Magical gamers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Magical gamers

A forum for games, stories and much more!

4 posters

[HALLOWEEN] The Graveyard Shift [Team VOWL]

Amord
    Amord
    Remilia's Husband
    Remilia's Husband
    Ten years
    You've been a pillar for an entire decade!

[HALLOWEEN] The Graveyard Shift [Team VOWL] Empty [HALLOWEEN] The Graveyard Shift [Team VOWL]

Post by Amord Sat 29 Oct 2022 - 1:33

[HALLOWEEN] The Graveyard Shift [Team VOWL] Huan-le-v-ng-highresscreenshot00007

Going to the Graveyard was normally not anyone's first choice. But... Here they were, investigating a place like this. Vaneera wasn't really sure what Vanta was expecting to find here. It was true that it was uncovered in the previous investigation, but surely if anything was hiding out here of all places, the village would be aware of it.

Still, part of it was because of the staggered approach they were taking as well. They couldn't have too many show up in a single location -- particularly the Village. Though Vaneera was not expecting to turn anything up here, it was two birds with one stone right now.

"Though, it really is an unpleasant place after all..."

She commented.

Places like this tended to soak up a lot of negative emotion. It made sense, when you considered the purpose of a Graveyard. It seemed to be enough to put basically anyone on edge, but it was doubly true for Arcana.

... Vaneera was keeping it pretty well in check, all things considered. And she was keeping pretty close to Motet too.  As far as anyone else was concerned, it would just be that they were uncomfortable being alone in a place as eerie like this. One might think that odd, especially out of Vaneera of all people, but...

[HALLOWEEN] The Graveyard Shift [Team VOWL] Huan-le-v-ng-highresscreenshot00001

... A thick fog. Light had a hard time penetrating here, and all the brush and trees only further obscured it. The grounds were cared for, but it didn't seem to be the biggest priority for the village. The weather just seemed to want to add onto that.

"Well... Any idea of what we're supposed to be looking for here? I'm not seeing anything immediately stand out."

Vaneera asked of Vask Vanta, the one currently in charge of this operation.

Why him, and not Veronica? Well...

Right now, Veronica was standing even closer to Mauve than Vaneera was to Motet... Veronica was trying to put on a brave face.

Emphasis on the bolded part.

That and it was true that this was Vanta's idea. They would need an idea of how to proceed. At the very least, Vaneera could feel only faint traces of Grimm -- probably drawn by that previously stated negativity. Not that she could confirm such a thing without seeming very suspicious.

... Save for one oddity. She could feel some sort of presence. It felt like a Grimm, but... Unlike them, too? It didn't strike her as an Arcana; neither a Minor or a Major one. But that was all she could determine.

But with the way this place was filled with negative emotion, it was difficult to pin-point. That, or maybe it was a stealthy type? Those did exist. Vaneera was trying her best to hone her focus on it. But it wasn't easy, especially since she had to keep up her cover while doing so. That and pay attention to what the Team was doing.

At the very least... It should be fine since it can't approach without her noticing, maybe? She didn't like keeping them in the dark, but this was neither the time or the place to get into what she was.

It would be a long time before they were ready to learn about Arcana.

But that feeling... Warm and sickly. It wasn't quite hot, but felt like being soaked in humid bogwater.

She hadn't felt anything like that from Grimm before. A place like this, you'd expect it to chill you to the bone. It was such a weird contradiction. Like... Maybe it wasn't meant to be here? But even with that in mind, she did notice that as she carefully moved through this space -- that feeling was most noticeable near the gravestones.

It was no use trying to figure all this out with such limited information. On top of it all, she also had to keep an eye on Motet, there's no telling how she was handling all of this right now.

"How are you doing, Motet?"

She queries, hoping that she was having a better time of things...

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    Aut viam ivenium aut faciam | I shall either find a way or make one

Raymu likes this post

Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years

[HALLOWEEN] The Graveyard Shift [Team VOWL] Empty Re: [HALLOWEEN] The Graveyard Shift [Team VOWL]

Post by Raymu Sat 29 Oct 2022 - 2:48

The graveyard...A place where the dead were laid to rest eternally. A place of parting where every negative emotion congregated. Very few settlements in Remnant ever built their cemeteries within their towns and villages as a result, it was simply too much of a risk after all. But it was precisely that kind of risk that made these places sparse when it came to actual life. Coming here...Definitely wasn't Veronica's idea. As Vaneera had already observed, she was clinging rather tightly to Mauve, her eyes shifted around nervously.

"A...Amber showed me this movie where...Dead people came out of the ground in a place just like this! That's not gonna happen right?! Dead people don't get back up right Mauve?!"

Vanta sighed, giving Veronica a firm pat on the back which caused her to practically jump ten feet in the air as she never let go of the faunus girl even once.

"IYAAA?!?!"

