Magical gamers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Magical gamers

A forum for games, stories and much more!

4 posters

[HALLOWEEN] Fishing for Answers [Team MARC]

Nothost
    Nothost
    Super Friend
    Super Friend
    Three years
    You've been a member for three whole years!

[HALLOWEEN] Fishing for Answers [Team MARC] Empty [HALLOWEEN] Fishing for Answers [Team MARC]

Post by Nothost Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:22 pm

The calm before the storm. A proverb that was almost universally used in almost all the countries, with exception of Vacuo. Hunters and huntresses had to deal with those situations all the time. They always had to be on guard, no matter how peaceful it looked. Team MARC would find themselves in a situation like that.

[HALLOWEEN] Fishing for Answers [Team MARC] KthH9eZ

The birds were singing and the sun was shining brightly. The faint sound of the lake water flowing against the bank carried through the air. Sometimes a peaceful environment could make things more dangerous. Rheas hopped that the others

The Professor looked at her scroll, then closed it, slipping it into a coat pocket before looking up at the scenery.

"I don't have many opportunities to see natural beauty like this. If this was a more secure location, I could see someone building a vacation home here."

Professor Rheas mused, leaning forward and holding a hand against her forehead. She a off into the distance, gazing at a structure in the distance.

[HALLOWEEN] Fishing for Answers [Team MARC] 743bJ1I

"That must be Mr.Grista's cabin over there. According to the report, he disappeared overnight with no sign of a struggle. Hmmm…"

She turned and looked at the team behind her. Her eyes focused on Snow.

"It's been a week since Team ORNG conducted their investigation of this area. It's very likely that the inside of the cottage is the only part of the scene preserved. Ms. Merlot, given the circumstances, how would you proceed with our follow-up investigation?"

Professor Rhea asked the teen calmly. There was no trace of disdain for the name in her tone, and there had never been in the classes that she taught.

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    [HALLOWEEN] Fishing for Answers [Team MARC] 2pq8T3s

Raymu likes this post

Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years
    You've been a pillar for an entire decade!

[HALLOWEEN] Fishing for Answers [Team MARC] Empty Re: [HALLOWEEN] Fishing for Answers [Team MARC]

Post by Raymu Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:31 pm

Team MARC was one of the teams chosen to stagger their arrival to the village itself, VOWL and JADE were sent ahead of them, but that didn't mean there was free time to sit around and wait. Rhea, Snow, Amber, and Karasu wasted no time in beginning their investigations proper. Their location of choice? The local Lake. A popular destination most of the time, but today? It was empty. Almost unnervingly so. The faint sounds of animals, the rustling of the wind blowing through the trees, and the gentle waves lapping against the shoreline were the only things that could be heard here. Snow was on guard, but not so much so that she couldn't observe her surroundings carefully.

The Merlot girl shook her head as Rhea commented on how this would probably be prime real-estate if it were in a more secure location.

"It looks ideal on the surface, but all this forest leaves too many hiding places. There could be an entire horde of grimm watching us and we wouldn't be able to tell. I feel...Vulnerable here."

Snow was ever the strategist, looking at things from the perspective of combat. Not that her argument was particularly hard to refute in this situation. She likely wasn't the only one to pick up on just how odd it was here right now.

"A place like this should be a wellspring of life for the village nearby. Civilization has always sought out water sources before all else. But there's not a soul to be seen here even though it should be the right time for activity."

The eldest Merlot daughter tapped her chin in thought for a moment before providing an addendum to her thoughts.

"... But maybe it's fortunate for us just this once, considering we're trying to stay away from the villagers for now."

As soon as Rhea pointed out the fisherman's cabin, Snow took in the details carefully. The place was immaculate. Well...As immaculate as a cabin in the woods could be, in any case. The report was right from what she could immediately see - It didn't look like anyone had forced their way inside, nor did it look like a crime scene. It was a scenic cabin sitting next to a still lake. Being the team leader, naturally Rhea asked for Merlot's thoughts first. Snow...Still wasn't used to hearing her last name spoken without even a hint of bitterness. The stoic girl closed her eyes for a moment, thinking it over. Though her response didn't take particularly long to reach, breaking her own silence.

"Ideally searching the interior of the cabin should be our priority, even though ORNG already searched it there's a slim chance that they may have glossed over something vital. None of them sounded like they were calm, a tense mind can miss details that would otherwise be obvious to someone else. Failing that...It appears Grista has a shed behind the cabin. It wasn't mentioned in the reports from the previous team, it's a total blind spot in this investigation. I can't guarantee there's anything of interest in there, but it's a very unassuming spot for a potential assailant to hide out. Someone could have hid inside for as long as they wanted, waiting for an opportunity to kidnap the fisherman."

Snow lowered her hands to her side, a determined look on her face as she continued.

"These two locations should be a priority. We're unlikely to find any clues in the surrounding forest given it's been an entire week. It pains me to say this, but if there was something to find there, the elements will have already erased it by now."

