair, seemingly caught on something...Something that soon decloaked with a mechanical hum.

Abyssal Nest Chernoassassin

"I warned them you'd be able to figure it out. Well, it's fine after all. It's not like seeing me changes anything. I'm still going to kill you here and now."

The third of Chernobog's operative units; The Assassin...A unit that hadn't made their appearance one year ago, a unit that clearly from this encounter had the ability to turn invisible; likely through a process much like a chameleon. This woman was definitely operating alone, she didn't turn her focus on anything other than Nero himself. The faunus took on a fighting stance as he stood up...And then he transformed his bow into twin blades. The assassin clapped, laughing at him.

"That's definitely new! They didn't have any info on you using swords. Lucky for you I like a man that can surprise me. Let's dance!"

The assassin rushed Nero without a moment's notice. She was fast like a bolt of lightning, but he had trained for something like this. He raised both of his blades in time to block her sword with a metallic clang that echoed through the forest. She rushed from all sides, turning invisible after each strike so as to make predicting her next attack all he could do. She was forcing him to block all around him. If not for carrying two swords he wouldn't have been able to keep up with her speed. The assassin laughed as she remained on the offensive in this fight, an opening impossible to find...

"What's the matter? Already giving up? How disappointing! I was hoping you'd last a lot longer! Ahahaha!"

If he didn't make an opening soon, he'd definitely be killed at this rate...! The faunus took a deep breath...And focused on his hearing. The sounds of the deep forest fell away as he focused only on what was immediately around him...And that's when he heard the assassin's footsteps! Nero's eyes shot open!

"... There!!"

Nero threw his swords into the air, turned to face the woman just as she uncloaked...And grabbed her blade with his right hand before she could even swing it. The assassin gasped in shock as Nero's left arm reeled back...And then he swung it full force right into her stomach! The impact knocked her backwards as she clutched her stomach, gasping for air.

"Y...You...!!"

She couldn't even finish that sentence before Nero grabbed his falling swords and gave the woman a combo of three slashes with his swords, causing her to yell out in anger. He finished by spinning his right blade around and striking her in the stomach with the hilt, knocking her away moments before she cloaked once more.

"You punched me! Bastard, that was a cheap shot!!"

Nero listened for her voice, his face was stoic...But on the inside he was smirking. He only gave her a simple response.

"Finally changed your tone. It was getting annoying."

The grass was crushed behind him...! Nero turned to face his opponent only to find her uncloaked and already moving too fast for him to stop her. Rather than slash at him with her sword however, the assassin opened up her legs, latching onto his head and trapping him there between her thighs. Nero desperately grabbed at her legs, trying to pull them away from his face as she slowly choked him.

"Mmghhhh...! MFGHHH!!!"

"Awww, what's the matter? Cat got your tongue? I'll teach you to make a mockery of me!!"

The woman flipped backwards onto her hands, his head still lodged firmly between her thighs as she used her momentum to swing him into the air and at the apex of the swing she released him. He could finally take in a breath of air, but it was too lately to stop himself as he flew right towards a tree, colliding with it. Nero stood slowly, rubbing his head and baring his teeth.

"You're going to complain when I fight dirty but you do something like THAT? ... I can't stand hypocrites."

The assassin's laugh echoed through the forest as she had vanished yet again... And wasted no time reappearing, her blade striking against his. Nero wasn't going to let her get away this time however! He brought his second blade up and locked her sword in between them. She struggled for a moment, giving him the exact opening he needed! Nero struck out by kicking at her! The assassin abandoned her blade to avoid his kick and gave him what he was looking for. He wasted little time striking out with a flurry of sword slashes! She screamed out and disappeared before he could continue the punishment.

She was gone...But he already knew how to handle this tactic of hers. Nero listened as he calmed his breathing...He heard a sound from in front of him! A direct frontal assault?! The faunus prepared to strike in front of him! But just as he prepared to attack he suddenly felt a heavy pressure against his neck...Nero instinctively dropped his swords and reached up to grab whatever unseen force was slowly choking him. He couldn't see her but he was sure she was now relying on her invisibility to choke him to death. The caracal desperately grabbed at the assassin's arm in an attempt to pry himself free. Despite his best efforts however, she held on tightly, whispering into his ear in a deadly sultry tone of voice that dripped like honey laced with poison.