The man raised a finger to his mouth, hushing her calmly.

"Relax Vera. I can promise you the dead don't come back to life. They certainly never have in my decades of work as a huntsman. What you need to be worried about is the grimm. The rest of you feel it right? That sensation like you're being watched. It's unmistakable. Close your eyes and focus for a minute. It's no surprise this place is drawing grimm. They probably rest here during the day and come out full force during the night."

Veronica took their teacher's advice to heart and did her best to try and relax...The youngest merlot daughter focused on taking deep breaths...She shut her eyes and did as the man had instructed, letting the world surround her. He was right...There was a slight sensation of being observed. She had eased herself ever so slightly...But never the less the small girl clung tightly to Mauve.

Vaneera, naturally was curious why they had even come here. It was true there were no reports on this spot, but it wasn't as though bodies were being dug out of their graves...As far as anyone knew. It was the living who were being snatched in the night, so why here? Vanta answered that question calmly as he got down on one knee and began to observe the ground beneath him.

"Well, so far it's just a hunch...But can any of you four tell me some details about graveyards?"

Veronica peaked out from behind the much bigger faunus girl, glancing at her teacher and speaking up as calmly as she could manage.

"W...Well, they're a hotbed for grimm activity, but I think that's obvious isn't it?"

Their teacher nodded calmly, confirming her observations.

"That's one part of it. But there are other details. Things we know about graveyards that are often a direct result of that activity."

Veronica paused, thinking it over carefully...Things that came about as a result of grimm congregating here in great numbers? Well one thing that came to mind was simple...

"There aren't a lot of people coming to these places as a result...?"

With a snap of his fingers Vanta pointed to the team leader with a smile as he spoke up.

"Exactly. Cemeteries are...If you'll pardon the pun, dead. And if you were making off with people in the middle of the night, where would be a good place to carry out your activities without the risk of other people finding you? Say that your options are limited, you can't build a shack miles away from the village because the longer it takes for you to drag someone from point A to point B, the greater the risk is they'll break free. Well, then what are the closest places to Hollow?"

Veronica's eyes widened in surprise. He was definitely onto something here.

"So you think someone could be using the graveyard to plot their next moves? Or at the very least they could be bringing people here?"

Their teacher shook his head, glancing at the treeline barely visible behind a wall of fog. He stood up and turned to face his students.

"Like I said, it's only a hunch. There's nothing definitely telling me just yet that anyone is plotting something sinister here. But it pays to think ahead on just what an area offers for someone...or something from a strategic standpoint. If you can figure out why a location is valuable to your enemy, you can track them even when they don't leave behind evidence. But I'd like to hear your thoughts, from each of you in fact. What do you think a graveyard means from a strategic standpoint?"

It was something VOWL's leader had to put serious thought into...A place like a graveyard where few people ever dared to tread. There was a constant feeling of being observed - Something almost certainly being caused by grimm. It was a risk for anyone to linger here...

"Well...I don't think the outdoors are particularly valuable to anyone human or faunus...Even if they're bad guys that doesn't mean they can just live with the grimm. I...Eeeeehhh...I would...maybe use the crypts...maybe..."

Vera was starting to regret her line of thinking before it had even escaped her lips.

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    [HALLOWEEN] The Graveyard Shift [Team VOWL] TowersignatureBorderSmaller
    More Things:
    Nothost
    Nothost
    Super Friend
    Super Friend
    Three years
    You've been a member for three whole years!

[HALLOWEEN] The Graveyard Shift [Team VOWL] Empty Re: [HALLOWEEN] The Graveyard Shift [Team VOWL]

Post by Nothost Sun 30 Oct 2022 - 2:17

"No kidding, this place is damn gloomy. If you weren't my teammate, I'd be getting  the creeps between that and your outfit."

She nested, referring to the cloak that Vaneera liked to wear. She looked over at Veronica, who was pressing close to her. Of the situation wasn't so serious, she would be relishing this close contact they were having right now. She shrugged.

"I ain't ever seen or heard about dead people coming back to life. And I've been to cemeteries before."

Mauve suspected now wasn't quite good time to mention that she had run into some nasty things while patrolling cemeteries. She winced when Veronica cried out, her head looking at Vanta briefly. She held in a snicker, instead opting to reach out and pet her girlfriend's shoulder a couple of times.

"Comeon Veronica, you've dealt with scarier things than this."

Mauve didn't close her eyes. She didn't have to with the experience she had. She let Veronica focus on it. She instead looked over at Vanta.

"Yeah, I feel it. But whatever has been hanging around here isn't coming out in the open right now."

Fortunately, Veronica's mind seemed to be in the right place, even though she was scared. Mauve didn't interrupt as she and her teacher talked. The two of them were really close, and she wasn't going to interrupt an experienced hunter. At least not when it came to giving Veronica good advice.