The Noble girl laid out her thoughts on this matter calmly and carefully, she waited in silence to hear both Rhea and her team's inputs on what she had offered. Any sort of oversight she might have made could easily be covered by these three. Each one was reliable in their own right and she had no doubt they wouldn't hesitate to offer a unique angle on this investigation. Regardless, if they were all in agreement Snow would begin walking over to the cabin. Her posture was calm, but mentally she readied herself to attack any would-be assailants at a moment's notice.

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    [HALLOWEEN] Fishing for Answers [Team MARC] TowersignatureBorderSmaller
    More Things:
    Amord
    Amord
    Remilia's Husband
    Remilia's Husband
    Ten years

[HALLOWEEN] Fishing for Answers [Team MARC] Empty Re: [HALLOWEEN] Fishing for Answers [Team MARC]

Post by Amord Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:04 pm

Karasu already took the chance to survey the surroundings. Rhea and Snow both had their own comments to make about what this place was like. Mixed between loving it, and disliking the vulnerabilities it offered. Seeing this as a chance to offer his own insight, he decided to comment his own thoughts about the lakeside venue.

"I didn't spot any Grimm here. More importantly, I didn't hear any. Grimm are not the most subtle creatures, even when they're trying to surprise a target."

To capitalize on that, he then gestures in a circular motion with his hand. "All the noise of the wildlife. It's faint, but it's there. If Grimm were in the area, they would be clearing out. Be concerned when the only thing you can hear is the wind."

Still, it was true that they at least didn't have to worry about the villagers right now. That was one silver lining in this considering the staggered approach they were taking to try and keep panic to a minimum. It did mean that their only option was to effectively jump straight into investigation, though.

Rhea poised a question to Snow, and it wasn't long before the Team Leader answered. Karasu listened to her reasoning, and found it overall sound. The cabin and the shed were about the only things they could work with at the moment... Though, Karasu had a thought as well.

"There is another option. If the cabin was untouched, it's a possibility that Grista was assailed somewhere else. I'll check the dock and the shed. The forest will have worn away any signs, but we may still find some around there."

He stated calmly, and then he'd follow with;

"Should be able to find drag marks on the wood, or something in the area around the shed."

After notifying his team of his intentions, Karasu would start with investigating the dock. It didn't seem like he was worried about being attacked. But then again, that was part of his fighting style -- to be as hard to read as possible.

Chances were, he was ready to strike suddenly if the need arises. Unfortunately his search of the dock didn't turn up much; no signs of a victim being dragged away. The boat was still there too, so whoever was responsible didn't toss the fisherman into the boat and then make off across the lake.

So, to the shed next, then. At first he wasn't sure there was anything there... But paying careful attention did pay off; there were spots of grass around the shed that were patted down.

"Hmm..."

Karasu then tried to determine the direction that this was heading in -- or from, as the case may be. Something either entered this way, or left this way. He had to try and figure out which was the case.

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    Aut viam ivenium aut faciam | I shall either find a way or make one

Raymu likes this post

Lamia
    Lamia
    Chaotic Horny
    Chaotic Horny
    Five Years
    You've been part of our home for half a decade!

Post by Lamia Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:07 am

Amber was about a fan of the area as Snow was, Though her reasons both differed and funny enough were quite similar. While she didn’t lag behind, her fitness lying in other areas meant she wasn't exactly a modal jogger, runner or long time walker, this meant she was at the rear of the group though she none the less kept a careful eye on her surroundings. The first reason she wasn’t a fan was obvious, this place wasn’t exactly fit for a Neet like her, save she wanted to reenact scenes from her favorite anime… or attempt to take Snow for a romantic walk along the water.. Though she was more a fan of the reverse of that situation happening ala her being the one brought, so that was out too. Tragic Heroine mold that Snow fit it would just be the best!

Though… that last name…

Her mom would demand she confront this. But she was in no rush to, hell for that matter why should she be? All that word of that sword alone had ever done was make her miserable. ‘It’s your birthright’ “’your it’s chosen, for our goddess” hmph… She didn’t need that sword, she didn’t care about whatever stupid conflict was brewing because of between there families. Liked Snow, as a team leader… and as a person. Mother was wrong. Besides, she didn’t need some crummy goddess like that anyway

She hadn’t seen need to bring it up, and she wouldn't know if she had similar knowledge like she did but , she wasn’t about to plague her with it if she didn’t. Besides the mission was more important here.

”I agree with Snow miss Rhea, to many openings… so many unsafe spots, we have a lot to cover if we don’t want to be out in the first wave like the previous team. Snow points out water…. With that there would be what comes after, abandoned field, few animals, as if they sense danger… .. nothing at all here, but… yeah, at least it makes things easier for us to set up? Observation will be needed… we don’t want to end up like those that came before, seeing as this isn’t zombies and definitely couldn't be, right Snow? Yeah.. ahem, maybe we can look for signs after were set up”

It was partly a shame, it would be pretty badass to watch that though… yeah probably better it’s definitely not that.