"Mother warned me about men like you...But I do like it when they get rough! Aww...But it's just too bad this is all over now. If only you could have realized...But don't feel bad! It wasn't like you made a mistake! You were perfect...But a little bird just happened to tell me allll about you, and that little bird told me you'd be right here, exactly where I found you. Hmhmhm...It's almost too bad, I was starting to really have fun. With my heat vision visor I was able to put you at a disadvantage against your own skill! Isn't that incredible? Well...I'm sure it's a little embarrassing, but don't worry, you won't have to feel embarrassed for much longer."

With prying himself free failing, Nero now tried to reach for the weapons he had dropped...But they were too far away for him to grab. Whatever this woman had done to take hold of him, it was somehow keeping him from crouching down as well. There was only one last thing he could do...There was a chance it could fail entirely, or do more damage to himself than her, but it was a risk he had to take. Nero reached back into his quiver of arrows as his vision started becoming blurry...He dug through until he was able to take hold of an arrow shaft. - He had used them thousands of times before, he knew exactly what an arrow felt like in his hand. With little time left before he fell unconscious pulled the arrow from his quiver and jabbed the woman in the stomach with the arrowhead. The sudden burst of electricity that shot through her entire body told him he had found an electric arrow...And it was confirmed when the current shot through him as well, electrocuting them both.

"Yaaaghhhhh!!!"

"Ghhnn...!"

Nero grit his teeth until blood started to seep from his gums, he fought his own body as his muscles convulsed under the course of electricity surging through him...Despite everything he forced himself to move, and pulled himself free of the assassin's chokehold. The surge had short-circuited her cloaking device and she slowly became visible once more as she staggered backwards, stunned by the arrow still protruding from her chest. Nero recovered just in time as she was still in a daze.

"You were good...You almost won, you had me fighting for my life the entire time... But your biggest flaw was that you couldn't ever take this seriously."

Nero quickly reassembled Rhizophora and nocked an arrow against the bowstring.

"Too bad for you, I never kiss and tell."

Nero leapt forward, planting his feet firmly against the assassin's knee. He pushed off of her leg, flipping backwards through the air as the impact forced her onto her knees. Nero drew back the arrow and let go of the bow's string. The arrow flew forward with unrelenting speed...And met its mark as it pierced through the assassin's face mask. As the faunus landed, the woman slumpt over lifelessly.

With a sharp exhale Nero fell backwards, desperately catching his breath as the adrenaline from that battle coursed through him. He couldn't relax for long however...The assassin's words began to play themselves over and over again in his head.

"But don't feel bad! It wasn't like you made a mistake! You were perfect...But a little bird just happened to tell me allll about you, and that little bird told me you'd be right here, exactly where I found you."

... Someone inside Black Ribbon told them everything. Chernobog knew they were coming all along, they knew exactly what was going to go down and worse, if that woman knew where Nero was at in a plan that had been devised only a few moments ago...Nero's eyes went wide as he pieced it all together. The faunus forced himself to stand up despite the pain in his body and he ran for the palace. If he didn't get there in time something very bad was going to happen...

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    Abyssal Nest TowersignatureBorderSmaller
    More Things:
    Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years
    You've been a pillar for an entire decade!

Abyssal Nest Empty Re: Abyssal Nest

Post by Raymu Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:33 pm

The inner sanctum of the palace ruins...A massive room that sat shrouded in complete darkness. A single red light that blinked slowly on and off sat in the middle of the room...The massive double doors that led into the room began to quake as a loud crash against it rang out, the doors almost giving in but sliding back into place. Another crash, this time the doors were stuck a little more open as light seeped in through the crack in the entrance...

And with one final charge, Brick bashed the doors off of their hinges, knocking them to the floor with a loud bang and flooding the ancient room with light. The towering man stood tall as he peered into the room, searching for the emotion bomb as the dust settled. That ominous red light stopped blinking and stayed completely lit as the object it belonged to was shrouded in a cloud of dust. Brick waved to the other two as he looked back outside the room.