Mauve looked over at Vanta, scratching the back of her head.

"Nothing savory, I can tell ya that much. We don't know jack about who or what is behind this, but some basic things are the possibility of tunnels, privacy, things like that. Without knowing more, all I have are ideas."

Mauve looked over at Veronica, and could tell she was getting scared. Mauve sighed, rubbing the back of her head.

"Yeah, crypts and mausoleums are the only places you could hide here. Should be easy to tell if someone's been in them or not. Those places aren't disturbed often. Maybe we'll get lucky and find tracks or prints."

Mauve glanced over at Veronica, then gave Vanta a look. "Maybe Veronica and someone else can stand guard as we investigate those places. Not everyone has to go exploring crypts."

Veronica seemed really scared of the idea of looking inside a crypt. Maybe Vanta would take pity and not make her walk into one.

Raymu likes this post

Lamia
    Lamia
    Chaotic Horny
    Chaotic Horny
    Five Years
    You've been part of our home for half a decade!

Post by Lamia Sun 6 Nov 2022 - 22:47

Motet was perhaps the only one unphased in one way or another by the graveyard, at least on the surface. This was just how her brain was wired. It wasn’t that she was an idiot, or that she was just fearless. It was a mix of several things, she was innocent, mixed with a logical mind. She was free as the wind, yet also gifted with the determination of that same wind to go forward, no matter what. This graveyard was just a place for her. For her, if ghosts were real she’d cut them down, same of zombies or anything else. But none of that was teh case right now. Right now this was an investigation, and she was Vaneera and Veronica’s, team VOWL's hunting dog. Well, mainly Vaneera’s of course, but Veronica was nice and she was doing pretty good as the team lead so far. She didn’t even mind following her orders most of the time! Vanta sadly did not have this benefit. Oh she did teach him like a teacher, sure-but the leadership benefits Veronica and Vaneera had just wort there… poor mr vanta.

”Is it Vani…? It doesn't seem that bad to me! maybe smells a bit though….”

Bat rested against her shoulder she pinched her nose with her free hand shaking her head.

”Yuck!”

She was enjoying being close to vani however, it was just like when they were on the road! The two were partners, this was no different in that regard. But there was more to it than th. While he graveyard itself didn’t put Motet out any, the emotions behind them did. Of course all Arcania would be affected, given there make up. But Motet was particularly in touch with her grimm nature, her more feral side.  Her team mates had seen that fact a few times now, Veneers was more used to it than anyone. Because of this she and perhaps a certain other berserker tended to get the worst effects from these sorts of things-that was her part of staying so close to veneers, who would here her growl every once in a while, her hands, which held Vaneera’s own. The red hooded girl would notice her tensiness, but also an inkling to pounce at…. Anything, such was the power of places like this,  where it could heavily influence her. Places with a high pool of emotions were like that. Vaneera however? Veneers could reign her in even in moments like this, such was the strength of the bond they shared-even as the red hooded girl likely dealt with her own issues as well. Motet’s body would twitch at times- but she’d not lose control… not with Vani there. Motet’s situation meant that she didn’t cat, up to certain cues those around her were making, such as Veonica’s brave face routine, or her being just as close to mauve. Or in fact a lot of Vanta’s words though she tried to keep herself tuned in, vaneera would likely be doing the clear listening for the pair, given her condition compared. Motet put on a strong smile for Vaneera, one the fellow Arcania could likely see through it with ease. Though it wasn’t overpowering her, she was struggling with the flux of negative emotion. Like Vaneera she felt this negative emotion. Like Vaneera she could feel something.. But she couldn't quite place it. Maybe if she… the team was used to her acting more wild of course, and she could…exercise just a little of this out of her system, maybe… but it would wait. She turned to Veronica and smiled.

”Silly Veronica, dead people go in the ground they don’t walk about!”

Ooooh Veronica could jump so high! They should have a contest some time!

Veneers would probably try to stop Motet from focusing to hard, for obvious reasons, but well…

”Right teach”

Ah…. This time the growls would be clear for the rest of the team to hear, if they hadn’t before, a flinch in Motet’s eyes, for a millisecond, the briefest of moments a flash of red was there as she gripped Vaneera’s hand to steady herself. This resulted in her not participating in the talk about the graveyards, as she brought herself back to center. Still when she focused… She was fuzzy like that, it was murky… hard to not just give in and let her instincts guide her but… if she did some she… could help Vani.. and help Veronica.

So, at least for everyone else it was time for another wardrobe malfunction as Motet got on all fours once more, letting go of Vaneera’s hand she looked to her.

”I…. Can do it”

And then… she let it flow, and she took off on all fours down the graveyard, eventually stopping around a set of gravestones she turned to the team members who had likely followed her, trying to think how to communicate what she had found. Her first thought was to make herself bleed, and so she opened her mouth to clasp her teeth around her arm before she caught sight of Vaneera. The murkiness became easier as she shook her head.