Of course Snow had a strong idea and answer for the teacher, Amber had to agree she made good points. It was a classic trope, the cabin you don’t suspect, just behind the poor target. Putting a thoughtful hand to her chin as she organized her thoughts, Amber would remain quite, at least for now as she organized her thoughts. This was Snow’s question after all, andhade waseeded but… she needed more for that.she had as needed but… she needed more for that. That was the bad thing about the start of a detective outing… it just wasn’t going to come all together at first.

Besides she enjoyed being led by the leash by Snow.. ah that determined glare she had… the power to drag her… ahem, guide them through any situation. Amber nodded her agreement with Snow’s plan, going forward she could support the group with her tech from behind and Snow could.. Ahem.. ravage anything in front, Between her and Karasu she was sure it would fill any holes in their formation. Not counting what miss rhea could add to the mix. As such she followed behind the group itself, restraining her latent submissive hormones to not attach herself to Snow’s waist and instead.

”I’ll make sure were covered on our approach, so feel free to let me have your back, I’ll have my tech watch out for what our eyes might not be able to catch right away”

Karasu offered his own insight as well, which Amber would take to heart. His experience proved very useful in the past, and would be here. Peophabble of ssume at a glance that they were a ram shabble of a team, but in truth they each worked together well, their abilities all cogs in the will that kept their team going proper. As such she’d adjust her tech for watching karasu as well when he decided he’d check the dock She’d adjust her support, Sending some of her made drones to go with him for support. They weren't super impressive things, as that wasn’t required yet. They could fire bolts of energy to deter targets, and observe in rapid succession the area around her, they we, as that was what they needed right now.. Programmed to send info back to Amber herself constantly so she could relay it to her team as needed. Amber herself stayed with Rhea and Snow, two drones alongside them, two with karasu to help wing over the area, obsergns of what they could be looking things for signs of what they could be looking things for signs of what they could be looking for, holes they might not see.. Amber made it herself after all! And she was sure behe made it herself after all! And she was sure between the four of them..

They’d crack this case in no time!

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    [HALLOWEEN] Fishing for Answers [Team MARC] Image

Raymu likes this post

Nothost
    Nothost
    Super Friend
    Super Friend
    Three years

Post by Nothost Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:22 pm

Something that became apparent pretty quickly was that Rhea was a patient listener. She was a teacher who considered her students' opinions. Sometimes she was a little blunt on own opinions, but at least it went both ways.

"True, there are many areas of cover encircling the open space that we are in. But Mr.Reiuji is correct: there are ways to detect nearby grimm even if you don't see them. I'm pleasantly surprised: it's not easy to compartmentalize Mr.Port's lectures. You have a keen ear for important details."

She looked at Karasu approvingly, then gazed over towards the forest. She then looked over at Snow.

"I must admit, I don't like being out in the open either. Especially when it's this desolated. I doubt we have to worry about Zombies, but I've been to the Emerald forest enough times to see monsters emerge from the trees."

Rhea gazed towards the cabin again, the slight breeze rustling her coat.

"One would assume that ORNG would have done their due diligence. But some of the team were abnormally distressed before even a full day passed. It's very likely they missed something. It's strange though. ORNG were in my classes for two years. Green was always alert, but he never shut down like he did in the log."

Rhea said, frowning. There was a tinge of sadness in her tone, a reminiscent look on her face. The moment passed, and Rhea looked at her students.

"If Grista was assaulted, then it didn't take place here. Even under duress, ORNG would have seen the signs of a struggle. It leaves one of two possibilities. He was either ambushed elsewhere, or he was lured away from his house. This area doesn't have specialized grimm like Wisps, so if it's the latter…"

Rhea trailed off, looking at all her students. "We'll deal with that when we get to the village. Let's take a look around here. Stay in sight of one another and the lake. If anyone isn't comfortable going out on their own, then stay close to me. And Amber, be subtle about your surveillance set up. Having eyes out of sight is a useful asset in this situation."

Rhea steadily made her way to the cabin. When she got to the porch, she stepped slowly up the stairs,looking down at her feet. It creaked slightly as she pressed her foot on each individual step. It seemed to be too deliberate not to be intentional.

Raymu likes this post

Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years

Post by Raymu Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:54 am

Karasu and Rhea both confirmed that there weren't in fact any grimm in the immediate area. Something that helped to reassure the stoic leader. However that didn't mean she would let her guard down. There weren't any grimm YET. And it seems Amber at least agreed with her tactical assessment.

"I suppose you're right. But I can't help but be guarded. As Amber said from a strategic standpoint we're at a severe disadvantage if something does attack. The grimm may not be subtle but with numbers I think we're all aware just how quickly they can overwhelm."

Snow raised an eyebrow as Amber brought up zombies again. With a sigh the team leader shook her head, speaking up calmly. She replied in agreement with Rhea's brief assessment regarding the living dead, although Snow was perhaps a little more blunt about it.

"Honestly...You've watched too many movies. The dead don't get up and walk again."

However, the eldest Merlot daughter was quite happy to know Amber was setting up a rear guard using her tech. If anything did spring up on them they could be fully prepared. She looked back at the Hiko, giving her a slight smile.

"Then we'll rely on you for that. With your expertise any would-be assailants will lose the element of surprise."