"I've found the experimental weapon! Moving to retrieve-"

A massive blast of energy fired off towards the Black Ribbon mercenary. It was moving too fast for him to raise his shield so he instead chose to raise his arms up as quickly as he could! The energy bolt impacted against him directly as an explosion echoed throughout the palace, shaking its entire foundation. Brick was sent flying and blasted straight through the wall near the door. As he crash landed against the floor he rolled to a stop on one knee. Miraculously he stood back up, readying his shield as though he hadn't taken a direct hit from pure energy. His two teammates watched as a strange stone texture seemed to fade from his body.

"Looks like we have one more enemy. I'll take care of this."

The dust finally cleared...The red light's source and thus the object it belonged to came into view as it was bathed in unobstructed light.

Abyssal Nest Railcannon_Drone

"Hostiles detected, neutralization mode activated."

Brick rushed in as the android's rail cannon charged up with a loud hum, it fired off a shot hoping to stop his advance, but the man simply raised his shield and swung it in a wide arc as the bolt collided, the resulting impact rather impressively deflected the energy beam, sending it flying off and colliding with the ceiling instead of its intended target. Blake and Cherry hid behind the wall next to the man-sized hole that had been created moments ago. Cherry was clutching her staff tightly and hoping the next deflected bolt wouldn't hit them, but Blake...

Blake was observing the android as it focused its attention on Brick. There had to be some easy part of this thing that would let them take it down fast. Manufacturers of robotics couldn't afford to hide every critical component after all, and those double shields were suspect...She glanced all around as Brick continued to rush forward, deflecting every shot the war machine fired. It was beginning to back up when the faunus woman spotted it...She called out to the advancing mercenary!

"Brick!! The red sensor below the cannon! I think that's its weak point!! Try hitting it!"

Brick acknowledged his leader's advice without looking in her direction, as he finally closed the distance between himself and the android, he drew a large pistol with his free hand and aimed it straight at the red light that was open. He fired off a shot only to watch as the android quickly moved one of its two shields to block the shot!

"No good, this machine's ready to block at a moment's notice."

The mercenary holstered his pistol and grabbed the shield with both hands as he began to strike out at the android with it. In response to his attacks the android moved to strike back by punching with both of its own shields. Metal struck metal as countless metallic impacts echoed through the room. Blake furrowed her brow as she realized this wasn't a fight that could be won unless they all jumped in to help. She grabbed Cherry's shoulder, causing the poor rookie to jump in surprise.

"Eeh-?!"

Blake raised a finger to shush her silently and then began to speak calmly.

"Brick can't do this by himself, we have to get in there and get that machine to stop blocking, even if it's only for a second, if we can get him an opening I think we can finish this fight...Do you think you can help me? I don't know where Nero is, and I don't think he can get here in time so it has to be us."

Cherry gave her leader a terrified look as she realized what diving into the thick of combat meant. At any moment that android could turn its rail cannon on her and put her life in danger...But if she didn't do anything, Brick could die...If she didn't act it would be her fault! The younger faunus swallowed hard as she finally gave Blake a nod.

"Good...You're going to be okay, just follow my lead. Our weapons are going to give him an opening. On my mark we're going to rush in. You're going to run for the robot's left, and I'm going to go for the right. Ready?"

Both of them stood up, moving closer to the entry way. To avoid the risk of them getting caught up on each other Blake motioned for Cherry to take the doorway while she would rush in through the collapsed wall. The younger faunus watched her leader as Blake pulled out a dust grenade...She then called out to her ally on the frontlines of the battle.

"Brick, back up, we're coming in!"

The man acknowledged her and hopped backwards, raising his shield in case the android chose to fire another shot at him. Blake threw the grenade into the room, it bounced a few times before rolling to a stop at the machine's feet and then...! It popped, releasing steam that served to cloud its vision.

"Now!!"

Blake and Cherry ran in without a moment of hesitation. The plan was executed perfectly as they both went to their respective sides of the robot, the war machine calling out as they did so.

"Error, sensor array compromised. Error, error!"