”Blood…not beast, Human… or… Faunis… wait.. More, more!”

She took off again just as it seemed she calmed down, this time towards the crypts,, she circled them, sniffing up at the air, this time there was no… extreme measure being seen. But as the teammates came up she’d make herself over to Vaneera, curling up by her feet and looking up at the group.

”I smell… perfume, it’s that trashy expensive stuff Vani, the lavender is… in the air, it’s gross… does that… help? You could… find that type, maybe… I could tell if we saw….. it…

She then curled right up up to Vaneera’s feet, not moving from that spot as she seemed to glare around. Vanta and Muave got a low growl though a notable difference was that the fericness of Muave's was not nearly as much as Vanta's., while Veronica got a wordless smile of contentedness. Well… the team had seen Motet’s more feral side, to the extreme already, near the beginning of the year. Though this time wasn’t as extreme and perhaps even… useful? Still Vaneera would be the one best equipped to handle Motet when she was like this, before they continued on. After all, we woudn't want Motet to stay in her feral fog the whole time would we?

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    [HALLOWEEN] The Graveyard Shift [Team VOWL] Image

Raymu likes this post

Amord
    Amord
    Remilia's Husband
    Remilia's Husband
    Ten years

Post by Amord Wed 9 Nov 2022 - 0:25

The exchange between Vanta and Veronica... Vaneera wanted to say something about it -- but revealing anything about Devil right now was likely to cause more problems than it was worth. Besides, she had a real knack for showing up the second you start talking about her. She'd prefer to think that Devil wasn't coming back from that beating; but it was foolish to assume that was the case.

More importantly though, he mentioned that the Grimm hung around places like this, and typically got more active at night. It only made sense. During the day people were more confident, things felt less eerie to them. But the night itself was like an attractive beacon for the Grimm. Doubly so in a place like this.

"Yeah, I've noticed it for awhile now. Keep your eyes open, there's no telling if they'll take an interest in us or not."

Vanta continued talking about the kind of opportunities a Graveyard presented to shady people. While she could understand the thought process, the reality was a little bit more difficult than that. More or less like she thought as well, Motet was having a hard time keeping things under control; but she was really trying, too. But conversations pretty much weren't going to be her strong suit right now.

That meant Vaneera would be handling it in the meantime.

"There's a problem with that theory, if we're running with the idea that it's people abducting persons of interest.", Vaneera begins. With her free hand, she then gestures to the Graveyard around them.

"Imagine trying to make trips in and out of here. Especially while carrying someone. It's impossible for a single person. You would need at least one other person backing you up. Probably more to make it a lasting operation."

Vaneera pauses for a little bit, then adds; "None of the investigations suggested new or unknown faces around the village. I... Suppose a cult of some sort could be related. But nothing was found to suggest that either."

It just didn't add up. A hideout here presented it's own risks, then there was the concern of the numbers being easy to spot as far as the Village was concerned -- there should have been ANY number of things pointing to activity here, or leading to here.

"Still... As far as secret hideouts go, I have to admit, this is probably as secret it could get."

It was about then that she could feel Motet starting to pull away. Vaneera stopped talking and gently tugged her back -- only for Motet to reassure her that she can do this. Reluctantly, Vaneera lets her go, and watches Motet closely.

It's difficult for her, that much is very obvious; but she was already starting to reveal information that could be easily missed. She was about to say something as Motet drew her arm to her mouth -- but the visual exchange between the two prompted Motet to halt that action and speak instead.

Vaneera had been following along, keeping up with Motet surprisingly well. Eventually the 'chase' comes to an end along with Motet's investigation. She immediately retreats towards Vaneera, and the girl in the red cloak takes the time to kneel down and gently pet Motet's head to comfort her.

"You did well, Motet."

She was using a soothing tone. This was difficult for the both of them -- but especially so for Motet. Vaneera had to lend her aid right now... But even so, she'd look to the others on her Team.

"Looks like there has been activity here. I'll need a little bit to calm Motet down, but we will need to follow up these leads."

This was sure to raise questions from Vanta's perspective... But there was no use worrying about that now. Motet was the priority, Vaneera could figure everything else out later. So for now, she kept her attention on the girl lost in a feral fog.

"Stay as close to me as you need to, Motet."

It looked like this might take a little bit of time. So that left the others a chance to consider their options here.

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years

Post by Raymu Thu 10 Nov 2022 - 20:25

Mauve insisted that Veronica had faced things far scarier than this...She was right of course. Towering grimm that were a greater threat than any supposed living corpse were things someone would be justified in being scared of, but those were also tangible things the youngest Merlot daughter could attack and defeat. This was an unseen force! Something out of one of her horror novels. But Veronica did her best to ease herself, slowing her breathing down...Mauve could feel the smaller girl's heartbeat against her arm if she paid attention. It was very quick, but with a moment of time it slowed back to a normal pace.