The team's leader rubbed her chin, falling deep into thought as Karasu offered his own insight. It was a fair point. If the victim wasn't taken from his home then it would have to be somewhere else that he was likely to be at the time of the attack. For a fisherman a dock and his boat were solid trails. Where else would someone like that be? Snow raised her head to look at the former-merc. Giving him a nod.

"A fair point. Alright, you check those areas while we check the cabin itself. If you see anything suspicious then call us over immediately. Whether it's a clue or something lurking in the shadows. Amber's drones will provide ample cover but it's still better that we stay together as much as possible."

Snow followed behind Rhea as Karasu split off to search the dock and the shed. She listened carefully as Rhea made her own observations, her gaze locked on the cabin ahead of them. So she knew Team ORNG...It made sense, she was a teacher at Beacon after all. But to have known them meant recognizing something concerning...They weren't acting like themselves.

"That raises two possibilities then. Either they were facing fatigue due to a previous mission... ... Or they noticed something deeply troubling. I can only hope it's the former. I don't want to think about what would cause a third year student of Beacon to lose sleep."

Rhea's observations matched Karasu's to a degree. If he was assaulted then it took place somewhere other than the cabin. That much was clear. But was he really assaulted at all? Rhea's second theory seemed to cover that possibility. Either this was the work of grimm who weren't native to the area...Or there was human involvement. The noble girl's eyes widened for a moment.

"Professor, do you think it could be a human being behind this...? But what would someone have to gain from kidnapping villagers from a quiet place like Hollow? If it were ransom then their targets wouldn't match at all..."

The steps creaked as the trio ascended up to the porch. A wind blew through the enclosed space, causing a set of wind chimes to ring lightly. Snow glanced to them for only a moment before moving further into the porch, peering into one of the windows...The home was completely untouched on the inside, like someone left in a hurry.

"Curious..."

Meanwhile in Karasu's investigation he would find the grass seemed to be pressed down in a direction facing the treeline away from the cabin.

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    More Things:
    Amord
    Amord
    Remilia's Husband
    Remilia's Husband
    Ten years

Post by Amord Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:22 pm

Rhea sounded pretty sure that even if they were stressed, they wouldn't have missed any signs of a struggle -- or indication that someone was taken... Normally that might very well be the case, but considering...

"We can't assume anything like that. Over the course of their reports they became increasingly panicked -- they even missed obvious things like the dock and the shed. To say nothing of what Vanta pointed out earlier, with them not even looking into the Graveyard."

Karasu wasn't really bringing this up to argue, but merely to point out... "We should consider every possibility, no matter how improbable given the circumstances."

It was even possible that they missed something involving the Cabin... But that probably didn't need to be said at this point. In either case, the investigation must continue, and exactly that happened.

On Karasu's side of things, he was able to confirm that the pressed down grass led into the treeline away from the cabin -- but even more importantly, it led northwest... In the direction of the village. While he was here, there was just one more thing he wanted to go over.

The shed. At first glance, it looked normal enough. Just a storage space in the woods. He enters to investigate further, eventually his gaze falls onto a set of tools arranged on a corkboard -- they all looked untouched since the day they were bought... Only... It looked like some tools were missing.

Karasu takes a closer look, and tries to determinate what is missing here. A drill and the associated bits. Wrench, spanner, pliers, various screw drivers... Even a saw. That was all there.

So what was missing from common tool needs? The first and most obvious one is a hammer. That was absent. At first Karasu thinks that a hatchet might be missing too, but glancing down he notes that it's leaning against some boxes.

"What else...?"

It should be obvious, he was wracking his brain trying to figure out what else was missing here. Looking around the shed, he had plenty of spare fishing gear. Mainly rods and reels, spools of fishing wire and tackle boxes. Even a set of shears.

But something kept nagging at Karasu that he was missing something. It wasn't the knives he'd use to prepare fish; even those were present. Just as he thinks he might have run out of ideas, it occurs to him: A bolt cutter. That's missing from the common toolset here.

Karasu looks through the rest of the shed. While fairly confident he had found some strong clues here, he wanted to be doubly sure that he wasn't missing something. Every piece of information could be valuable.

Even though anyone else could have probably walked out fairly confident of their findings here, he just couldn't shake that feeling that there was something obvious staring him right in the face here...

... And that was why. A shovel. That was what was missing here.

So in total; a hammer, a bolt cutter, and a shovel.

"Time to let the others know what I've found here."

Karasu then departs the shed and makes his way back to the cabin to speak to everyone else.

"I found some tracks near the shed. They head to the northwest, in the direction of the village. I looked at the shed itself, and almost all of the tools are brand new. Some of them are missing, though. A hammer, a bolt cutter and a shovel."

Now, why were those things missing, and why was the direction headed towards the village? That he wasn't sure of. But it was nonetheless important to make note of the findings... There was something else about what he found too, which kept bothering him.

"... One last thing. The grass only faces to the northwest. There's no indication that someone or something came here on that same path. We can check around for any other possible methods of entry, but..."

He sighs, knowing how crazy this was going to sound.