Blake drew her weapon and used the attached ribbon to wrap it around the right shield. Once she was sure it was wrapped tightly Blake pulled as hard she could, digging her feet into the stone floor beneath them. Meanwhile Cherry was able to watch Blake and quickly figured out what she needed to do. The cable on her staff was swung wildly and thrown until the hook on the end caught on the blades jutting from the bottom of the android's left shield. The faunus mercenary proceeded to follow Blake's lead, pulling as hard as she could to keep the shield from being able to move freely.

"Error! Shield servos compromised!"

The steam from the grenade faded to reveal the faunus's gambit had worked, the android desperately shuddered as it tried to wrest control of its shields back from the two operatives that had caught it up.

"Brick now!!"

Brick drew his pistol once more, aiming it quickly...But before he could pull the trigger, the android's cannon fired off a bolt of energy, hitting Brick and sending him rolling back. His pistol fell to the floor and slid away as he did so. Blake's grip was loosening as her eyes widened...Their window of opportunity was about to close...

"I won't let you have your way!!"

Nero's voice rang out, echoing through the room as he suddenly leapt in through a hole in the roof. He drew an arrow back on his bow as the tip of the arrow glowed a bright blue color...It was a hard light arrow ready to strike. As he fell into exactly the right position to meet his mark, Nero let go of the arrow, watching as it flew through the air straight for the android's weak point. Time felt slower as the arrow met its destination perfectly, not only piercing through the glowing red sensor - But traveling straight through and impacting the floor beneath the android.

"Error! E-Errrrororor! E-e-e-e-eerror..."

Nero landed rather unceremoniously, rolling to a stop as the android fell over and stopped running entirely. The other three stared on in surprise before Blake finally broke the silence.

"Nero! You were supposed to be at the western tower by now! I...Guess I should be glad you weren't. This fight would have dragged on a lot longer if you didn't show up when you did."

Cherry stared at the wreckage of the android with wide eyes. She couldn't believe it.

"We're-...We're alive!! We did it! I didn't think we would but we won!! Yahoo!!!"

Brick stood up, dusting himself off as he surveyed the room. He hated to interrupt the celebration but he spoke up, pointing out something they may have otherwise missed.

"That's great, but I don't see the weapon we came here to retrieve."

All the smiles in the room faded as it sank in...This palace's inner sanctum was completely empty save for the lone android they had just defeated. There was no bomb, not even a single object that could resemble one.

"I have a bad feeling about this, close in now."

The other three mercenaries wasted no time forming up next to Blake and preparing their weapons. All four members of the team scanned the room cautiously until Blake suddenly received a communication. She raised a hand to her ear, listening in. It was from Marcus.

"Captain, we had an issue onboard the ship. Seems like someone planted a bug in the cabin, they were listening in on our mission briefing...Don't worry about it now, I took care of the problem. But I think it would be wise if you hurried back to the meeting point as soon as possible. I think-"

Nero felt his fears ease up slightly. If it really was just a bug then maybe what he thought wasn't the case at all...Maybe Jasper was safe. He wanted to put more thought into it, but all four members of the team were stopped dead in their tracks as a clicking sound echoed from the fallen drone. Needless to say, everyone's attention was drawn onto it as a hatch opened in the back and something soon rolled out. The second this strange object appeared, Blake interrupted Marcus.

"Hold that thought. I think we just found what we were looking for. Get ready for retrieval."

The team began to approach...When suddenly the round black sphere opened up, revealing a panel inside with an lcd display. This was definitely the emotion bomb they were looking for...But why did it open up? Why-

The bomb began to emit a high pitched screeching noise. The pain on the entire team's ears was immediate as each of them clutched their heads in surprise. The constant tone that emitted at absurdly high decibels was starting to make them feel dizzy.

"What the hell is it doing?!"

As if answering Blake's question the screen inside the bomb lit up with numbers that were rapidly counting down from 30. The bomb was being armed. It was going to go off if they didn't stop it, but...How? There was no one there to arm it. It shouldn't have started going like this.

"It's...It's okay! I think I can stop it with my semblance! Don't worry, you can count on me!!"

Cherry raced over to the bomb getting on her knees and pressing her hands firmly against the sides. The faunus squinted her eyes and began to chant loudly. The high pitched noise being emitted was painful but this was her chance to prove herself!