"Y...You're right but...It's really creepy!"

Veronica shrank away from the excitable arcana as she insisted that dead people go in the ground. Vera didn't like the idea of standing on top of dead bodies much more than she did the idea of them getting up and moving. But thankfully the conversations they were having made it a little easier to distract herself.

Vanta nodded as each student took note of the grimm presence here. They were correct of course. Vaneera suggested caution while Mauve didn't seem particularly concerned. Being their teacher and experienced huntsmen meant being able to act within a split second. He was prepared to strike out against anything that might attack the four of them. But he also had a theory as he spoke up.

"Vaneera is correct. We should be careful of our surroundings, but I also don't think we have cause for concern. Some grimm...Are ambushers by nature. They lie in wait for an opportunity to attack. They won't strike out when we're all together like this. But that also means it's important we don't get separated. Now more than ever."

The others were each speaking about their own theories in regards to the location. Mauve cleverly pointed out that tunnels would allow someone to be here even despite the overwhelming difficulty of keeping it secure.

"And where would be the most ideal place to hide tunnels?"

Veronica meekly spoke up, she was calmer now but one could quite easily tell she still wasn't at her best at the moment. The location did her no favors, but she still powered through as best as she could.

"So you both think there could be some kind of hidden passage in one of the crypts...? I...Suppose that makes sense. It's a lot like some of the stories I've read. People hide passages to get from one place to another without being noticed. A...Although in my books it's usually inside a mansion, not a...Graveyard..."

Meanwhile Vaneera's theories were quite against the idea of anyone being able to use the graveyard. And she used simple facts that were undeniable. For most people an operation that involved mass kidnapping would not be viable if the grimm were around. But Vanta had a theory of his own in regards to all of that.

"You're right. For a normal person something this big would be impossible without leaving behind a massive profile of some kind. There's just no way to keep the grimm at bay and move silently...IF you were normal. As hunters we have to consider every possibility when investigating during a mission. It's entirely possible that someone could possess a semblance that allows them to move unnoticed by the grimm. If that were the case then using the graveyard as a hideout would be much easier. In fact at that point having the grimm around would act as extra security instead of being a detriment."

Before that line of thought could go any further however, Motet got on all fours and took off, prompting both Vanta and Veronica to chase after her. They weren't supposed to split up right now! Vanta glanced over to VOWL's leader with a look of confusion on his face.

"Does she do this...Often? I'm aware of her outburst in Beacon last semester, but I didn't think this was a common occurrence for Motet."

Veronica sighed, shaking her head.

"She...Lives a very sheltered life."

It really was the only justification Motet's leader could come up with for her behavior. It was something Vaneera was far better at explaining, but in a situation like this there was little time to stop and explain it all deeper. Motet was onto something! She stopped at graves and began explaining that she smelled blood. But if it didn't belong to any living creature...

"Grimm. Stay away from those for now. Last thing we want to do is draw them out. Just step away from them nice and easy."

Both Veronica and Vanta carefully considered what it could mean for grimm to be giving off the smell of blood. Was it something worth pursuing as a clue? Was it merely a false lead? There was little time to discuss it as Motet found another clue. Another smell she began to identify, this time around the crypts. The smell of lavender perfume...

"L...lavender perfume? That means someone's been here...But I don't smell anything myself. You don't think...It's a g-g-g-ghost?"

Vanta smiled at Veronica, shaking his head.

"I think the answer's a lot less paranormal than that. Someone was here at the crypts at some point. If it's that faint then it's been a while, at least a few hours. Then I guess this is the right place to check. Great work narrowing it down for us Motet."

He ignored the strange growling she threw his way, smiling at her. He took Mauve's suggestion into consideration, and then nodded at Vaneera's own words.

"I think it would be smart to have someone guard the entrance so we don't open ourselves up to attack. Since Vaneera needs some time to calm her teammate...Veronica you stay out here with these two. Mauve, follow me. Be ready for anything. There's no telling what could be inside."

Veronica gave their teacher a nod as she exhaled in relief. She then looked to Mauve, a small smile on her face.

"Be careful."

With Veronica's concerned warnings voiced Vanta pressed his open palms against the stone door of the mausoleum, the cold rock face radiating into his bare hands as he gave the door a push, the darkness within slowly giving way to the light of the outside...

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    More Things:
    Nothost
    Nothost
    Super Friend
    Super Friend
    Three years
    You've been a member for three whole years!

Post by Nothost Fri 11 Nov 2022 - 1:21

Mauve's mechanical ears were more sensitive than even her organic ones had been. Even if she hadn't felt her girlfriend's heartbeat against it, she heard it. She smiled at her as she felt it slow down.