"... It's more like the Fisherman just up and decided to leave all by himself one day. I guess that would explain the missing tools, too."

Certainly, it'd be difficult to carry a person AND the tools. But if that person was leaving willingly with their tools in hand...

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯

Raymu likes this post

Lamia
    Lamia
    Chaotic Horny
    Chaotic Horny
    Five Years

Post by Lamia Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:23 pm

She appreciated Rhea’s patience, it was part of why she liked her as a teacher. Amber wasn’t the type to be full of energy and spunk all the time, or to be able to hop right on to a matter rapidly like something Minti would expect. Minti demanded action, Rhea gave time, she liked that.

[color=green[“Yeah, Karasu’s the anime protagonist after all, prodigy type, probably with a dark, mysterious past! It’s natural he’d get this down, honestly”[/color]

Amber put a thoughtful hand to her chin, thinking over what Rhea added. It was that odd for the team to act that way huh?

”If it's that odd… we may want to gather samples, my tech is limited here but..I can make something for us to test samples, if their behavior is so abnormal it could be something in the area, whether that be a beast… plant… maybe even… whatever we're looking for, I’ll set my drones to it right away!”
    She clicked a few buttons on her pad, and a soft glow came from the drones as they received her instructions,

”We’ll catch whoevers responsible miss rhea, promise”

She nodded to Rhea’s words of her set up, readjusting them as directed, she'd have eyes everywhere… if something twitched she was determined to see it herself. Not a hair on Snow’s.. or her team's heads would be plucked, she’d see to it.

She gave a determined look Snow’s way, with a smile.

”I’ll make sure we know at the first sign of anything Snow, Nothing gets by my tech!”

Maybe Snow was right though, Zombies couldn't really be real right? Sure there was that one type of parasite that could make what were basically zombies out of other bugs, but that was completely unrelated, it didn’t apply to humans right? Yeah definitely not. You know what did apply though? Snow’s smile, it made the girl squee on the inside, practically on the outside to with how she briefly shook.

”Of course! You can rely on me Snow, my eyes are everywhere.. No one will escape me, you have my guarantee!”

Amber was busy gathering there thoughts, putting the words the team had voiced down in her notes so they could reference or add to them later. Everyone made good points, it would be good to be able to easily come back to them later. She then once more sent an organized copy of what they had gone over to each member of their team, organized as well as dated of course. After this she got a light ping in her ear, from one of her drones.

”Oh hey guys, one of my drones caught something…”

She would bring up the feed on Drone #12, preparing to connect her team members scrolls when she saw it.

”W…wait, that's… it looks where's his… h…he…..”

In the next moment Amber screamed a high pitched scream , one so high in fact it would come across as a child half her age. She then leapt,at a high speed right into Snow’s arms, who likely caught her even despite the surprise of her actions, ending up in what was akin to a bridal style carry.

”I FUCKING KNEW IT WAS ZOMBIES!!”

The NEET shivered in Snow’s arms, clearly shaken by what she had seen. But what had she seen? Well if one looked to her fallen scroll they would catch sight of a image capture. The image was hard to make out, hazy. But what had frightened Amber would be clear for all to see.

There was no head, in fact there was not even anything in the area where the head should be. Yes this was what the girl was in a panic over… and she wasn’t done ether.

”I FIGURED IT OUT, WHATEVER PSYCHO IS HERE, MAYBE THEY USED THAT BOLT CUTTER, HAMMER AND SHOVEL TO DECAPITATE THAT FREAKING ZOMBIE I JUST SAW, THEY DIDN’T DESTROY THE HEAD ON PURPOSE SNOW, IT’S AN IMMORTAL ZOMBIE NOW!!!”

The hiko clung tightly to her team leader, in a panic over all this chaos. But… if one looked at the feed that area was now… completely empty, nothing to be seen.

And if the team told Amber that they’d receive yet another high pitched wail… poor neet.

And poor Snow’s ears.

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯

Raymu likes this post

Nothost
    Nothost
    Super Friend
    Super Friend
    Three years

Post by Nothost Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:30 pm

Rhea nodded, considering the words of the team she was accompanying. "That's why it's important to stay in sight Ms.Merlot. We're less likely to be attacked by grimm then the other groups are. But as Mr.Reiuji pointed out, we cannot assume anything."

She looked over at Karasu. He was always of interest to her. All the students that invoked her curiosity were. But he was one of the ones that stood out in an already unique class of first years, much like Snow did.

"Their strange behavior is why we're starting this investigation from the ground up. Treat this as a first time surveyment of the area. I find it strange that they were careless so early on, even if they were on edge. We'll have to be prepared for anything."

Rhea gave Amber a slight smile. Despite the situation, she had a very capable team. Amber was taking things seriously despite her own eccentricities.

"I'll leave the tech side of things  to you Ms.Alchemilla. You know your equipment better than I do. Just make sure to share all your findings with the group. No detail is too small to consider."

They went on to their own investigations then. Snow had chosen to follow her to the cabin while the others had expanded their search to other areas. She looked over at Snow.

"Or worst of all, they could have been caught off guard while already exhausted from a previous mission. We're fresh compared to the condition they were in, but we can't afford to let our guard down."