"Sad thoughts! I have to think sad thoughts! Really awful depressing thoughts!"

... Despite her effort the bomb was still rapidly counting down. Despite the fact that Cherry's aura glowed brightly, the numbers had hit ten seconds and were still dropping. Five...Four...Three...Blake reached a hand out towards the girl and began to race towards her, but it was too late.

"No!! GET AWAY FROM IT!!!"

Two...One...The timer ended, and Cherry looked back at Blake.

"Huh-?"

A vent above the lcd panel began spitting out a thick black miasma. The sound of it spewing out was loud enough to draw Cherry's attention and she looked back just in time to have this strange miasmic fog blasted directly into her eyes. In an instant she reached up and gripped at her face letting out a painful wail.

"yaaaAAAGHHHHHH!!!"

The faunus fell backwards, still gripping her face tightly as she convulsed in pain. Blake ran over and dragged her away from the bomb as it continued to emit a strange dark fog. Brick and Blake both stood over Cherry, trying to get her to calm down. Nero felt his heart sink to depths he didn't imagine possible...

"I...I can't see! I CAN'T SEE!!!"

"Brick, pick her up! We're getting out of here now!! Nero, you take the front! Be ready for anything!!!"

The tall man complied without a single word and grabbed Cherry, carrying her on his back. Nero rushed ahead of them, nocking an arrow into his bow in advance. The once bright sky outside was overcast in an instant as flying grimm of all kinds circled overhead. Countless screeched and roars echoed from the forest around the ruins. The emotion bomb was active...It was drawing hordes of grimm to their location. The four of them raced down the ruins as quickly as possible. Any Chernobog mercenaries that hadn't been knocked unconscious were too busy running away to try stopping the retreating team. They simply couldn't run fast enough to outpace the grimm that had rushed in on this location. Beowolves began climbing the walls and leaping into the path ahead of them, slashing and maiming the enemy mercenaries who were trying to escape with their lives.

"Grimm horde! Focus your fire! You can retreat and still hold them back!"

"It wasn't supposed to go like this! They told us it wouldn't happen!!"

"There's too many, we're surrounded!"

The sounds of total chaos filled the air. Weapons being fired, the beastly roars of grimm, the sounds of men screaming as they were eviscerated by monsters of the dark. In just 30 seconds this ruin had been turned into a fragment of hell itself. The shining beacon of hope at the gates of hell arrived as the team finally descended the palace ruins...Their ship flew in and hovered above the clearing they had arrived at before. Chernobog agents were retreating for the same treeline as the Black Ribbon team. The three of them had to watch in horror as they saw flying grimm swoop down and lift those black armored soldiers off of the ground, carrying them away as they could only scream helplessly.

Black shook her head, trying to focus on their own survival. As much as it shook her, she had to think about her team and her son first.

"We're almost there!! We don't have any time to waste so don't idle!"

The clouds overhead began to light up as lightning flashed and thunder boomed. But despite the nightmare behind them...The team had made it to the clearing just in time to see their ship land. The hatch opened and Marcus was standing at the entrance waving them over. Jasper leaned out of the hatch and fired off several arrows to hold the advancing grimm at bay. It was like there was no end to them as they poured out from the treeline.

They had made it...And yet there was some part of Nero that kept screaming at him. "Something's wrong." no...No, it had to be okay right? "Something's wrong. Something's very wrong." Nero watched Marcus reach a hand out towards Blake...It was almost like the man was smiling underneath his helmet.

"Marcus, thank the sisters! We made it! They're coming, we have to take off now!"

Blake reached out and grabbed the man's hand, waiting to be welcomed into the ship's cabin.

"Captain, you're just in time. You know...You're right. It's looking terrible out there. I just hate rainy days. Before we go, I have to tie up a few loose ends. Hope you don't mind."

Blake's eyes widened as Marcus drew a pistol from his side and shot her in the stomach. For just a moment the sounds of hell all around them seemed to fall silent as everyone watched in horror, even Jasper looked horrified for a moment...

"You said nobody was going to get hurt! What the hell Marcus?! This wasn't supposed to happen!!!"

The dog faunus grabbed Marcus by the collar of his suit shaking him angrily as Blake fell down onto the ground. Marcus scoffed at him, pushing him away.