"Of course it's creepy! We're in a graveyard on a mission. You'd be a weirdo if you weren't uncomfortable here. It's why grimm can get drawn to them."

Mauve kept close to her girlfriend, moving with her as she inched away from Motet. She glanced at Professor Vanta as he talked about Grimm.

"Grimm that ambush others tend to wait in enclosed spaces or wait for the cover of darkness.we should be okay during the day if we keep our wits about us."

Which of course brought them full circle back to the crypts. Mauve looked back at her girlfriend, letting out a chuckle at her statement.

"I bet you've got plenty of secret passages back home in your Mansion. It isn't as glamorous as they make it in the storybooks Veronica."

She pat Veronica's shoulder briefly, looking towards one of the mausoleums.

"Truth is people can come out to a graveyard for a lot of reasons. Most of jt ja graverobing. But if you wanted a place to hide and do shady stuff, crypts are a good place to do it. Especially if you know the structure inside and out. Old places can have all kinds of passages."

Mauve scratched her head, looking over at Vanta. "So basically if we're dealing with a perk doing shady crud, they would stand out in some way. Guess we should ask around if some villager has a semblance that allows for something like that."

Mauve looked over at Vaneera. She gave her teammate a smirk. "I didn't take you to be a horror junky. Crazy cults are boogiemen out in places like this. Secret hideouts and cults: wouldn't that be something?"

Mauve kept pace and followed both Vanta and her girlfriend after Motet.

"She does this kind of stuff all the time teach. I hope you don't get high blood pressure."

Mauve frowned as more information came to light. Things were getting weirder and weirder. "Perfume? Who's there to impress out here, the undertaker?"

Mauve nodded at Vanta. "Be right there teach! She smiled back at her team leader, bumping her fist against Veronica's shoulder gently.

"Don't worry about me. I'll be back in a jiffy Roni. I gotta go slay some Zombies real quick."

Mauve winked, then followed Vanta to the crypt. She helped him push it open. She looked around as they went inside. Rays of sunlight filtered through? Illuminating the crypt.

[HALLOWEEN] The Graveyard Shift [Team VOWL] Cemetery-Mausoleum2

Mauve walked over to one of the coffins and ran a gloved finger over one. She pinched her index and thumb together, frowning.

"Not a speck of dust anywhere. This place is damn clean for a crypt."

Mauve looked over at the far wall, taking a few steps and putting her hands on her hips.

[HALLOWEEN] The Graveyard Shift [Team VOWL] Cemetery-Mausoleum1

"Pretty ornate place for a small town. Somebody's taking care of this crypt. But if you're doing nefarious stuff, why bother to clean the place?"

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    [HALLOWEEN] The Graveyard Shift [Team VOWL] 2pq8T3s

Raymu likes this post

Lamia
    Lamia
    Chaotic Horny
    Chaotic Horny
    Five Years
    You've been part of our home for half a decade!

Post by Lamia Sat 19 Nov 2022 - 19:12

It probably looked weird to others, the sight of one woman leaning down to pet the other, like they were some sort of pet. But it wasn’t like that for Motet and Vaneera. Motet, in her feral state was more akin to an animal and so this was her way of showing the girl care. ‘Treating her like a pet’ was showing her affection, and it was how to handle Motet in this state. In response to that petting Motet gave off a purr, well, you could call it a purr… if Grimm purred, that is. But it was something Vaneera was used to, along with Motet rubbing her head head against the hooded girl’s leg in appreciation. Such a thing showed the connection the two shared, their bond. There was no one Motet trusted more, even when she went wild, or in this case into simply a feral state. Motet didn’t really understand the other people around her like this, it was as if they spoke a forign language, with her paying more attention to their bodily movements. But she understood Vaneera, she always did. She didn’t need to understand her words clearly to know what he wanted. When told to keep a close as she wanted she did just that. On all fours she he curled right up to Vaneera, her head trooped a bit with the energy in the area, causing her to pout, but staying close to Vaneera was her light in the darkness.

”Va…ni…”

Her words would come off as a growl, a series of Grimm like sounds to most people, but Vaneera in her experience would be able to make it out. The Arcania was winding down, slowly but surely. She was becoming content, or as content as she could be.

”Any..thing.. For Va…ni”

She gave another pout as she rubbed up against the hooded girl, more of her grimm speak coming out.

”So..rry… for… all…”

As Vanta and Mauve proceeded into the crypt Motet looked to to her team leader with another pout, giving her grimm like muel

”Help….ful….?”

She would then lean against Vaneera once more, briefly grimsing, showing the struggle she's going through, even though she was getting better at it. This was but a small glimpse of what Vaneera had gone through in earlier years, and why she was so good at handling her now. A simple hand touched Vaneera’s playfully with a smile, another invited Veronica to come over with them.