Rhea paused at the serious question Snow presented to her. It wasn’t exactly an easy, or pleasant conversation she had. She turned, facing her student and looking at her solemnly.

"It's hard to say right now. I don't have enough evidence to say in this case. You can't afford to live your life distrusting people, but you can never discount the possibility of foul play either." The best advice I can give you is to not let suspicion affect your interactions with the villagers."

When Karasu made it back to the Cabin, he would find Professor Rhea standing still on the top of the second stair leading up to the porch. She raised her foot and tapped down a couple of times. The sound underneath her echoed slightly. She rubbed her chin as she listened to Karasu.

"So he went off under his own power or was lured away in some capacity. The items missing from the shed are a little too conspicuous. Perhaps we should relay this to team VOWL. Given the tools missing and the fact that ORNG didn't search the Graveyard, it's worth exploring in greater detail."

When Amber announced that something showed up on the feed. She saw something on the thermal feed. She glanced up as Amber screamed out. She looked entirely unphased by the situation.

"If Zombies existed, they wouldn't show up that brightly on a thermal feed. A corpse doesn't produce body heat."

Rhea put away her scroll. She took out a pair of white gloves from her coat pocket and stretched them over her hands. She took a couple of steps back so she was standing on the fourth step down, and knelt down so that she was kneeling down on the third step. She turned and looked at Amber.

"If your nerves have gotten the best of you, stick close to me. I won't let anything happen to any of you."

[HALLOWEEN] Fishing for Answers [Team MARC] 8cf676c6ce910f20ff21945749d945dbd0914166999e38a857dd65217c64faa5_thumb

She said reassuringly, giving the girl a slight smile. She turned back to looking at the second to last the board, feeling around the edges with her gloved hands.

"My apologies Mr.Grista, but I'm going to have to pry into your life a bit."

She muttered softly. Professor Rhea gripped the opposite edges of the step. If anyone was capable of it, they would sense a very slight spike in her aura at the same time she pulled on the wood. If all went according to plan, Rhea would have removed the top of the step from the porch.

Raymu likes this post

Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years

Post by Raymu Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:17 pm

The team leader regarded Rhea's words carefully, giving her a cautious nod of understanding. Both of them were correct - They couldn't assume anything here. There simply wasn't enough evidence yet for them to conclude anything concrete. It's really no wonder team ORNG had failed as they did. But their fate only served to strengthen Snow's resolve. Whatever happened here, it was claiming more and more people the longer it went without being solved. It wasn't just the villagers, it was anyone unlucky enough to be caught in the wrong place. She simply couldn't let things keep going this way. Amber mentioned something about Karasu being an "anime protagonist"...It was a statement Snow could only regard her teammate with using a silent glance of momentary confusion. Somehow despite all their time together the team leader still didn't understand Amber's references all that well.

So they were treating this as an entirely new investigation? The Merlot girl rubbed her chin, eventually nodding.

"Unfortunately I think you're right. It doesn't appear there's anything useful in their findings. But...Perhaps that in itself is a clue. You said they weren't acting like themselves, like you knew them to act. And they were third years...Something or someone caused them to behave strangely."

As if on cue Amber's own thoughts seemed to match Snow's perfectly. A device to test samples...?

"I think that's an excellent idea. Leave nothing untested. The water, the air, the ground beneath our feet, if it's a natural phenomenon we need to know."

Karasu's return brought a wealth of very interesting information. So the previous team really HAD missed the shed...? Flattened grass pointing away from the cabin, but not towards it? Missing tools? Karasu believed he had come up with a crazy theory, but Snow shook her head as she observed him.

"We can't rule out anything at this point. Even something absurd could be on the table. What we know of these missing people is already rather strange as it is, and I have to admit that I can't deny the plausibility that he could have been led away considering the lack of a visible struggle. But..."

The eldest Merlot daughter closed her eyes, a troubled expression on her face as she crossed her arms.

"It bothers me that someone would simply walk away and never come back. Even for someone reclusive like Mr. Grista evidently was. People don't just walk off into the wilderness in the middle of the night...Not unless they intend to die. But if he really was suicidal, why bring those tools with him? And why those three specifically? It's not as though he could dig his own grave."

She gave their teacher a solemn nod.

"I think that getting distracted for even a moment could become deadly in this place. If only they had uncovered something truly useful in their sacrifice, at least then we might have an advantage. But I still feel lost in the dark."

She couldn't deny Rhea's thoughts in regards to the possibility of an enemy living inside the village itself. But perhaps it wasn't worth concerning herself over it just yet, after all like their teacher had said, there just wasn't enough evidence to lead to a conclusion yet. Then there was Rhea's conclusions and theories in regards to the information Karasu had gathered. Even as she tested a step she spoke without missing a beat. Snow raised an eyebrow for a moment, curious of just what the older woman was doing, but she listened none the less.

"My younger sister's team...Yes I think this could be very useful information for them. At the very least it could give them some kind of lead. Something to be on the lookout for. If we found those tools..."