"If you have any problems with the way I run this operation then you're welcome to step out into hell with the rest of them."

Jasper fell silent as he looked out of the hatch at Nero...His face fell into an expression of despair as he backed away into the ship's cabin out of view. Nero raced over to his mother, his voice completely silent. The caracal fell down onto his knees, clutching Blake tightly as the rain began to pour down onto them. Nero's green locks of hair fell into a deep blue as the mercenary team watched the ship fly off without them before it soon vanished beyond the treeline. Nero watched it leave with his eyes wide...he had fallen into despair. He didn't want to get up from the ground...No, maybe it would have been for the best if the grimm tore him apart now.

He was completely broken.

The sounds of the rain, the thunder, and the grimm that were slowly walking towards them were deafening. Nero couldn't hear anything else. He grabbed hold of Blake tightly, hugging her as closely as he could manage. It wasn't until a familiar hand grabbed hold of his shoulder that he woke up from his despair...He looked up to see Brick standing over him, the towering man's resolve had not broken. Despite everything he was still standing. He reached a hand down towards the faunus, speaking calmly.

"You can't give up now. I still need you. - Your mother still needs you. This world's too unforgiving if you let it wash over you. But you and I still have a job to do. And isn't seeing a job through no matter how impossible what we're all about?"

Nero took hold of Brick's hand, keeping Blake held tightly in his other arm as he was helped up onto his feet. The faunus shook his head sadly as he spoke up.

"But...There's nowhere left for us to run. No one is coming to save us. What can we possibly do?"

Their communication devices crackled as voice steadily came in.

"hhhhHello? H- hello? Are you reading me? This is the pilot of the White tooth, are you getting this?! Black Ribbon's been compromised! Our entire HQ was overrun by traitors! Black Ribbon is lost, I repeat, HQ has been overrun and we've suffered massive casualties. Our ship only has three passengers and is being commanded by Captain Ilia...Are you getting this?! Answer me if you hear this, this woman is trying to rip the radio from my hand!"

Brick raised two fingers to the side of his head, responding calmly.

"Brick responding. We have two injured including Captain Blake. Requesting immediate hot extraction. Don't land that bird for even a second. Our heading is 2459.3701 and we're running east. There should be a cliff there...Don't be late."

The radio went silent for only a moment before the pilot's voice called out with resolve.

"... Got it."

Brick looked down at Nero, motioning for him to move. Something which Nero gladly obliged. His body ached, his mind was racing, and his heart hurt. But...He had to bring his mother to safety, no matter what.

The pair raced through the thick forest as thunder boomed overhead. Each of them carried an injured ally weighing them down and making each step feel a little more painful than the last. The forest floor was muddy and threatened to trip them up every time their feet fell downwards. The screams of men fell silent as they ran away from the ruins but the sounds of dark monsters only became louder as grimm of all kinds closed in on them. The area shook violently as the trees ahead of them suddenly split apart and fell to the sides...A stone gigas grimm appeared in front of them, ready to crush them with its massive body. Before it could truly enact its vile plan however Brick drew his pistol and fired a single booming shot. It met its mark, striking the gigas directly in the face and causing it to stumble backwards until it fell on its back. It wasn't defeated by the mercenaries had no time to try. Brick and Nero raced past before it could stand up again.

Countless beowolves rushed in from their sides only to be met with defensive attacks. Brick raised his shield and struck one in the mouth with the bottom of it the very second its jaw opened to bite at him. The impact caused a sickening crunch to ring out as the beowolf's jaw shattered. It fell backwards as its mouth became limp. Nero drew an explosive arrow back and fired it off short range, the explosion made short work of three beowolves that were closing in on them.

As they ran an apathy stood up from the underbrush and grabbed hold of Nero. he struggled to push it back as he leaned down and latched its jaws onto his shoulder.

"Aghhh!! Get...Off of me!"

The faunus managed to push the skeletal creature back and then proceeded to wedge an explosive arrow into its mouth. He stepped back and picked up a pebble, rolling it between the finger tips of his gloves as the stone began to glow with the color of his aura. He then threw it as hard as possible. The stone shot off like a bullet, hitting the arrowhead perfectly and creating a chain reaction that completely obliterated the apathy's head and pushed away two beowolves that had been rushing in behind it. Nero hurried his pace to catch back up with Brick.