Motet was simple like this, in thought and action, but perhaps that simpleness had its own charm?

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    [HALLOWEEN] The Graveyard Shift [Team VOWL] Image

Raymu likes this post

Amord
    Amord
    Remilia's Husband
    Remilia's Husband
    Ten years

Post by Amord Mon 21 Nov 2022 - 13:21

When it came to the debate of using the Graveyard as a potential hideout... Each member had their own thoughts on it. Vanta giving a reasonable response, and Mauve mostly poking fun with the 'horror junkie' comment.

"Hmm. I only suggest a cult because even with a Semblance that lets you move through the Grimm, new faces would still stick out in the village. It's not like back at Vale. But I also don't see anyone in the village doing something like this without a reason. Plus there's the fact that it's only started happening recently."

If there was a long history of this, it almost assuredly would have come up. Everything going on right now had to be happening recently -- and in that case, that makes anyone in the village an unlikely suspect... Unless you have a cult. Then all bets are off.

"Either way, we don't have enough information yet to determine anything... So, the investigation continues."

Though what became even more pressing as a discussion was the 'outburst' from Motet, with Vanta naturally asking questions about her being like this.

"Yeah. We've had a pretty complicated past. We're working on it, though.", she explains briefly. "It's a long story, so there's no sense going into it now. Don't worry, though. I can handle this."

Vaneera DID shoot a look at Mauve over her particular explanation of Motet, though...

Some might have thought that the headpat from Vaneera and Motet's behavior implied a "master and pet" type relationship between the two. But this exchange between Motet and Vaneera was sure to put such a thought to rest. Whatever happened to the two of them was obviously complicated, and it meant that Vaneera was shouldering a lot of responsibility. Always going out of her way to look after Motet.

Though it hardly came across as an imposition in the present circumstances. She gives a nod as Motet's words come out in a growl -- though not out of hostility. Merely out of a struggle to contain the feral urges.

"That's right. I'm here."

Vaneera continues to smile softly. Motet's next words came out with the same level of struggle; but Vaneera had no troubles understanding the words nonetheless.

"You don't have to push yourself so hard like that... But I am proud of you, Motet."

Vaneera catches sight of Vanta and Mauve heading down to investigate further in the Crypts. Veronica opted to stay behind at the moment -- which was probably for the best, and not just because she was understandably uneasy right now. Vaneera and Motet needed an extra pair of eyes right now, and Veronica could do that.

Motet then asks if she was helpful, and to that Vaneera gives another calm nod.

"Of course you were. You found us some very useful leads."

When Motet's hand playfully touched Vaneera's hand, it prompted the red-haired girl's smile to become more noticeable.

If anything happened... Vaneera would protect Motet and Veronica. They also had to be sure to cover Vanta and Mauve right now. When Motet gestures for Veronica to come over, Vaneera glances at her.

"Looks like Motet wants to help you too, Veronica. You can count on her if you're still feeling uneasy."

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯

Raymu likes this post

Raymu
    Raymu
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    ☯Best Boy 2021☯
    Ten years

Post by Raymu Tue 22 Nov 2022 - 14:47

Mauve insisted that anyone would find a graveyard creepy. It was just the nature of a place like this. Veronica couldn't find herself disagreeing, even if the faunus had a...Unique way of expressing as much. Although, even despite Mauve stating that few people would find a graveyard comforting, Vera scratched her head briefly, speaking up as she glanced upwards at her lover's face.

"Well...Maybe you're right. But Amber told me about these things called "Goths" that really like gloomy stuff...Mauve have you ever seen a goth? Are they real?"

Veronica...Really was sheltered...Still, Mauve was right about the risk the grimm currently posed. As long as everyone kept aware and didn't wander off alone, they would be safe. Vanta nodded in agreement with his student's assessment.

"Even if they do attack us, ambush type grimm don't tend to attack in numbers. We shouldn't have a problem taking them down considering we outnumber them. Just make sure not to wander off too far without a partner."

The role of a teacher in this situation was difficult. As far as the authority of the academies were concerned, these were all young adults that were more than capable of defending themselves. Vanta agreed with that assessment, and didn't want to hold their hands too closely, but something about this whole area felt off...He couldn't help worrying for their safety. At this moment he wondered how the other teachers were handling their own investigations. Were they having success in their search? Were they safe? Though Vanta didn't let these strange feelings consume him, he was starting to understand why ORNG had fallen apart like they did. As the students all spoke among themselves their teacher looked down at the ground for a moment, muttering to himself under his breath.

"Poor kids...They didn't even have backup."

Meanwhile Veronica blushed and became flustered at Mauve's teasing. As the bigger girl chuckled over a comment on the merlot daughter's home having hidden passages, Vera quickly denied it, her face flush with embarrassment.

"W-We don't have anything like that! Snow and I already looked!"

Vanta snapped out of his thoughts for a moment to interject, stepping forward.

"As absurd as it might sound, I think Veronica has a point."

Veronica's eyes widened in surprise as he agreed with what she was thinking. She hadn't actually expected someone to take a comment about the books she read seriously. Vera blinked, staring at her teacher.

"Wait, I do?"

With a quick nod, Vanta began clarifying what he meant by that.

"I doubt it's anything like a hidden staircase behind a bookshelf. But more well-off families sometimes like to be buried with some of their possessions. Jewelry, rare pottery, expensive knick knacks.

Vanta glanced over at Mauve as she brought up the type of people who would typically come to a graveyard, giving a nod. It allowed him to segue into his point.

"Things that are a goldmine for the grave robbers Miss Lolanthe just mentioned. I don't think it's absurd that someone could have created hidden compartments to hide their treasures. A defense mechanism against the very same people who would be brazen enough to steal from someone who can't defend themselves anymore."

Mauve made a fair query however...It wasn't entirely out of place that someone in the village could have possessed exactly the semblance that would fit the capability theorized. Vanta paused for a moment, thinking it over before finally nodding.

"I agree with Vaneera that the villagers are pretty unlikely suspects. But I think that's exactly the kind of low profile that would allow someone to pull this off unnoticed. It's too early to really start pointing fingers...But I think speaking with the villagers is still an excellent idea. As many of them as we can get to willingly open up. For now though...Miss White is correct. We have to keep investigating and hope more concrete leads show themselves."

Naturally, Mauve and Vaneera had explanations for Motet's episode. By all accounts it was pretty strange to someone outside of their team...But Vanta had read the reports about what happened to Motet on the campus before. He assumed it was an unresolved trauma. Maybe it wasn't his place to pry, but teachers had a duty to care about the mental and physical health of those they taught.

"Alright. But if it gets too serious I'm open to talk with you two about it. You can trust me."

He looked over at Mauve with a smile.

"Believe me, I wouldn't have accepted Ozpin's offer if I wasn't ready to see some strange things. You don't become a hunter without seeing a few things you can't quite explain."

If only Vanta knew just how true that statement really was...

Veronica smiled as Mauve playfully bumped her shoulder, a small blush on her face as she glanced over.

"Alright...But if you die I'm gonna kill you Mo."

Veronica responded with some light teasing of her own, deciding to take a seat on the ground outside the tomb as she waited for the two to return. She glanced up at Motet, giving her a soft smile and a nod.

"You helped a lot Motet. Thank you."

She listened to Vaneera speak, mentioning that it was okay for her to come over. Vera thought it over silently for a moment, glancing around the desolate graveyard and feeling a chill run down her spine. Veronica slowly stood up and walked closer to the other two, getting down on a knee to sit eye-level with Motet.

"I'm here for you too, Motet."

She wanted to help the unsteady girl just as much as Motet was trying to help her with her own unease...

With the door open, Mauve and Vanta stepped into the crypt, a cold, quiet place that was somehow even more unnerving than the graveyard they had just left. Though their sight was unobstructed by fog, opening the door led to some of that dreary mist leaking inside.

Vanta took out his scroll, activating the light on it and attaching it to his belt. What little shadows were left untouched by sunlight were drawn away by the scroll's own artificial light source. He walked further in as the faunus girl stopped at a coffin, inspecting it and finding it completely devoid of any dust.

"Odd...I did see a gravekeeper listed in the information we were given, but I don't think they would go this far in their duty...It's not exactly a job most people want to dedicate themselves to."

He stopped at a gate inside the crypt which separated some coffins from the entrance.

"Take a look at this. Someone broke the lock on it. Whoever was in here definitely wasn't supposed to be. I think we're on the right track."

Their teacher soon joined Mauve in observing the walls inside this antechamber, her comments keeping his mind running as he tried his best to piece things together.

"Maybe they were hoping to cover their tracks? But it doesn't really line up with what I'm seeing, either. They made no effort to cover up the broken lock. What's more..."

He walked over to the ornate wall, detaching the scroll from his belt and crouching down.

"It's faint but there's traces of dirt pressed up against this wall. It's almost spotless in here but someone missed something."

Vanta stood up, held his light up against the wall, and began to feel around with his free hand. He pressed against bricks, felt his way around the mortar-filled cracks, and searched for any kind of indentation...Eventually his efforts hit paydirt.

"Look here."

He held his light up to a specific spot on the wall. A square hole lined with brass fittings. It clearly wasn't just a piece of the wall giving way. This hole was designed for something to slot into it. Eventually his search led him to finding a second hole across from the first one, designed exactly the same way.

"I think your leader was onto something after all. Keep your eyes pealed for anything with a square peg."

☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯☯
    More Things:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 6 May 2024 - 14:09