Snow wasn't able to finish that thought as an ear piercing scream rang out, catching her attention immediately. And then she quickly raised her hands as she saw Amber flying towards her, catching the neet effortlessly and holding her in a princess carry.

"Amber- What's wrong? There's nothing on your feed-"

Her ears began to ring as Amber screamed yet again...She glanced down at Amber even as the hiko began shouting about zombies and how they had been decapitated by those tools. The noblewoman's eyes fell on Amber's scroll which had been dropped onto the floor of the porch. The still image...It was a person caught on the thermal feed of one of Amber's drones. Someone was watching them...Someone was watching them! Snow carefully placed Amber back down onto her feet and then drew her axe. She glanced over to Karasu.

"Follow me, draw your weapon and be prepared for anything, it could be an ambush. Amber you stay with Professor Rhea! I need you to contact team VOWL! Let them know what we've found, and warn them that someone was watching us in secret! Professor we will return momentarily."

Snow leapt over the porch's guard rail and rushed towards the treeline, the forest was thick and practically untouched by human and faunus alike, but there was just enough space to slip through the trees and into the forest proper. The image looked to be about 30 feet out from the cabin. It didn't take long for her to rush into a clearing that was about the right distance away. What she found... ... Was nothing. No strange beheaded figure, no footsteps, no broken branches or crushed grass, not a single sign that anyone was here at all. The team's leader tightened her grip on her axe, her eyes darting back and forth.

"... I don't understand... I don't understand! There's nothing here! They couldn't have possibly escaped so quickly without slipping up and leaving behind evidence! This doesn't make sense!!"

Rhea's investigative efforts bore fruit. The second step came free from it's restraints quite easily, but underneath wasn't an empty space like one would have expected...No, someone had built a hidden compartment beneath the hollow board. This was undeniably designed to hide something. The contents of this hidden compartment was something rectangular wrapped up in brown paper and tied together with a rough linen cord. Unwrapping the contents would reveal it to be a leather-bound journal. An absolute goldmine of information waited within the pages.

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    More Things:
    Amord
    Amord
    Remilia's Husband
    Remilia's Husband
    Ten years

Post by Amord Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:22 pm

Karasu raised a brow at Amber's comment regarding him being an anime protagonist.

"... Do I qualify as a prodigy type if I didn't even know what my Semblance was until recently?"

Whether or not Amber answered that, the conversation would inevitably turn towards the investigation they were conducting here.

"Hmm... Collecting samples, huh? There's no telling if we'll find anything, but it's worth a shot. Right now, anything we can find -- or possibly not find -- is a clue."

It seems as though everyone was in agreement on that front too. Rhea also raised an important point for them all to keep in mind as well, there was no reason to suspect foul play in the village as of yet, and thus they needed to keep their suspicions in check.

"Given the lack of indication of anyone coming here -- at least from our investigations so far, I find it hard to believe that it would have been someone from the village. Given the remote nature of the village and especially this cabin, it's unlikely they used a scroll to call him either."

He thought it over carefully. It would have had to have been planned out in advance, at the very least. "It would only be possible to do something like that by talking with him in advance... Making a plan for him to meet up with the culprit without him being aware of any foul play."

Suffice to say, it was pretty unlikely. But not entirely impossible. One thing was true either way; he left on his own. That part hadn't changed. "Is it possible that a Grimm could have done this? I've heard of some crazy stories involving special types."

Either way. It was a good idea to share their findings with the others. "Yeah. Let's send them our findings as soon as possible."

Not long after that, Amber called out that she saw something on one of her feeds -- and then promptly started to freak out over it. Letting out some very strong shrieks in the process. Karasu winced slightly, but at least he wasn't catching it as bad as Snow was right now...

Karasu had the same instinct as Snow, however. Checking the feed that had her so worked up. That still image certainly said a lot...

This was certainly not a normal investigation. Snow already started giving out commands on what to do, and Karasu gives a nod, readying his sword and following suit. But given that the feeds were now turning up nothing... He already had his suspicions regarding this.

But once they arrived and could find nothing out of the ordinary -- as Snow was quick to point out -- those suspicions were confirmed.

"Calm down. If we can't find any proof of someone having been here, then we can draw one of two conclusions as a certainty;", he paused briefly.

"One: It's a Semblance that can induce illusions.
    Two: It's a special type of Grimm.

Either one relies on us panicking. We're going to deny them that chance.
    "

There it was. Something that Snow and Amber were already familiar with.

Karasu in full 'War Path' mode. He closed his eyes. If there was no physical evidence, he needed to rely on his other senses... Nothing in the air. No particular smells either.

But he did notice something. His eyes opened.

"The wildlife is quiet now."

He readies himself for the possibility of combat on the spot.

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    Lamia
    Lamia
    Chaotic Horny
    Chaotic Horny
    Five Years

Post by Lamia Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:14 pm

Amber would have reacted to her teacher using whatever she was, if she wasn’t well… preoccupied in her freakout. Heck, the neet would have had her own opinions on everything going on if not for that case. But, even more so due to all her anime watching reinforcing the fact that ZOMBIES WERE FREAKING TERRIFYING. In fact what she did respond to of her teacher? The motion that it couldn't possibly be a zombie after all. She shook her head rapidly in defiance, clearly not ready to accept this fact anymore.

”You clearly haven’t heard of hellfire zombies Miss Rhea! Those things ARE NOTHING BUT THERMAL, AHHHH!”

Furiko, Light Shines Thrice taught her that the hard way! Ughhh, and the first time she forgot to douse the previous areas fire to so she had to backtrack SO far.

Despite her current freak out the drones continued to do their job, Amber having directed them, they were at work analyzing it and collecting samples from quite a few different sources. In fact it wasn’t until she was put down that Amber’s muttering freak out started to dye down. No, mind you she still thought it was zombies, but she was more coherent now. They were going out.. And due to her freak out she was staying behind, again, her head hung in response, something that might be noticed by their teacher. She had gone from impressing Snow to being useless… in a matter of seconds. No… she could still do this, she could make her mess up right now. She had Veronica in her contacts, she could patch her through now.

”Right Snow, don’t worry I’ve got this, and my drones will back you up!”

And they would, without their master they wouldn't have their full power, but they’d be able to support the duo. Meanwhile Amber would connect herself to Veronica, waiting for her to pick up, when she did Amber would well…. Not help how things were going on that end.

”Oh hello Veronica…. WE’VE GOT ZOMBIES, WITHOUT HEADS!”

No, no stop, breathe amber breathe.

”An unknown foe was caught on my feed watching us, it appeared to be headless, given where your group is you… may want to watch out for graves, specially any mass collection of them in one spot just in case, we havent confirmed but… the most important thing is that whatever is behind this may already be moving around, be on the….”

At this exact moment, Snow’s frustrations would be able to be heard over the call, getting transferred to her scroll of course from her drones. Yeah that wasnt going to help the poor young leader at ALL.

”Lookout ok? I’ll keep my line open so we can keep communicating ok? It looks like it’s fast… we may need to coordinate to catch it… Amber out for now!”

She ended the call after answering anything Veronica may had to discuss on the situation at hand. After she turned her focus once more to their situation, the drones' rapid movement allowing them to search in areas the hunters might not be able to.

”I’m sorry, miss Rhea, i know, true zombie, or something more ground in reality I need to keep my composure, for my team. They need me to support them in the field… and I will!, here…there… where is that thing….

She kept hunting seeking, her drones searching in every crack, every blade they could, while the main ones supported her partners, the others tried to sus ANY sign of where this thing is, SHE WAS GOING TO THROW HOLY WATER RIGHT IN IT’S DAM FACE!

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯

Raymu likes this post

Nothost
    Nothost
    Super Friend
    Super Friend
    Three years

Post by Nothost Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:10 pm

Rhea cupped her chin with one hand, her worry apparent on her face. "If someone or something was affecting their behavior, then we'll have to take extra precautions."

Abilities and semblances that could affect the state of mind were particularly insidious. It wasn’t something you could easily avoid, and could affect people in subtle ways. Hopefully Amber's instruments would help shine a light on all the uncertainty.

Rhea listed to Karasu and Snow discuss the mysterious behavior of the fisherman. She hummed lightly, tapping her chin.

"And that's the big conundrum. An outsider would stand out in a small village like this. If Mr.Grista was lured away, it would have had to have been by someone he knew. Or he willingly left somewhere with those tools. We might learn which it is soon enough."

She had a feeling that the Graveyard team would find something disturbed in the Graveyard. Still, there were other possibilities that she didn't want to bring up with the group just yet.

Snow and Karasu went to inspect whatever the mysterious lifeform was. She didn't follow them, as someone had to stick near Amber. She would intervene. Rhea glanced over at Amber.

"I doubt it. Hellfire Zombies existing would imply that Hell is real. Ask the Graveyard team if "

The Professor made her opinion on the subject matter pretty apparent with that statement. It wasn’t a surprising view, considering that she was a researcher first and foremost. How Amber conveyed the message to the other group wasn't ideal. But hopefully the Graveyard team would be on the lookout for the missing tools. She let out a sigh.

"It's okay to be a little scared Amber. But you shouldn't do or say things that could cause anxiety needlessly. Veronica's team is exploring the Graveyard, so they're likely already on edge. Now then…"

Professor Rhea opened the journal she found. Her face remained neutral at first. Her eyes darted from side to side quickly. She turned the page after about 5 seconds. She kept on turning them in intervals.

"Keep your eyes open Amber. If anything gets too close to us then I'll deal with it. In the meantime, support Snow and Karasu as much as you can."

She was going throught the journal quickly. There was a very strong possibility that something was nearby, and that they'd get into a fight soon. But she also knew the students she was with. She wasn't worried about Snow and Karasu. She trusted they would handle the situation however they could. And she could keep her and Amber safe.

She continued going through the journal, skimming the pages quickly. She would study it more in detail later. Right now she had to keep alert and just look for anything strange within the entries. It seemed to be something that the fisherman had written, given what the initial contents were.

Raymu likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 6:18 pm