Finally...Despite the pair running low on aura, stamina, and willpower...They made it to a small clearing on the edge of a cliff. Salvation was just within reach...But their ship hadn't arrived yet. The White tooth wasn't here. Brick frantically reached for his communicator, calling out to the pilot.

"We've arrived at the extraction point, we need you here NOW. Countless grimm are approaching! We can't hold them off any longer!"

"We're on our way! Just five more seconds! We can see the cliff now! Just hold out a little bit longer!"

Brick stepped forward, moving in front of Nero as he sat Cherry down on the cliff. The towering man drew his shield with both hands and held it firm in front of him. He stood with a determination that said he could have held back an entire mountain if it fell on him. Nero reached for him to try and stop him from throwing his life away, even as he watched a horde of beasts breaking through the trees. Mammoth grimm, beowolves, apathy, even the gigas from before were all uprooting the forest to get to the mercenary team...Brick's shield impacted the stone cliff beneath him as he called out to the shadowy beasts.

"Come on then! I'll kill all of you! Every single one of you!!!"

His war cry was met with support from above. Several missiles fired off and made short work of the approaching grimm. The humming of a ship engine called out to the team as the White tooth hovered above them. The airship spun around as the hatch at the back lowered, giving them an entrance to safety. All the pair had to do now was jump to the hatch...

Brick went first, carrying both Blake and Cherry over his shoulders. They both gave each other an understanding nod as he went, knowing that getting them to the ship was a priority. And then it was just Nero...He looked behind him to see a wall of grimm rushing towards him, despite the ship's support just seconds ago the obliterated monsters had already been replaced. The faunus backed up just a little as he stared ahead at the hatch...And then he ran as fast as he could run, reaching the edge of the cliff and pushing off with his feet...

The air fell silent as he flew across the gap between the ship and the cliff...And then he started losing altitude. It was clear to everyone that he wasn't going to make it. He was going to fall. This was the end. he watched as the floor of the hatch became level with his face and then closed his eyes tightly, preparing for the worst.

"After everything, you still need my help? Well, that's why we're a team isn't it? Up...You go!!!"

Brick's reassuring voice called out as Nero suddenly felt a hand grip his arm and the free fall had suddenly stopped as the faunus now found himself being swung through the air. Brick twisted his body full force in order to use his own momentum to swing Nero into the ship's cabin. With the caracal safely inside Brick let go, sending Nero into the floor until he slid to a stop. The storm raged on outside as the hatch slowly closed, hissing the entire time as the hydraulics pulled it shut.

Somehow...They made it. Blake had been shot, Cherry had been blinded, and Nero's arm had been lacerated when he was bitten...But they were alive. Brick stood silently as Nero caught his breath.

"...We're alive."

Before those words could sink in the pilot called back to them, wasting no time pulling the White tooth high into the air and going full speed away from the area. The cabin's windows showed a view of hell. The storm clouds raging above the palace ruins circled like a vortex...With each flash of lighting hundreds of flying grimm could be seen circling below the clouds. Anyone that was left down there could not have possibly survived. The pilot's words were the only thing snapping everyone back to reality.

"I can't believe you made it! But...With HQ gone where are we supposed to go now? There's nothing left. ... I can't believe Black Ribbon is gone."

Silence fell over the ship as they all grieved over the loss of their mercenary organization. Out of everyone that once called that group their home the only ones still loyal and alive totaled seven people. Anyone else that had been in the mercenary headquarters at the time were either dead or missing. That heavy silence was broken as Blake raised up, weak but alive...And began to speak.

"There's only one place we can go. Haven..."

Blake and Cherry were both medically tended to as the ship turned itself around and flew off towards the city of Haven, the home of the knights. Nero laid on the floor of the ship's cabin, too sore and in pain to lift himself up. His eyes grew heavy until he passed out, falling into a deep sleep that lasted for the entire trip.

They were going to pay Chernobog back for this. For all of it.

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    Abyssal Nest TowersignatureBorderSmaller
    More Things: